Wii Chess looks unbelievably dull

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/12/2...the-real-thing/

Really expected Nintendo to do a bit better here, I mean I know the Wii isn't a graphics powerhouse but they could at least have tried to go in three-dimensions. And I can see that music grating very, very fast.

On a more positive note however - if they released this as Wii Software rather than at retail outlets I could see it being quite successful.

Personally even if this was a cheap title .. what incentive do I have to buy it? What does it offer to me that free alternatives available for download don't ... ?

I agree Jimmy, seems a bit 'meh'. I can't even think how this is a good showcase of the Wii's remote - like Wii Sports is.

When you realize it's mate in 4 you can swipe all the pieces off the board in a furious rage!

It'd be interesting to see how strong the cpu opponents are at least.

Its chess, how exciting do you think the game can get? :p

I don't personally see how chess can be enjoyable without it actually being a proper chess et in front of you and another, the interaction between the two players is what makes it more fun.

Seriously? What console?

Chessmaster and Fritz series (pc and some consoles) have 3d boards with cameras that move on all axis. I've always stuck with the flat boards, the 3d boards don't feel like a real one to me, and its easier to move pieces especially in blitz and bullet games.

Internet Channel + flash+chess = free chess on the Wii.

Why would I pay for what looks basically like the same thing? I'm just going to turn the sound off and put on the radio anyway (if I were to ever do this, I prefer to play chess on a board though).

what do you expect from a chess game? lasers? this is not meant to be a AAA title like mario galaxy..... MP3 support is needed though

Something that doesn't appear to be 2 dimensional? Chess Titans looks loads better than this.

Yeah that's a pretty cool idea, but still wouldn't purchase it for that alone. It'll definitely be interesting how this sells and how much the sales have to do with having "Wii" in it's name.

boring boring boring, who would buy this at retail? This should a cheap downloadable if anything. I mean XBLA titles are far more interesting than this and they aren't sold at retail. This really shouldn't be part of the "Wii" series of games.

i think they are just trying to boost the wii wifi games list.

hopefully they do something like a wiifit channel style "wii chess" channel

There must be more to this game than we realise. why did this take so long to develop when they originally announced it?