SAMSUNG LE40M86BD

What are people's thoughts on this set? I've been looking for a decent 40" LCD set for a while and this one stood out to me so far.

Anybody have this set think it's decent?

Thanks Couch Potato, I do like Samsung screens :)

Any reason why that one above the one I mentioned dh5?

It seems that only has 10000:1 contrast ratio whereas the other has 15000:1, shouldn't more be better?

They look pretty identical aside from that. :s

edit: I've just seen the LE40F86, I like that for 25000:1 contrast ratio, as well as the improved Movie Plus. Not sure though because it is ?300 more.

Edited by Dave MB

You are right, the M87 is perhaps better but i added my choice as you may save quite a bit of money. I also think the N87 is a newer model, may have a better processor

You are right, the M87 is perhaps better but i added my choice as you may save quite a bit of money. I also think the N87 is a newer model, may have a better processor

The M86 is currently ?768.00 at Dixons, the F86 just over ?1000 at Amazon. The N87 is nice but it doesn't swing me as much against those two, not least in contrast ratio.

Anybody had any experience running VGA through one of these sets, what is the resolution it accepts and is the quality good through VGA (ie. not a washed white look you can sometimes get).

I have a 40 inch 1080p Samsung LCD. Different model than you are talking about, but I love it. The one you posted actually has somewhat better specs than mine, so I'm assuming you shouldn't have any problems with it.

As for VGA I never tried it on my 40 inch, but I have used it on my 32 inch Samsung and it seems fine. I might try connecting one of my laptops to my 40 inch someday soon to see what it's like.

Oh and don't base your purchase off of specs such as contrast ratios. Go and actually look at them. Sometimes you might not even notice a difference so paying more for one because on paper it is better isn't necessarily worth it.

I think I'll take a trip to Currys/Dixons or somewhere in the coming days to see the range.

I'm very much liking the F86 though.

I'd just like to add this will be going with a new PC build I'm working on, with 8600GTS w/HDMI in SLI for BluRay/HD-DVD.

Edited by Dave MB

Bangbang will come and tell you not to look at these contrast ratio's because there are no defaults. He is right there so don't worry about the numbers.

i hope you haven't bought those video cards yet (with 8600GTS w/HDMI in SLI for BluRay/HD-DVD.) i'd rather use two hd2600XT's instead for their full HDMI/HDCP compliance and UVD chip puts a lot less load on your cpu and they draw less power to boot and you get video and audio all in one HDMI connector for less cable clutter

Bangbang will come and tell you not to look at these contrast ratio's because there are no defaults. He is right there so don't worry about the numbers.

So you're saying it's just a gimmick in the specs?

i hope you haven't bought those video cards yet (with 8600GTS w/HDMI in SLI for BluRay/HD-DVD.) i'd rather use two hd2600XT's instead for their full HDMI/HDCP compliance and UVD chip puts a lot less load on your cpu and they draw less power to boot and you get video and audio all in one HDMI connector for less cable clutter

I haven't yet, no. Are you sure, the difference between the two seems negligible according to this compared to the 8800GTX. If the audio and video will be going through the HDMI to the TV, how will I get the sound to the speakers I'm planning to buy (Logitech Z5400). Do the new Radeon HD3850 cards perform well with 1080p content?

I have this TV set and it's awesome. Hook up a decent source like xbox at 1080p and it looks spot on. Cant recommend this TV enough, especially how cheap it's become.

Thanks for this, do you use the Movie Plus feature? I've seen it in action before watching Die Hard on Freeview and I didn't seem to like it much back then, has it improved since last year? Another reason why I looked at the F86 as you can set the Movie Plus to Low/Medium/High. Hmmm