Building a dedicated home theater - my loft

Boz

Howdy. I'm about to embark on a home renovation project and transform one of my bedrooms and my previous office area into a dedicated home theater + home office as one.

Let me first introduce you to a project. Shots of the converting loft area space:

Wall - current:

theater1.jpg

Wall - intended modifications:

theater1a.jpg

Side shot as you enter the loft area from the stairs:

theater3.jpg

Current loft area - plans for seating + pre-room merge:

theater3a.jpg

Photoshopped loft area - with room merge - the room through the wall is my new office from one of the bedrooms

theater4.jpg

Also, frontal shot showing the spacing:

theater2.jpg

Now.. once I'm done it will have movie posters, dedicated lighting, media rack and custom media storage design along with clean front area with nice modern coffee tables for front row seating.

AV Equipment to be used in this new setup I'm building will be:

- Onkyo TX-SR805 - THX Ultra2/TrueHD/DTS-HD MA

- Klipsch Synergy series (2x F3s floorstanding, 2x B3s rear bookshelf, 2x center/rear center C3s, 12" sub )

- Toshiba HD-A20 1080p HD DVD player

- Playstation 3 60gb

- Xbox 360 w/ 120gb

- HTPC custom built (AMD X2 4800+, 8800GTS, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd)

- Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p projector (review)

- Elite ezFrame 106" fixed screen or Da-Lite Perm-Wall 110" with High-Power fabric (still undecided)

Theater will have 2 seating rows accomodating up to 7 people. 3 people up-front and 4 people 2nd row with risers.

Just in the interest of helping someone else who might be interested in doing similar things I'll update as the construction begins and throughout until I'm done for my dream theater.

timmmay

looks like you got it all planned out well! good luck with it, i'll be keen to see the end result :)

+Dick Montage

Just wow! The word loft means something very differen to you. To me, it;s the space above the top floor beneath the rafters, used for storage!

But wow!

sn00pie

Don't forget a great set of couches! I've got a 4 seat theatre style couch, with cupholders and the whole dealy! :D Just make sure you pre-wire your wiring into the walls, I wish I had done that earlier, the worst thing is the long assed wires going from the main receiver to the rear surround speakers, those wires are fugly!

Good luck Boz, keep us updated can't wait to see the final finish! btw, where do you get the movie posters?

Glorious

Wouldn't an 8600GTS be a better option if it's for a HTPC since it supports more hardware decoding options?

ralph_tran

Do you know what every good home theater needs?

Popcorn machine!!!

teriba
- Onkyo TX-SR805 - THX Ultra2/TrueHD/DTS-HD MA

- Klipsch Synergy series (2x F3s floorstanding, 2x B3s rear bookshelf, 2x center/rear center C3s, 12" sub )

- Toshiba HD-A20 1080p HD DVD player

- Playstation 3 60gb

- Xbox 360 w/ 120gb

- HTPC custom built (AMD X2 4800+, 8800GTS, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd)

- Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p projector (review)

- Elite ezFrame 106" fixed screen or Da-Lite Perm-Wall 110" with High-Power fabric (still undecided)

Theater will have 2 seating rows accomodating up to 7 people. 3 people up-front and 4 people 2nd row with risers.

Just in the interest of helping someone else who might be interested in doing similar things I'll update as the construction begins and throughout until I'm done for my dream theater.

1. If you haven't bought the Klipsch yet, don't. They're not very accurate speakers.

2. Why an HD DVD player if you have an HTPC? Just get an LG GGC-H20L and play HD DVD and Blu-Ray through the HTPC.

3. No need for an 8800 on the HTPC, get an 8600.

4. No need for 4GB of RAM on the HTPC.

Great receiver and projector. Go with the Da-Lite screen.

Boz
1. If you haven't bought the Klipsch yet, don't. They're not very accurate speakers.

2. Why an HD DVD player if you have an HTPC? Just get an LG GGC-H20L and play HD DVD and Blu-Ray through the HTPC.

Thanks. Actaully, I'm just transfering my existing audio system basically from my living that was built before into here.. I'm just upgrading the reciever, projector and screen.. everything else I already have... I have Denon AVR-1903 now with these Klipsch's and everything sound like a blast.. I don't have issue with Klipsch.. but I would maybe go with Polk if I was buying new stuff, but no need really..

8800GTS for HTPC is for PC gaming like Crysis and stuff..that's all.. I got the DiNovo bluetooth set now.. so it's magic for PC gaming..

goji

O RLY? Care to clarify that position? :devil:

betasp

1. 99.99999% of home theater speakers are not accurate, including the ones that cost $10,000+. If you are looking for accurate (i.e. flat response) then studio monitors are the way to go. With the said, most people do not like "accurate" speakers, and have never heard of companies such as Genelec and ADAM audio.

Azusa

wow just wow i hope to have something like that some day

Boz
Don't forget a great set of couches! I've got a 4 seat theatre style couch, with cupholders and the whole dealy! :D Just make sure you pre-wire your wiring into the walls, I wish I had done that earlier, the worst thing is the long assed wires going from the main receiver to the rear surround speakers, those wires are fugly!

Good luck Boz, keep us updated can't wait to see the final finish! btw, where do you get the movie posters?

Thanks Game! I will definitely post the progress.. this is the first time I'm doing heavier modifications like this. :) Oh and I already have some nice sofas picked out, very nice and comfy.. 4 seating second row, 3 seating front with additional ottomans in case more then 7 people comes to watch the movie but it happens rarely.

As for posters, I usually buy them with very very nice frames on AllPosters.com (they are not cheap though) but recently I've noticed that Blockbuster has cheaper but still very nice looking posters for like $30-$40 with frame and all.

DirtyLarry
but recently I've noticed that Blockbuster has cheaper but still very nice looking posters for like $30-$40 with frame and all.

Is this in store or online? I just checked online on their site, and could not find anything if it is there.

And definitely good luck on this endeavor. Interested in seeing the progress and final outcome.

teriba
O RLY? Care to clarify that position? :devil:

Sure. They sacrifice sound quality to make a loud speaker. They are not a "musical" speaker and are pretty much home theater only because they are so boomy.

Brands I like:

- Paradigm

- Axiom

- Definitive Tech

- B&W

- Martin Logan

- etc.

Boz
Is this in store or online? I just checked online on their site, and could not find anything if it is there.

And definitely good luck on this endeavor. Interested in seeing the progress and final outcome.

Yes, I've seen in-store only. They looked pretty damn good and big for $30-$40. Go check it out. You'll like them. They had Sin City one with Jessica Alba on a pole. I mean, talk about value :) They also had Scarface, Godfather, Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Spiderman 3, Superman and quite a few new movies too at my store.

Sure. They sacrifice sound quality to make a loud speaker. They are not a "musical" speaker and are pretty much home theater only because they are so boomy.

Brands I like:

- Paradigm

- Axiom

- Definitive Tech

- B&W

- Martin Logan

- etc.

And I don't disagree with you to some extent, my favorite upper scale speakers would be B&W or Definitive Tech (especially sleek Mythos SuperTower series), but Klipsch is exactly what I wanted, warm and boomtastic sound combined with Denon AVR and it's PERFECT for home theater and gaming. Not to mention the fact that Klipsch combination was a lot cheaper and more bang for the buck while giving me the results I needed.

Edited by Boz
goji

Not exactly sure how you can qualify how they sacrifice SQ for SPL if anything its the other way around. Klipsch speakers can be a very damning of audio sources, highlighting either the greatness of a recording source or horrific deficiencies that may exist. Crud in is definitely crud out.

As far as being "musical", were a bit on a slipper slope since you didn't really define it. If by musical you prefer speakers to mask the tonal shortcomings of the source, your right, Klipsch are unrelenting while being highly efficient. Not sure which product line or model you listened to but I would hardly call them boomy relative to other closely priced alternatives.

To each their own.