[Request] GPS recommendations

I'm thinking of getting a portable GPS unit for my dad so he doesn't have to keep a pile of maps around the car all the time. We've never had one so please shed some light on the different features to look for; thx!

definately recommend the Tomtom 520,720 or 920 (current high range from tomtom)depending on your budget. if your not looking for handfree bluetooth calling then the Tomtom ONE XL is ideal for a low budget which is the new range with wide screen. tomtom has good decent software and regular software updates to improve the tomtom interface with new tweaked/features. navman and garmin tend to have less updates and seem to be prone to more glitches than tomtom form my 4 year experience with repairs to GPS units..

and some garmin/navman and RAC model ranges have a dedicated gas fuse internally (all come with one spare)- if these wear out then its cost in the long run. whichever one you do go for- see the unit in person before buying.

i will never buy a tomtom.. i currently have the 910 and have also had the tomtomeONE and they both sucked... make a right turn in 2.8 miles, make a right turn in 2.7 miles, make a right turn in 2.6 miles.. all the way down to the last foot.. geez..

the nuvi is what i would buy now.. the 360 i think it was i was after.. good looking and works very nice, i just don't like how it has to repeat every letter you tap when putting in an address.

i will never buy a tomtom.. i currently have the 910 and have also had the tomtomeONE and they both sucked... make a right turn in 2.8 miles, make a right turn in 2.7 miles, make a right turn in 2.6 miles.. all the way down to the last foot.. geez..

the nuvi is what i would buy now.. the 360 i think it was i was after.. good looking and works very nice, i just don't like how it has to repeat every letter you tap when putting in an address.

They really do that? My Pioneer AVIC system only goes in increments like "in 10 miles turn left"... "in 2 miles turn left".... "in 100 ft turn left"... "turn left here"

They really do that? My Pioneer AVIC system only goes in increments like "in 10 miles turn left"... "in 2 miles turn left".... "in 100 ft turn left"... "turn left here"

my 910 starts with miles, yards, feet, then "MAKE A RIGHT TURN, MAKE A RIGHT TURN, OMG OFF COURSE, RECALCULATING"

I would turn the volume off and simply look at the map, but there's another very annoying thing it does. i can't speak for the newer models like the 920.

for example, you're on a freeway and one mile you have to get on to another freeway and it splits North and South. the screen should simply tell you with an arrow giving you which way you will end up going, or at least in words say South, sort of like a "your next move" so you can better prepare yourself with lane changes especially during traffic hours.

my 910 is retarded, it will show South, then out of no where, TAKE THE NORTH RAMP!

I might get the Magellen 4400 or was it the 4300.. i really liked the read out and the screen, not too expensive either.

I advise you to get the new Mio, model name escapes me. It's a real good one. I can't give you an exact review because I've only driven with it once but it was a great GPS.

I got the Mio Digiwalker C230. Pretty slick unit for the price. It really depends on how much you want to spend. You might check out DL.TV.

They have a couple of episodes with recommendations on units in price brackets. I got this one according to their recommendations.

If you want better, go with Garmin, but you'll pay for it also.

my 910 starts with miles, yards, feet, then "MAKE A RIGHT TURN, MAKE A RIGHT TURN, OMG OFF COURSE, RECALCULATING"

I would turn the volume off and simply look at the map, but there's another very annoying thing it does. i can't speak for the newer models like the 920.

for example, you're on a freeway and one mile you have to get on to another freeway and it splits North and South. the screen should simply tell you with an arrow giving you which way you will end up going, or at least in words say South, sort of like a "your next move" so you can better prepare yourself with lane changes especially during traffic hours.

my 910 is retarded, it will show South, then out of no where, TAKE THE NORTH RAMP!

I might get the Magellen 4400 or was it the 4300.. i really liked the read out and the screen, not too expensive either.

Thats a shame that the 910 bugs you like that, man. I've heard that the TomTom ONE XLS text to speech is pretty spot on, have you heard about it? They also say that you can hack the ONE LE Best Buy Edition to have text to speech and different voices via the SD card slot, thats something I want to try.

Would you guys say there is a difference in the map quality of Tele Atlas vs. Navteq? To some people it matters significantly, while others find it negligible.

TomTom - interface ugly as hell :p

Garmin - easy to use and prettier interface than TomToms

Navigon - Beautiful interface, bit slow :D

I previously owned a Garmin C330 which got stolen with our car :( then I switched to a Navigon 7110

Great GPS device, the screen requires you use your nail or the stylus pen to push buttons which can get annoying since they are quite small compared to the buttons of the Garmins..

gal-7100_3ang-LG.jpg

Cool features :p:

- RealityView and speed limit notifier

00052152.jpg?lm=1195196384000

Btw, how precise are the height measures when using GPS?

They are pretty precise but don't trust on them blindly, they will differ a little.

That GPS you showed looks good, especially with the roadplates. I wonder if the new Mio has that.

• 2 weeks later...
I have tomtom software on my XDA orbit WM6 phone, its great software :D

Yeah TomTom has really good software and map data, from what I've seen. Anyone else tried the TomTom ONE LE or the ONE 3rd Edition? I have some comparative questions to ask!

ive got the TOMTOM 920, and TOMTOM one and Go.

Dont get teh 910, its supposed to be bad!

Anyway, tomtoms are great, easy to use and does the job! ive used others like sony stuff, adn they are poor...

I'm looking at the new TomTom520 music edition. Will use it to control my iPod and also sync my phone, thus 1 device to control all 3.

Talking of which, anyone able to get a screenshot of how the TomTom interracts with the iPod?

I don't think the 910 is BAD, but I've heard that the best intersection of power features/utility comes with the GO 720. I'm curious to see these TomTom iPod screens, too.

Get a Garmin.

Garmin's maps are made by Navteq... which are superior to TomTom's Tele Atlas maps, in North America.

Unless you need Bluetooth support, Traffic detour functions, or European maps -- go with the Nuvi 350, 650, or 750.

I would avoid the 2xx Nuvi's, as they don't offer text-to-speech voice commands, which are very helpful.

Buy the 350, if you want the cheapest model (best value)... a step up is the 650 which has a larger screen... a step up from that is the 750 which has a similar screen to the 650, but with a slightly updated interface and enclosure, newest maps preloaded, internal GPS antenna for a sleeker design, ability to calculate the most efficient route from multiple destinations (great for couriers, realtors, running errands).

I personally bought the 750, and really enjoy it!

• 3 months later...

Picked up the Garmin 260W (widescreen) recently. So far so good. II'm testing it out for a couple of days..still deciding if I really need it or not...its such a cool gadget!

What do you guys\girls think? Keep it or return?

(PS. I dont travel as much, I make two 400km trips per month, but thats about it)

i think i'm going to stick with the tomtom.. i looked at the garmin site yesterday, looked at their products page and closed it.. wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too many models.