The Hobbit

The Hobbit is still on track for a December 2011 release according to Jackson.

Do you know the two years you guys are aiming for with The Hobbit to come out.

Jackson: Nothing has changed as far as I am concerned. Somebody wrote something on the internet and a lot of nonsense happened. You don?t want to believe everything you read on the internet. We were due to deliver the scripts and be shooting sometime around April and now I think I said in an interview we were shooting in June. And somehow people are now saying the film is delayed. As far as I am aware, they are not delayed at all. I am not even sure when we are going to start shooting?we are delivering the scripts just after Christmas they?ll be finished and we?ll be shooting as soon as we possibly can. But you need a certain amount of time to finish the pre-production.

So you believe in December 2011 the first part is going to be in theaters.

Jackson: At this stage, that is certainly the plan. Yeah.

http://www.collider.com/2009/12/04/exclusi...-is-still-2011/

• 1 month later...

Casting Calls are out!

[bILBO] A well-to-do, respectable Hobbit.... Although he doesn’t realize it himself, BILBO has a good deal of courage; he can be practical and resilient. He has a good sense of humour, and is able to appreciate the ridiculous. He is very quick on the uptake and is well read having been encouraged to read widely by his mother. The most distinguishing characteristic about BILBO is his humanity; he is empathetic with a big heart and generous spirit. LEAD. AGE: 25-35. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P.

[THORIN OAKENSHEILD] Heir to the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, Thorin Oakensheild was forced to lead his people far away from their homelands into exile in the Blue Mountains. Powerfully built and a legendary fighter, Thorin has led a tough and dangerous life and it shows on his face. He is sharp eyed and sharp tongued, proud in his bearing and un-trusting of those he does not know. But Thorin is also capable of intense loyalty, immense courage and surprising gentleness and humour. Thorin will be required to wear a wig and beard and some minor prosthetics make-up, like a nose or forehead, is possible. LEAD. AGE: EARLY 40’S to MID 50’S. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[FILI & KILI] Two Dwarf brothers, nephews to Thorin Oakensheild, the legendary Dwarf Lord who is heir to the Kingdom of Erebor. Fili and Kili are of noble lineage, not that you would necessarily know it from their relaxed demeanor. Fili being the elder of the two (Fili is probably fair haired, but this is not essential.) They are both good- looking, strong and expert fighters having been trained with weapons as from a young age.. Kili is more carefree and reckless. Fili and Kili will be required to wear a wig and beard, and some minor prosthetics make-up, like a nose or forehead, is possible. LEAD. AGE: EARLY TO MID 20’S. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[bARD] A BOWMAN in LAKETOWN, BARD is a direct descendant of the LORDS of DALE. Strong, weather-beaten and powerfully built, he is married with a young son. Quietly spoken, he keeps himself to himself, not bragging about his noble lineage or his skill as an archer.. LEAD. AGE: 35-48. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR REGIONAL ENGLISH, IRISH, WELSH, SCOTTISH (SHOULD NOT BE HEAVILY ACCENTED).

[GLOIN] A DWARF of the line of Durin. He is related to the more noble Family of Thorin Oakenshield, being a distant cousin. Of all the Company of Dwarves who set out on the Quest to The Lonely Mountain GLOIN is the most outspoken, opinionated and is not afraid to challenge authority. He has a tendency to be something of a gloom merchant, but despite this dourness, GLOIN is also strong and brave and loyal - and ultimately a lovable and endearing character. Well known to audiences as the FATHER of GIMLI. Gloin will be required to wear a wig and beard and some minor prosthetics make-up, like a nose or forehead, is possible. LEAD. AGE: 40-50. ACCENT: MUST HAVE A SCOTTISH ACCENT.

[RADAGAST THE BROWN] One of the Istari... Like the other five Wizards, RADAGAST has taken the form of an old man. Somewhat scruffy and prone to wandering the wilds,. He is however a close friend of GANDALF the Grey who holds him in great affection and admires RADAGAST’s gentle spirit.. He has a cheery disposition and a twinkle in his eye; RADAGAST is eccentric, forgetful and easily distracted. This role will require a wig, beard and possible prosthetic make- up. LEAD. AGE: 50-70. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[iTARIL] FEMALE, A WOODLAND ELF, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King’s Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P.

[ELF WARRIOR] An ELF-LORD of RIVENDELL. Tall and good-looking, he is very athletic and comes from a noble family. Wry and dry, with a sharp sense of humour, when forced into battle however, he is deadly with both sword and bow. Like all his race, he is a master horseman. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may be required. LEAD. AGE: 20-30. ACCENT - STANDARD R.P.

