• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

AMP with HDMI?

The_Observer    293

im starting to build a new media center with these specs

----------

CASE - Antec Fusion Black 430 M-ATX Media Case V2

Mainboard - Asus M2A-VM

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Memory - Corsair XMS2 2Gig Memory Kit

Video Card - NVIDIA 8600GT with HDMI

Hard Drives - x2 Seagate 160GB SATA ? RAID0

Optical - SATA Blu-ray Disk Reader with DVD Writer

Sound - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio & Digital I/O Module

-----------

but i wish to understand a bit more about HDMI, i wish to know if i can plug this HDMI into a AMP, and from the amp into my 1080p 42" LCD Screen. As i understand this, HDMI is for video and sound, so if i can plug this into a HDMI into a AMP this i would not need a sound card, and i would get the digtal sound and 1080p picture. im tyring to make this simple as. The system would be video playback only, maybe someday i will intall a tv turner card, but for now video only.

SirEvan    122

not all amps have HDMI Switching, some just have HDMI passthru, where it sends ONLY the video on to your tv, not audio. I recently bought an onkyo and found this to be the case...so i had to go buy TOSLINK cables to pass the audio from my HD-DVD player through to the amp

The_Observer    293

interesting, so my best bet is to just get the sound card and run the HDMI to TV and Sound to AMP.

bangbang023    31

Yeah, I would always run the audio and video separately. It's just better, quality wise, in the long run.

SirEvan    122
im starting to build a new media center with these specs

----------

CASE - Antec Fusion Black 430 M-ATX Media Case V2

Mainboard - Asus M2A-VM

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Memory - Corsair XMS2 2Gig Memory Kit

Video Card - NVIDIA 8600GT with HDMI

Hard Drives - x2 Seagate 160GB SATA ? RAID0

Optical - SATA Blu-ray Disk Reader with DVD Writer

Sound - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio & Digital I/O Module

-----------

but i wish to understand a bit more about HDMI, i wish to know if i can plug this HDMI into a AMP, and from the amp into my 1080p 42" LCD Screen. As i understand this, HDMI is for video and sound, so if i can plug this into a HDMI into a AMP this i would not need a sound card, and i would get the digtal sound and 1080p picture. im tyring to make this simple as. The system would be video playback only, maybe someday i will intall a tv turner card, but for now video only.

just noticed that you're only getting a bluray reader....why not get the combo drive that reads both hddvd and bluray, so that way you can play both? you can find them for about 260$

The_Observer    293
just noticed that you're only getting a bluray reader....why not get the combo drive that reads both hddvd and bluray, so that way you can play both? you can find them for about 260$

didnt know that they were around, over here in new zealand i havent seen them. ill have a look around. could you give me some brand names.

Gangsta    1

LG has a pretty good one (though I can't find it on Newegg, and have no idea what it's selling for).

I'm actually doing something similar; I shall probably use some of those parts :) .

The_Observer    293

Well theses are are my lastest parts im looking at getting, i like this mobo cause it comes with VGA/DVI/HDMI, SPDIF out all on the board. i decided to get the 5200+ but the 65w version thinking it help keep the heat down.

---------

• CASE Antec Fusion Black 430 M-ATX Media Case V2
  • Mainboard Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2
  • CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (65w)
  • Memory Corsair XMS2 2Gig Memory Kit
  • Hard Drives x2 Seagate 160GB SATA ? RAID0

---------

as for the blu-ray/HDDVD i think ill look around abit more, but it looks like Blu-Ray won the battle.

mentalindustries    0

Look at getting a 500GB hard drive instead.

check prices so you dont get ripped off

pricespy.co.nz

The_Observer    293

yea pricespy the best. i dont need the 500Gig as i have a server with 1.5TB, with 4 pcs in the house, its easy to have everything in the one location.

azcodemonkey    1
LG has a pretty good one (though I can't find it on Newegg, and have no idea what it's selling for).

I'm actually doing something similar; I shall probably use some of those parts :) .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827136133

LG GGC-H20L $299

I think I'll be snagging one of these as well.