PS3 - Black Screen - Dead? (RISEN FROM THE DEAD!)

I think my new 40GB is toast :/

The whole situation has me going round in circles.

Basically I decided to move my PS3 upstairs to connect it to my SDTV until my new HDTV arrives.

I left it setup for HDTV and when I connected it to my SDTV through standard cables and I was treated to a nice black screen. Some research on the internet told me this is common and what you have to do is reset your PS3 to the standard display output.

Now I've done that about 20x times. Holding the reset button till it beeps, and it does nothing. Well my HDTV which I now have it connected back to says its connected at 576p but the screen is still black.

Strange thing is, if I hold down the PS button on the sixaxis the menu comes up that says "shutdown" or "turn off controler", but if I cancel that menu its back to a black screen.

It's as if the OS has become corrupt or something :(

If my PS3 has somehow died on transit, or from being connected to an SDTV im pretty damn unlucky... as my issue can easily be confused with a simple "black screen" problem that is remedied with reseting the PS3. However I have reset the thing tons of times like ive said and it's still not working....

Any ideas or can anyone confirm it could be a dead OS or something? It feels like it's "bricked" or something...

Edited by Audioboxer

which cables are you connecting it to your tv's with? the standard ones? hdmi?

I've tried both sets.

StevoFC, the screen is completely black on start up. What happens is if I hold down the PS button an menu comes up, the one to shutdown or turn off the controller (one that shows you the controllers charge).

The other interesting thing I can say is the option to shutdown from the controller menu doesn't work, it makes the console beep twice, but the console stays on.

The option to shut off the controller does work.

Do you know anyone with a HDTV in which you can test it on?

Uhh I have an HDTV, I said that above?

I went from an HDTV to an SDTV.

This happened to me when I tried going from an HDMI connection to a component connection. The screen was totally black on the component connection, and when I tried moving back to HDMI it was doing the same thing.

I fixed it by leaving the PS3 connected to the display, turning the PS3 on and then holding the power button for 5 seconds (after it beeps the second time, release the button). Then it magically came back. Dunno if you've tried that already.

press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Problem fixed. This resets the video settings, alot of people change settings when moving from TV to TV

Seriously, I thought in order for someone to type they would need the ability to read...

He said he tried that like 20 times.

This happened to me when I tried going from an HDMI connection to a component connection. The screen was totally black on the component connection, and when I tried moving back to HDMI it was doing the same thing.

I fixed it by leaving the PS3 connected to the display, turning the PS3 on and then holding the power button for 5 seconds (after it beeps the second time, release the button). Then it magically came back. Dunno if you've tried that already.

Yeah this is what ive done about 30x now.

The thing is the "pause menu" wouldn't appear if it was a display issue: nothing would.

The fact the pause menu comes up says to me the video connection is fine, but the OS is somehow bricked.

Also a lot of people report they can hear the controller "clicks" on the menu even although the screen is black, I can't.

I think perhaps your PS3 system data is shot?

Something like that, but I have no idea how...

I haven't done ANYTHING to the PS3 - Only got it yesterday. Only thing ive installled is super star dust hd.

No idea whats going on there.

I would just bring it back to the shop straight away and get a replacement. I wouldn't trust any electical item that was dodgy on the first day.

At least you got a good deal with your PS3 60GB ebay auction in the end... Hope my starting bid helped :D

No idea whats going on there.

I would just bring it back to the shop straight away and get a replacement. I wouldn't trust any electical item that was dodgy on the first day.

At least you got a good deal with your PS3 60GB ebay auction in the end... Hope my starting bid helped :D

So that was you? ;)

A lady in Ireland won it as well!

Yeah im taking it back to JL tomorrow. Not going through Sony, will take too long. I just want a replacement in store. Bet you there out of stock :/

Only thing im not happy about is all my details/PSN account are saved on that hard drive.

So, the system booted up before? When you used it (while it was working) last, how did you turn off the system? Did you flip the switch in the back?

Try holding button for longer, I heard that reboots it or something, I dunno. It wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: So it lights up, but not video/audio. Very weird indeed.

If you were using HDMI, I was thinking handshake, but that's another story.

So that was you? ;)

Yeah im taking it back to JL tomorrow. Not going through Sony, will take too long. I just want a replacement in store. Bet you there out of stock :/

Sorry to hear about your problemed PS3. Hope a replacement comes soon. I would give you one of mine but i need them for work :)

So that was you? ;)

Only thing im not happy about is all my details/PSN account are saved on that hard drive.

Can't help with your PS3 problem but you can put computer or another PS3 to format the hard drive!

So, the system booted up before? When you used it (while it was working) last, how did you turn off the system? Did you flip the switch in the back?

Try holding button for longer, I heard that reboots it or something, I dunno. It wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: So it lights up, but not video/audio. Very weird indeed.

If you were using HDMI, I was thinking handshake, but that's another story.

Yeah it was working fine, I turned it off via the controller, unplugged it all and took it upstairs.

Next thing I connected to my SDTV via scart and I had no picture. Didn't know what was up so I powered down/turned on a few times. Went on the net, realised it must be the typical black screen issue so I tried resetting about 20 times.

Out of chance I then discovered the "pause menu" as I like to call it, or for everyone the menu that comes up when you push the PS button, was working. Seeing as this works, the actual operating system itself must somehow be half bricked, or bricked to the extent that a normal user (me) can't fix it.

Tried everything again on my HDTV, and then I tried another SDTV in the house.

It's gotta be goosed, im no idiot and I've tried every way described of resetting the console & every cable.

The thing that annoys me is my 60GB is sitting wrapped up in a box downstairs ready to be shipped off! :( :laugh:

I hope JL can do a straight swap tomorrow.

One other question, is there any way to do a "hard reset"?

You know how that screen that comes up when you first turn on, it asks you to connect your sixaxis via the USB cable... is there anyway to try and reset the system to that point?

Or is that the screen that should be coming up with the 5 second power reset?

I would try to connect it to the original tv have it connected like you did before you brought it upstairs and if the that tv has component which i assume you are trying to use on a SDTV you should be able to connect the component to the original tv along with the original connection and switch the video output. I would assume that would work but i have no idea.

Been brain storming all night, I HATE having a piece of broken technology near me and not being able to fix it :laugh:

A little more "progress" if you want to call it that. Clearly the video settings are not the problem,

I yanked the hard drive out and turned it on, and low and behold

DSC00066.jpg

when the hard drive is put back in,

DSC00067.jpg

I see those waves moving up and down forever.... doesn't bring up XMB.

Stupid POS hard drive failing on me :p

Least it's not a "PS3" hardware fault :laugh:

ps. Excuse the rather bland light bulb and messy room, in the process of redecorating ;)