[THE MAYOR] Otherwise know as The MASTER OF LAKETOWN – he is the quintessential politician. He is clever and cunning and has survived for a long time in his comfortable position through a combination of exaggerated promises and fear mongering. He is used to being in command and having people follow his lead; but when push comes to shove, he will always put his own needs first. LEAD. AGE: 40-60. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[PRIMULA BRANDYBUCK] Primula is a bright, lively and pretty young Hobbit. She is considered to be ‘wayward’ and ‘not proper’. But PRIMULA doesn’t care. - Prone to letting words and thoughts tumble out of her mouth without pause, PRIMULA can also be acutely observant. Kind hearted with a loving nature, she is the type of person who can light up a room sptv050769. LEAD. AGE: 18-27 STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[DROGO] Bilbo’s cousin, he has known Bilbo all his life and ends up becoming Frodo's father. Drogo's outgoing, friendly - likes his food and good ale and the companionship of others.. He is good looking, well liked and well known around The Shire and is a bit of a ladies man (in contrast to Bilbo.) He's not interested in the outside world. In fact, he's quite happy and content with his lot. He is naturally funny in that unintentional, Hobbity, English Village sort of way - someone who is immediately likable. LEAD. AGE: 25-35. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT (SHOULD NOT BE HEAVILY ACCENTED).

[ALFRID] A civil servant, devoted to the MAYOR largely out of self-interest. He is of indeterminate age - could be young, could be old. Despite being subservient he has his own agenda. Although he will take calculated risks - he is not a brave man. LEAD. AGE: 30-70. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

[sMAUG] VOICEOVER ONLY. Two hundred years earlier, the Dragon SMAUG came down from the barren northern reaches and laid waste to the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. Sitting upon his pile of gold, he has grown to a truly immense size. Old and yet not old, his voice still carries the sense of a sharp and lethal mind. He is the most deadly creature in all Middle-earth - and he knows it. Sly, quick and ferociously intelligent SMAUG is a dangerous opponent and not one to under-estimate. If he has weakness it is his unbridled greed and his arrogance. His voice is part of what gives him is power - his ability to seduce, persuade and flatter, even to display a degree of charm. But any sense of civility or consideration for others is utterly false. He is merciless and without empathy for any other living creature. He is a killer sptv050769. AGE: 40-70. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P ACCENT

Source: SpoilerTV

• 3 weeks later...

[Warners top dog Alan] Horn won?t predict when the first of the two Hobbit films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Slashfilm

[Warners top dog Alan] Horn won?t predict when the first of the two Hobbit films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Slashfilm

More to Rappys post:

In an article at Variety talking about New Line Cinema, which two years ago became a unit under Warner Bros. Pictures, studio executive Alan Horn reveals that the first of the two Hobbit films may not hit theaters until late 2012, a full year after the previously-announced December 2011 release:

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.

Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

New Line's original plan was to release the first film in December 2011, followed by the second one in December 2012. One reason for the delay may be the restructuring of MGM, which shares the financing rights with New Line for the "Hobbit" films. MGM is currently accepting bids for the studio and those rights may go to another studio (Warner Bros. is said to be one of the bidders).

Tomato_Sauce_Masterfood.jpg

I'm still annoyed that Topher Grace has got the lead, How the hell did he manage that? :no:

There was something about Toby Maguire playing Bilbo the other day which as far as I'm aware is utter crap?

I thought there was talk of Andy Serkis doing the voice for Smaug? (not that I remember him talking in the book)

There's nothing official about that... is there?

Nah sorry wrong person it was Tobey Maguire as Pc_Madness pointed out.

There was something about Toby Maguire playing Bilbo the other day which as far as I'm aware is utter crap?

I thought there was talk of Andy Serkis doing the voice for Smaug? (not that I remember him talking in the book)

Thanks for the correction and yeah i agree with that. Since when do they ever go by the book so he may talk in this.

Orlando Bloom interested in playing Legolas in The Hobbit (Filmonic)

Over the years we?ve heard from nearly every Lord of the Rings cast member about whether they would be interesting in returning to Middle Earth for The Hobbit. The response from just about everyone (except Ian McKellen) is that they?d love too, however they don?t think their characters are required. The same thing was echoed again recently when MTV spoke to Orlando Bloom about possibly returning to play Legolas.

?I shot an e-mail to Pete and I said, ?You know, if you want me to don the blonde wig and pointy ears again, I?d be honored to do it,?? Bloom revealed. ?He said, ?Well, we?ll see.? They?re very, very hush-hush.?

It?s not particularly likely that Bloom?s services would be required for ?The Hobbit? as Legolas has no role in the original story, though it?s always possible that the actor could play Thranduil, Legolas? father who appears as the Elvenking in the story. But even if Bloom doesn?t return to Middle-Earth, he?s more than happy to see what Jackson and Del Toro have in store.

