post your LINUX Desktop

And how would I be able to add this to the Window Manager list in Mandrake once compiled?  Also, I want to modify the application menu for VTWM.

there's a howto somewhere there was one on the blackbox site i think :/ I did it once but then i switched to gentoo.

Oh and Pysoulseek works just as well if not better than the windows ver imo, oh yea dtops ummm... ill post one in a bit i got a couple around here....ah

HERE'S ONE (1600x1200 fyi)

i haven't tried to lock screen with fluxbox so am not sure. if i find out if you can i will post here. maybe someone else who has done this or tried can help.

my desktop with fluxbox...just installed it and added it to the gdm's list :D

edit: wickedlester, how can I make my terminal (xterm) window transparent?

post-30-1043654926.ibf

Edited by pagal

my desktop with fluxbox...just installed it and added it to the gdm's list

Umm, I like LemonSpace style, I used to have it when I use Openbox and Blackbox..

Install either eterm or aterm, I like aterm better.. aterm is less bloat with transparent support.

How did you get Mozilla looking like that? Ive tried installing 1.2.1 and 1.3a Xft versions but it messes all the fonts up and they look crap, yours look perfect. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Cheers

How did you get Mozilla looking like that? Ive tried installing 1.2.1 and 1.3a Xft versions but it messes all the fonts up and they look crap, yours look perfect. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Cheers

Guess he copied the Windows fonts over and used those, they look a lot better than built-in Linux fonts.

ahh, you like them eh? :D

did you copy the ttf fonts to /home/username/.fonts ?

try restarting X and it should detect and start using them. Once, the fonts are detected, just open mozilla and go to Edit -> Prefs -> Appearance -> Fonts and pick Western from the first drop-down menu, Sans from Second and for the rest pick Arial/Tahoma/any other ttf font you want.

Refresh the webpage and you should see the new fonts.

The menus and stuff will probably still have the ugly Times style font, but once you restart mozilla it'll be fixed. I did it the "stupid way" and edited the prefs.js file from /home/user/.mozilla, but all you have to do is to re-open the browser and it should work. If it doesn't work just post here.

good luck.

Here are my two. They are from a month or two back tho'.

I agree with the guy a while back. While for most workers, any GNU/Linux distro would do just fine,

I'm having trouble doing things I like. And when I've paid for my ObjectDesktop subscription, and even

Photoshop, then it is a bitch to lose it.

This is from one of the very earliest KDE 3.1 betas, if I remember correctly.

The style in #1 is "Keramik", the new KDE default.

In #2, it is Quinx, which I really like. It is smooth & metallic.

IMO Linux really whips Windows bad when it comes to themes & the like. It is a bit un-consistant though.

KDE_3-1_Snappy.png

KDE_3-1_snappy_nr2.png

Cheers

I compiled it with GTK2 support a while ago 1.2.1, I believe it was. Then it looked just like that. :p

IMO the entire GNOME system is in a bit of a mess right now. Hope they get it right before GNOME 2.2.

I used to like gnome a lot more than kde, but now I love kde and gnome ****es the poop outta me. The little annoyances it has just turns me off.

I feel the same way about KDE! But then again it have a great "completeness", which makes it very usable.

Here's a shot of my GNOME2 desk i just stumbled by. :)

Not to sure about the themes & stuff, but I guess it is all in Gentoo's Portage. ('xcept the wallpaper of course, find it at DevArt)

post-30-1043699725.jpg

Hey CheeseCow, I noticed you are using -O4.. Do you know what? There's no such of -O4+, which it's same as -O3.. Check -> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.1/gc...imize%20Options

Well, I also read that it just put it down to whatever was the lowest number allowed. And since I flicked it in KPortage, i figured it might do something. :p I used to have -O9, but then I suddenly thought it was too much so I lowered it. Was a bit disappointed at first, when I expected a blazing fast (allthough very unstable) system when I compiled with -O9.

Just in case anyone cares, I've had great results with -Os, espcially on my 128MB laptop. It feels snappier. Think it makes the thing a bit smaller. I wish that Xfree would get a lot better... fast. :sleep:

Gawd I'm tired. :p

Everyone be sure to check out The GNOME art page and KDE-Look

for some cool themes. :happy:

You can really tell who is using the big distributions like redhat and mandrake because the fonts are horrible. They use the older freetype autohinter which results in horrible kerning and shape distortion. Many of you also seem to use the bytecode interpreter also, which is probably better. I'm personally looking forward to the freetype 2.1.4 that's in CVS. They appear to have merged David Chester's smooth patch, with options to turn off the various individual hacks too! Not only that, but the stem widths have supposedly been corrected, which leaves the kerning as the only remaining problem with the autohinter. Oh, and they do need to fix the blue zone calculations, too.

