Can I use the PS2 guitar with the PS3 Guitar Hero?

I want to buy Guitar Hero III for my PS2. Will the guitar for the PS2 version work with previous or future versions of Guitar hero? Also, can I use the PS2 guitar with the PS3 version if I wanted to play with my friends?

I think I found the answer.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/bonus/gh3.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&

How is the functionality of the PS3 Les Paul wireless for the older Guitar Hero games (released on PS2)?

Correction: The new PS3 Les Paul wireless controller will NOT work at all with any of the Playstation2 Guitar Hero titles when played on the PS3. We suggest that you keep your PS2 console around to play the older PS2 Guitar Hero games. Using a PS2-to-PS3 USB adapter, GH1 will work on the PS3 using either the SG or the original PS2 wireless guitar.

I'm not sure what it means, but it would seem I need an adapter.

Yeah there are loads of PS2 to USB adapters. Ebay's pretty good for them. If you want to use a dance mat with it, be sure that it can do up+down and left+right simultaneous combinations.

edit: If you're unsure, it'll only work with the Gibson SG:

10.jpg

And I'm unsure which image would correspond to the original but I guess it'd look like that.

i would just buy the ps3 one, it is wireless and would be more fun.

But that would require me to buy a PS3.. which I'm not going to do. I'm aiming for Wii come spring/summer.