?It?s Guillermo?s movie and I?m a huge fan of that man,? said the actor. ?He?s obviously going to take his own idea of it, but I?m excited for that movie. I think it?s going to be great.?

Legolas isn?t in The Hobbit so it is unlikely he will appear, however Tolkien fansite TheOneRing.net has posted a lengthy argument as to why Legolas could appear. To cut to the point: While Legolas wasn?t mentioned in The Hobbit book, he apparently mentioned in the films that he is 2,931 years old, and therefore would be around during the events of The Hobbit. This could give del Toro and Peter Jackson an excuse to bring Bloom back if they wanted

Aren't they doing a second movie after the hobbit? It'd be nice to have Legolas and Aragon, Gandalf back for that, since they all seem to know each other before TLOTR and its not like they're bound to a story for this one. :) (I never thought I'd be hoping for a movie to stray from the books / comics :p)

• 1 month later...

Guillermo del Toro Confirms Hobbit 3D Discussions

Last year it was rumored that the Peter Jackson-produced Guillermo del Toro-directed two-film adaptation of The Hobbit would be filmed in 3D. del Toro was quick to deny the claims, stating ?we are not talking about 3D, we are NOT writing the screenplay for 3D right now- we are hiring my DoP Guillermo Navarro to shoot the film and we are not discussing 3D with him either or with WETA digital or WB or anyone else.? Guillermo noted at the time that ?after Avatar the market may change and? they might ?start discussing 3D down the line.?

He promised that if a day should ever come around, he would inform the Lord of the Rings fan community on the TORN forums. Well, Avatar came and went, taking over $2.5 billion worldwide, and that day has come?

del Toro wrote the following on TheOneRing.net forums:

I wouldn?t read much on it just yet, but now, after all this time, after AVATAR doing the Box Office it did, we have had enquires from above about The Hobbit being in 3-D. No impositions or heavy leaning. Just enquires. Just fulfilling my promise to let you all know if discussions ever started. Cheers, GDT

I?m assuming that MGM/Warner Bros will decide to shoot the film in 3D, or at very least, create the 3D in post production.

Source

• 3 weeks later...

The Peter Jackson-produced, Guillermo del Toro-directed two-film adaptation of The Hobbit will begin shooting in June.

This according to actor Ian McKellen, who is returning as Gandalf. He wrote the following on his official website:

THE HOBBIT?s, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in June. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons? and the studio in Miramar.

Source

• 2 months later...

Del Toro Won't Direct The Hobbit - Director exits Lord of the Rings prequel

Sad news from Middle-Earth (or New Zealand, as they still insist on calling it): Guillermo del Toro will no longer direct The Hobbit.

The Mexican director, who has been in heavy development and prep for the Lord of the Rings prequel for the past couple of years, announced the news in a joint statement with producer Peter Jackson via TheOneRing.net just a short while ago.

?In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming ?The Hobbit,? I am faced with the hardest decision of my life?, says del Toro. ?After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien?s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I?ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director?.

Jackson adds: We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone?s control ? has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn?t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I?ve ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo?s strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA?.

It?s a sad day for fans of the Lord of the Rings movies, of JRR Tolkien and of del Toro himself. The Hobbit seemed to be the big-budget blockbuster he was born to make but, as filming of the two-movie saga kept being pushed back because of the MGM situation, it became clear that something would have to give on del Toro?s packed dance-card; a card that?s already bulging with movies post-Hobbit, the continuation of his novel series, The Strain, with Chuck Hogan, and the development of his own label, Disney Double Dare You.

And, while it may be initially surprising that it was The Hobbit that del Toro ticked off his to-do list, in the long run it may be the best move for him. He?ll still be involved with the movies ? he?ll continue to co-write the screenplays with Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens, while his design input will be vital ? but this will allow him the time and opportunity to make movies that might be more personal.

So now the search for a new director begins. With, in theory, just a few months until filming begins on the first Hobbit film, will Jackson step into the breach? Will Sam Raimi, who was vying with del Toro for the gig in the first place, ditch the Warcraft movie to play with some real Orcs? Or will someone new come into the reckoning?

Whatever happens, we?re confident that The Hobbit will make it to the big screen, although we wouldn?t be surprised if the release dates ? currently around the Christmases of 2012 and 2013 - got pushed back a bit. It?s just a shame that del Toro ? the greatest purveyor of twisted fantasy working in movies today ? won?t get a chance to work his dark magic on Middle-Earth.

Still, how about that At The Mountains Of Madness movie now, eh?

To read more of the statement, particularly from Jackson, click here.

That's really disappointing news! Hopefully they'll be able to find a director which can carry on the LOTR saga in the proper spirit....