By the way, why do so many of you use fluxbox? I personally don't really see what's so great about it, especially since blackbox draws the window controls much clearer, and because it IS the real thing. Sometimes I wonder if any of these bandwagoners have actually heard of some of the things like blackbox that we used back a while. I've also heard people criticizing the new fontconfig/Xft2 libraries, when they should be appreciating them. Geez, in my day we didn't have antialiased fonts! And that was only a few years ago!

Oooh, optimization. Actually using higher degrees of optimization (-O6 and such) will just increase the iterations that the compiler uses looking for ways to optimize the code. -O3 is the cutoff for turning on/off features, if I'm not mistaken. If you really want to increase the runtime speed of the code, try static-linking or pre-linking, at your own risk of course.

You all really have it easy. I suggest trying a real distro like Slackware, installing a bare-bones system and then compiling everything over by hand. Now that's the way to do it, and a whole lot of fun, too!

By the way, why do so many of you use fluxbox? I personally don't really see what's so great about it, especially since blackbox draws the window controls much clearer, and because it IS the real thing. Sometimes I wonder if any of these bandwagoners have actually heard of some of the things like blackbox that we used back a while. I've also heard people criticizing the new fontconfig/Xft2 libraries, when they should be appreciating them. Geez, in my day we didn't have antialiased fonts! And that was only a few years ago!

i resent that. Well not really but anyway, yea i use fluxbox but i used to use blackbox, hell when i first heard about fluxbox it anoyed me, i felt somewhat the way you did, but then i used it. I dont see why fluxbox shouldnt be used, its just as fast with more features, based verrrry much on blackbox. Blackbox is great too but I can't really see how its better than fluxobx even if it does draw the window controls much clearer (i havent noticed any difference).

You can really tell who is using the big distributions like redhat and mandrake because the fonts are horrible. They use the older freetype autohinter which results in horrible kerning and shape distortion. Many of you also seem to use the bytecode interpreter also, which is probably better. I'm personally looking forward to the freetype 2.1.4 that's in CVS. They appear to have merged David Chester's smooth patch, with options to turn off the various individual hacks too! Not only that, but the stem widths have supposedly been corrected, which leaves the kerning as the only remaining problem with the autohinter. Oh, and they do need to fix the blue zone calculations, too.

Oooh, optimization. Actually using higher degrees of optimization (-O6 and such) will just increase the iterations that the compiler uses looking for ways to optimize the code. -O3 is the cutoff for turning on/off features, if I'm not mistaken. If you really want to increase the runtime speed of the code, try static-linking or pre-linking, at your own risk of course.

You all really have it easy. I suggest trying a real distro like Slackware, installing a bare-bones system and then compiling everything over by hand. Now that's the way to do it, and a whole lot of fun, too!

Bah!!

There was a point when RedHat had the greatest of fonts, and everyone at the Gentoo forums was begging the authors to work on it. Now it's nearly there.

Fluxbox have TABS, damn you. Also it can have anti-aliased fonts, and - why not?

Both BB and FB are very fast, and I like the smooth fonts, even more when running

at 1600x1200 like now.

And font support was absolutely crap in the past, but it is improving.

In a year it will hopefully "just work" for everyone.

And FYI, I am using prelinking. I was one of the testers of prelink in Portage.

It doesn't do all that much for all applications, but KDE really benefits from it.

And it's really not all that risky anymore. If not allready implemented, I think

it will be when Gentoo 1.4 is released.

And I've used Slack in the past, that was how I first started. I think Gentoo,

which is the 133735t distro rigth now, is a lot harder. I learned a lot by installing

it. And I even tried to make most of my system with CVS. That was just crap -

a lot of things didn't work, becuse they weren't finished.

Gentoo let you compile from scratch, but does all the dependancy searching for you.

Also, it reduces the compile flags of applications that need it. You can always say

"make your own", but Gentoo gives you the power of LFS with the power of Portage.

But why all the noise in a desktop thread? :whistle: