LAN over 300 Meters

Hello,

Happy new year! :)

I'm gonna connect 2 machines via CAT5 / RJ-45, but actually the cable length is around 300 meters. People told me that the signal we be very weak, others told me you can't get signal over 150 meters.

I wanna know if this true or not before doing this, also is it possible to get an amplifier or something and install it in the middle of the cable length to boost the signal over the 2 machines.

Thank you.

the limit of a ethernet run is 100 meters.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cablng.htm

A. Here are some basic 100BASE-TX horizontal distance requirements (the are called guidelines in the specification):

* Total distance between an Ethernet Transmitter and Receiver at the absolute end points of the network (maximum diameter from origin to final destination, if the wires were stretched out to form a straight line): 100 Meters (328 ft., 109 yds., or about the length of a football field). This limitation results from the timing of the Ethernet signals on the cable and not necessarily the cable characteristics, and is, therefore, a "hard" number.

You would need to go fiber to run longer.. Or you could use switches as repeaters with a run of 300 meters you would need atleast 2 switches. But that would be pushing the limits even.

Your best bet would be to go fiber.

For that kind of run you really need to go with a fiber run.

But is there any consumer-level Fibre equipment available? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy two switches to place in the middle. If power is a problem, then you could also use Power over Ethernet (PoE) on each end.

the limit of a ethernet run is 100 meters.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cablng.htm

A. Here are some basic 100BASE-TX horizontal distance requirements (the are called guidelines in the specification):

* Total distance between an Ethernet Transmitter and Receiver at the absolute end points of the network (maximum diameter from origin to final destination, if the wires were stretched out to form a straight line): 100 Meters (328 ft., 109 yds., or about the length of a football field). This limitation results from the timing of the Ethernet signals on the cable and not necessarily the cable characteristics, and is, therefore, a "hard" number.

You would need to go fiber to run longer.. Or you could use switches as repeaters with a run of 300 meters you would need atleast 2 switches. But that would be pushing the limits even.

Your best bet would be to go fiber.

For that kind of run you really need to go with a fiber run.

You can actually run Cat5/6 ethernet cables for longer than 100 Meters but it is not recommended and no one will give you a warranty or anything on your network (if you happened to be a business). Of course the effects of going 100m I am not sure of but i do believe it isnt just a black and white thing where when you hit 101m it suddenly stops working but a gradual thing. I know of a company who has a 110m stretch of cat5 cable and works fine. I'm no expert but just some my 2 cents.

Can you get 101 meters -- sure its possible.. But you sure an the F are not going to get a 300 meter run ;)

as to soho equipment for fiber runs, sure there are plenty of switches out there that will take a sfp or miniGBIC to allow for a fiber connection. Of the top of my head I know the linksys SRW208G 8 ports with expansion slots.. Under $200 on newegg. Then with say a MGBSX1 module (under $150) you could get up to 550Meters

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...d=7934022279B34

You would need another one of these switches on the other end, etc. So your looking at $700 total + the cost of the fiber ;) Not the same as a $50 switch pocket switch -- but hey its not an unthinkable budget either.

Might be better off looking in to wireless if budget is the issue for a 300 meter run.

BudMan: Thanks for this info. Fiber are not available here also it will cost me too much to order it online.

Quick Reply: I think the 2 switch solution is better, but is it better to get switches or repeaters, or it won't make a difference. I can power them by AC, but it will be better if you tell me how to power them by Ethernet.

Thank you.

2 switches is going to right at the limits of your runs..

100m--switch--100m--switch--100m

It might work - it might not.. There are not a huge market for POE powered switches.. switches that provide POE sure, here is a switch that will accept POE an can be used to extend a run

http://www.imcnetworks.com/Products/PD-Switch.cfm

Not sure if you can chain them, etc. BTW -- they also support SPF modules.. How exactly is fiber not available? Um if your very limited in what network equipment you can purchase local -- I highly doubt your going to find POE powered switch at your local computer store ;)

You would walso need a POE injector to power the switch, etc.

Sounds like more an more wireless would be the way for you to go.. Do you have line of site between the locations?

You are right, I doubt to find a POE powered switch on a local store. I will go with 2 normal switches and I will plan for the power issue.

About the wireless, actually I already have 2 wireless access points in both ends (3Com 3CRWDR101A), but there was no signal. I think it's too long for 802.11g connection, also the signal need to cross the buildings around.

Sure it will be much better and cheaper if I could make WiFi works.

If you are looking to do this right, I'd look at finding a professional installer of wireless equipment. You might be able to align and mount it on your own, it is pretty straight forward, but if you end up having to install it on a mast of some sort or an unfamiliar with how to properly ground something like that, the professionals can be very handy. We use Motorola Canopy PTP products at work for short and long (up to a few miles) wireless links.

http://www.motorolaptp.com/

300m is nothing for wireless.. You just need the right equipment, some amazing things can be done with a couple of wrt54gs running the right firmware an the correct antennas for what your wanting to do ;)

Unless there is some LARGE building directly in your path, A power substation or something, etc.. wireless would be your best bet.

Thank you guys.

I guess I will go wireless cheaper by getting a cantenna or something at the top of both buildings to increase the signal strength.

Sorry guys, I just have little more questions about wireless.

- A and B are 185 meters far in straight line (by Google Earth)

- I used 2 3Com access points 54Mbps/11g

1- I configured both Access Points at location A and the connection was perfect for sure.

2- Installed one of the access points at location B.

But there was no signal at all. Average building height in this area is 30 meters, there is about 7 buildings blocks location A and B.

Any idea about this?! Thank you.

If the APs are inside, that's simply too far and there is probably a bunch of cordless phones in between causing the signal to degrade. wifi in dense areas has severly limited range. Even if the APs are outside it's still probably too far without a amplifier on each side.

What antenna's did you use? How did you configure the access points? As a bridge between each other? What is the output power for these routers? Can you adjust it?

I would suggest you use a router you can put decent firmware on -- dd-wrt or openwrt, an you going to want to be able to change out the antennas.

here is an example of how it can be done.

http://pagode.tuxfamily.org/doku.php?id=wi...s:start-english

This wiki page was created for documenting the installation of a home wireless connections. It will be detailed the how to connect a remote machine to a network and how to interconnect 2 LANs using the connection of a wireless bridge. The distance between the two location is about 1 Km.

APs was configured in one location first to make sure the configuration is right and it is just about the signal, and it worked perfect and I could connect through each access point to the other and PC connected to it.

I used "WDS" in the AP control panel to connect to other AP and PCs connected to it.

post-154036-1199438341_thumb.jpg

Also this is my Router/AP Wireless settings.

post-154036-1199438352_thumb.jpg

I installed both APs outside but I think my problem is the buildings block the signal between the two locations. I'm using the access point default antennas. Can I use a pre-installed satellite dish to increase the signal instead of getting an antenna?

Image from Google Earth demonstrate the view between the two locations. As you can see there is about 5 buildings in the middle, average hight of each is around 30 meters.

post-154036-1199436783_thumb.jpg

Sorry to jump in here but,

Have you talked to the owners of the buildings in the way?

They may let you put a AP on the roof, then its problem solved...

Also do you have line of sight? if so you could have a look at laser based kit I have used these in the past

Clicky

There is already Internet connection in both locations, and I tried to setup VPN and it worked but it's not the enough speed we need. Upgrading the Internet connection to higher speed will cost a lot, and not just one-time but monthly.

So that I think in Wired pr Wireless network, and I knew from the people here that 185 or 200 meters is not that much for a wireless network, just the I need a way to let the signal pass the buildings blocking the signal.