$99 HD-DVD player! (Boxing day in canada)

Okay, where not talking about the A3 here but a special version made for some stores (Costco, FutureShop, ...) it's the HD-D3. Comes with the same 2 movies in the box.

Looks to be the same exact thing as the A3.... I don't get that one... Why do a D3 that is the same as the A3? Funny thing is, FutureShop also sell the A3, A30, A35....

So they can have a sale on one that no one can match. Special model # = no competition for that model.

So they can have a sale on one that no one can match. Special model # = no competition for that model.

Absolutely correct.

This is truly a great moment for consumers. HD DVD has now reached $99 on A3s. Now we have MSRP on A3s at $180 on Amazon and A30 at $240. It won't be too much longer before we can get A3s for $100 everywhere. Seems like that A2 $99 wasn't really the firesale since a lot of people said that there's no way that HD DVD players will be $99 again.

Well, This may not be a truly great moment for consumers.... Since both Futureshop.ca and BestBuy.ca website are down since 8PM, exactly at the time they where supposed to be UP for the GREAT Boxing Day sell on the Web....

So people will have to go in line at the 26th to maybe get one....

What's a good sale for when you can't have it?

Yeah, I was waiting for Futureshop.ca for about an hour and 45 minutes, then I gave up and went to go play Guitar Hero.

An HD-DVD player would be nice, but no means a necessity. I am actually quite happy with DVD quality on my HDTV.

I'm a little disappointed, since I was there when the site first came online (4:56 PM PST) and I didn't get an HD-DVD player, but it's not too big of a deal.

So.... If all stand-alone HD-DVD player sell like hot cakes.... And combined with the fact that you can't find a Blu-Ray player for $99.... Does it mean that (maybe) one day, HD-DVD will have a lead in this war?

Or maybe lots of people will find PS3 under the Xmas tree.... So Blu would still win?

Grrrrr.... I hate this war.

Sumeet beat me to the punch. Enjoy murdering a stranger on Boxing Day.

LOL.. I just saw some people posting photos of complete disaster. People were going nuts for those players. One guy says, he got there at 5 am and he saw this:

Line-500.jpg

Some photos of the stocks from another store:

Palette1-500.jpg

Palette2-500.jpg

I went at 4:30am to the downtown Future Shop at the AMC Forum, with my brother-in-law. We were about 12th in line, and ended up getting 2 more LCD panels with 3 of the HD-D3s for me, him and my mother-in-law. (Y) Time to wait 16 weeks for my 5 free movies. ;)

One thing to remember about Best Buy/Future Shop Boxing Day says are that after the boxing day sale ends, in less than 2 weeks, the boxing day prices are now regular prices.

One thing to remember about Best Buy/Future Shop Boxing Day says are that after the boxing day sale ends, in less than 2 weeks, the boxing day prices are now regular prices.

On some last year items maybe, but for everything else, it's back to normal pricing....

As for my experience with FutureShop, well, they only had 15 HD-D3 in store and they where gone in 5 minutes. FutureShop said thay had only 300 players Quebec wide... So stores did not get that much...

I when to Walmart, and guess what, the Venturier HD-DVD was at... $199... No boxing day sale for the Venturier. BUT! They did sold sh*t load of PlayStation 2 for $99....

And the lowest priced Blu-Ray player? Well it's the Profile 1.0 Samsung at $299, next in line was... The PS3/40Gb at $399 (upgradable to Profile 1.1).

Better luck next time...

I tried my luck with the Toshiba HD-D3 at a local Futureshop and it was long gone. I went to Wal-Mart and saw the Venturer HD-DVD player for $199. I was looking forward to a $99 HD-DVD player. Oh damn I forgot to go to Sam's Club.. ugh! :cry:

Says who?

Its something I've noticed in the past boxing day sales, I'm pretty certain that we will see the same HD DVD players for $99 once again in January or February. :D

An HD-DVD player would be nice, but no means a necessity. I am actually quite happy with DVD quality on my HDTV.

I'm a little disappointed, since I was there when the site first came online (4:56 PM PST) and I didn't get an HD-DVD player, but it's not too big of a deal.

to each his own, i guess. i couldnt imagine going back to DVD now that i have HD DVD.

sorry to hear you didnt get one. next time perhaps.

was that crazy line JUST for the D3 or were there other awesome toys on sale?