HDTV Help with setup with non HD accessories !

Hi Media Experts,

I need some help, our old faithful 32" CRT is on its way out and I think I might go with this as the replacement.....

PANASONIC TH42PZ70B 42" HD Ready 1080p digital Plasma TV. ( I have gone for this because the SDTV scaling is meant to be very good )

Now the problem I have is getting the best from my non-hd accessories which are an XBOX ( not 360 ), Wii, and Virgin Media Cable TV Box.

I plan on using a COMPONENT CABLE for the Xbox and the Wii to get the best picture possible and leave the Virgin Media Cable TV Box on scart or maybe find a component cable for that.

Am I going about it the right way, can I improve anywhere ? I play LOTS of Divx/Xvid content through the XBOX will the TV upscale it enough to be watchable ?

TIA

XBMC will upscale your divx/xvid files as long as you have the HD addon pack which I guess you do since you need that to use component cables... the wii's picture will improve with the component cables but do not expect miracles simply because of the nature of the wii games... not sure about your cable provider.... here in the US the major cable companies supply cable boxes that have HDMI output

think the xbox supports 720p/1080i over component. Why not get a Virgin HD box with HDMI, least then you'll get hdtv (paytv or just the free stuff).

jerzdawg - I have never heard of an 'HD addon pack' this is for the Original Xbox ?

Coldgunner - this is the original Xbox :). I have looked at the Virgin HD box in depth and it is a complete rip off, they advertize it as HD but they only have 1 HD channel that shows complete garbage.

thanks for your replies

Edited by craybox

Sort of, you don't get optical out with the cable and for surround you need optical.

The one linked before is the old one. The new one is the one he linked. Optical port is on the part that plugs into th Xbox. The new cables are much better IMO.

thanks again for the replies its a minefield looking for hdtv and getting the right solution.

KoDeXeRo - so that cable that I linked was the new cable ? the one i should get ?

I see two links: the one with the box and the ebay auction.

The box has the optical but the cable doesn't look like it has optical, just analog audio.

Just another query, this TV says that it can accept movies via the SDcard slot with the following info......

Movie : SD-Video Standard Ver. 1.2 [MPEG-2 (PS format)] and AVCHD Standard compatible files with an audio

format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 format or Dolby Digital format

(A modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.) ? D-sub 15-pin connector signal

16:9

Is that any indication that I could put divx movies and play them ? maybe even HD content ?

thanks once again....

Just another query, this TV says that it can accept movies via the SDcard slot with the following info......

Movie : SD-Video Standard Ver. 1.2 [MPEG-2 (PS format)] and AVCHD Standard compatible files with an audio

format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 format or Dolby Digital format

(A modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.) ? D-sub 15-pin connector signal

16:9

Is that any indication that I could put divx movies and play them ? maybe even HD content ?

thanks once again....

you can get either one.. the ebay auction you linked does not have the optical out which would be needed for 5.1 audio.. so if you dont care about that... you are fine with the one you linked to.

as for the memory card... i doubt it will be able to playback divx... just stick with XBMC.... you can stream the files over your network or burn them to a dvd-r... i can usually fit 4 movies per dvdr depending on the quality of the movie...

yes i have been streaming over network with the Xbox forever :), I was just looking at it for HD content which won't play on the Xbox, not enough power as you know ;)

I can't afford a HDDVD player as well so just thinking of other ways to take advantage of the HD TV and therefore justifying the hole that it will put in my wallet.

take a look at the reg dvd players that can play divx and xvid files... those seem to have dropped in price... here in the us they can be found for $30

I *think* you need to change your console from PAL to NTSC in order to use the HD output through component cables, I know I certainly had to when I was setting up my XBMC. There's a tool to change it by Enigmah that you can find in the usual place.

Dan