post your LINUX Desktop

how do you get the KDE bar shrunk like that, and how do u enable transparency? I've tried this 200 billion times with like 20 diff distros and every time i enable transparenty, its not transparent.

Taskbar shrinking: Right click the taskbar>> "Configure Panel">> "Layout"" >> Length=80% (or whatever you want).

KDE Menu transparencies: Control Center>> "Appearance and Themes">> "Style">> "Effects" tab>> Check "Enable GUI Effects">> "Menu effect"="Make translucent".

Taskbar shrinking: Right click the taskbar>> "Configure Panel">> "Layout"" >> Length=80% (or whatever you want).

KDE Menu transparencies: Control Center>> "Appearance and Themes">> "Style">> "Effects" tab>> Check "Enable GUI Effects">> "Menu effect"="Make translucent".

ok tried all of that... the menu bar shrunk, thanks, but the damn thing still wont display any transparency/translucency. I've restarted X, that didt work, i restarted the whole computer, and it still didnt work. Everything's still checked, just nothing's happening.

the menu bar shrunk, thanks, but the damn thing still wont display any transparency/translucency.

Some styles don't support menu transparency. Try switching to a different style then selecting menu transparency. Also note that you have to drag the slider below to a more translucent percentage (like 85%).

Some styles don't support menu transparency. Try switching to a different style then selecting menu transparency. Also note that you have to drag the slider below to a more translucent percentage (like 85%).

its the default style...

also, nothing becomes transparent. Not even Xterm, which isnt transparent no matter what i window manager i pick, nor what operating system. Just nothing is transparent

also, nothing becomes transparent.

In KDE, Konsole can be set transparent by selecting the following from Konsole's menu bar: "Settings">>"Schema">>"Transparent Console".

If that doesn't make your console transparent, then I would guess that it's a video card/driver problem. I don't have your ATI card (I have nVidia GF2) so I can't verify this.

• 4 weeks later...

here is mdk 9.1 rc2 with transilvania icewm style and transilvania modded kicker, wall is An_obscure_passage from deviantART.

mdk9_1_th.jpg

Man, I want to put one of these *nix OSes on soon, but damn it all if I'm not on dialup. Downloads are a pain in the neck. Especially for the three humongous Mandrake ISOs (which has always made me blink when people call XP the bloated one). In fact, I've never really understood why the Linux/BSD downloads offer more than one ISO in the first place. It doesn't need to come with all that software (especially since half of it will be updated to newer versions by the time anyone installs any of it).

Regardless, I'd enjoy sculpting a fancy new desktop. Mind you, I wouldn't use any of these horribly dead grayish wallpapers everybody seems in love with. Gray, white, gray, white, gray, white. Oh look, two pixels of yellow! Psychedelic dude! ??

Oh, and I'm going to bugger any person who calls ANYTHING about the silvery whitish look of so many desktops 'futuristic'. The proper term imodernb>. Ok?? You're not in the future! You're in the present! If it's new and fresh today, then it's MODERN. (personal gripe, doncha know, inspired by something I saw at one of the links I followed from this thread)

here's mine

It is a nice destop but you seriously need to fix Truetype rendering. Look at your AIM list .... its all blurry def'n a TT problem ;)

I have a fairly nice E16 desktop right now but I'm trying to get E17 working. I'll post my desktop pic up soon once I make a few changes.

skin gaim? i didn't... thats just a blur i made from the gimp over my contact list.... it is the cvs version of gaim 0.60 so maybe thats why it looks different from yours if you have the stable version (0.59.9????)

DrunkenMaster... thats the way I like it... if I squint real hard then I can make out some of their names... its also fun to guess who you are IMing with

Downloads are a pain in the neck. Especially for the three humongous Mandrake ISOs (which has always made me blink when people call XP the bloated one).

You only need to download the first CD. The other CDs are really just optional CDs.

Well this is my old old old desktop. It looks much nicer now, but still, this layout was clean for me to code in.

It's Gnome with Brushed style and MacOS style bar at top, running on RedHat 7.3

post-30-1047664013.jpg

wickedlester--Maybe you should just purchase Mac OS X. ;)

ya maybe people here will donate to help me purchase a mac???? :D

Heres mine, used gimp to resize it to 1024*768, looks a bit blurry because of the jpg compression. The only special thing I have is anti-aliasing. :blush:

post-30-1047853924.jpg