• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Cable TV in the US

gunnerhkjp    0

I hope someone can give me an answer regarding Cable TV in the US.

I returned to the US for Christmas stuff, and got my sister a Sony KDL-32S3000 from bestbuy as a Christmas gift.

She just moved into her new apartment in Chicago, and has basic RCN cable hooked up.

When the cable guy came, he hooked up her TV with a cable box. This gave her TV several SD digital channels.

In my persuit for HD programming, I removed the cable box and hooked up the TV direct to the cable line.

I did a channel scan on the TV, and she now has analog and digital channels, some of which are in HD.

All the channels I got with the cable box seems to be there, but with better PQ.

Now, will she continue to get these channels in the future, or will RCN turn them off at some point without the cable box?

Also, are the only things she's missing out without the cablebox EPG and PPV?

bangbang023    31

They won't turn them off, though she won't be able to get any premium HD channels if she wants to without the box.

+StevoFC    21

For the most part, since her tv apparently has an atsc tuner, she will only receive local HD stations. And a few other digital stations.

gunnerhkjp    0

Thanks a lot guys.

Your reply puts my mind at ease.

I just went to the channel setting on the TV and hid all the analog channels so she gets only digital channels.

I had to change the setting for each analog channel, so it took some time :D

I think TVs should have a setting to do this quickly.

Its friggin amazing how many channels you get in the US, even on basic cable.

+StevoFC    21

that's not really a good idea. there are still a lot of channels that aren't broadcasted in digital yet.

gunnerhkjp    0

Argh.

I see.

I figured that to get the best PQ for each channel, it will be easier to turn off analog cable all together.

I'll try to figure out which channels I'm missing from the cable listings.

Brandon Live    232

They're required by law to broadcast several channels (mainly local ones) in an unencrypted format. In this case, the format is QAM. Since her TV apparently has a QAM tuner she can get those. But cable companies rarely transmit channels in QAM format if they don't have to, so several HD channels will likely not be available without an HD cable box. Premium channels, like HBO and such, and on-demand content obvious requires the box in all cases.

Also, while they can't stop trasmitting those QAM feeds, they can screw with them. Comcast has a habit of rearranging their channel orders randomly just to mess with people that are actually using them. They want you to pay for the box and use it.

gunnerhkjp    0

I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

At the moment, it seems she is getting all the channel in digital without the cable box.

I guess this is because it is only basic cable.

I presume that if she signs up for premium channels like HBO, you have to use the box.

What is interesting is that currently there are some "premium looking" channels (I'm not sure) that are in HD but have no sound.

Maybe it's RCNs way of saying "get the damn HD digital box".

I'll warn my sister about the channel switch.

It must really mess with people who are not tech savy and don't know about the fact.

+StevoFC    21
Also, while they can't stop trasmitting those QAM feeds, they can screw with them. Comcast has a habit of rearranging their channel orders randomly just to mess with people that are actually using them. They want you to pay for the box and use it.

They have stopped broadcasting some here in Pittsburgh actually. There is no longer an HD Fox station here unless you use a box. I've been keeping track of it through another forum and complaints have already been filed with the FCC.

bangbang023    31
They have stopped broadcasting some here in Pittsburgh actually. There is no longer an HD Fox station here unless you use a box. I've been keeping track of it through another forum and complaints have already been filed with the FCC.

Unfortunately, I doubt those complaints will get anywhere as a long as they keep the SD version of the channel available.