Feedback Appreciated

Question

smctainsh

Hi All,

Some of you may remember my previous thread on a project I was working on, called Transit. I would appreciate any further feedback on it, as I plan to release it shortly.

I would also like to know how much you guys would be willing to pay for it (if anything).

It is located here.

The user name and password are demo.

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

Edited by smctainsh

ncc50446

Just a note: Password and username seem to be: demo

That aside, I seem to get errors when viewing the folders.

Warning: readlink() [function.readlink]: No such file or directory in /home/smct/public_html/devtransit/resources/folder.php on line 17

I also uploaded an image, startrek150.gif (Just formated, few pictures on my hd lol), and I can't view the image...its broken when I double click on it, but when I view gallery, I can see it

As for price, I have no clue, sorry lol though seems to be pretty cool, some not bad programs that you make. Is there a way for the public to view the images without uploading their own?

smctainsh
Just a note: Password and username seem to be: demo

That aside, I seem to get errors when viewing the folders.

Warning: readlink() [function.readlink]: No such file or directory in /home/smct/public_html/devtransit/resources/folder.php on line 17

I also uploaded an image, startrek150.gif (Just formated, few pictures on my hd lol), and I can't view the image...its broken when I double click on it, but when I view gallery, I can see it

As for price, I have no clue, sorry lol though seems to be pretty cool, some not bad programs that you make. Is there a way for the public to view the images without uploading their own?

Thanks so much for pointing that out; I completely forgot to specify the demo user name and password. :) I've updated the original post with these details.

That error was part of some debugging I was doing; it's fixed now. :D

The image comes up fine for me in both the image preview window and the gallery. Let me know if you continue to experience this issue.

Everyone who logs into this installation of Transit will be able to view all of the files that are in the uploads directory. :)

Thanks very much for your feedback. :D

Smctainsh

ncc50446

Hey

Just letting you know that I also see the images now, guess it got fixed with the debugging and the folders work now too. :)

smctainsh
Hey

Just letting you know that I also see the images now, guess it got fixed with the debugging and the folders work now too. :)

Awesome, thanks! :D

Smctainsh

smctainsh

Any further feedback?

Smctainsh

+Dick Montage

Just played. Nice tool.

One issue I found: Delete a file, it remains showing until you refresh the view.

wrack

I assume this is a PHP and MySQL based online file management tool.

If you are not storing this into the database then what are you using? How reusable and standardized is the code?

Nice use of AJAX but some things seem very slow, may be just a server.

smctainsh
Just played. Nice tool.

One issue I found: Delete a file, it remains showing until you refresh the view.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll modify it shortly so that it updates the folder view once you delete a file. :)

I assume this is a PHP and MySQL based online file management tool.

If you are not storing this into the database then what are you using? How reusable and standardized is the code?

Nice use of AJAX but some things seem very slow, may be just a server.

Thanks for the feedback. :) The only MySQL use is for user management; the files are uploaded to the server and they are listed exactly as they appear on the server, without reading or writing to a database. Hence, you can upload files using FTP as well. The general intent is that the tool will be purchased for a one-off price and then you can use it on any one server you choose. It uses standard PHP functions, and the only major additional functionality you may need is GD for the image thumbnails.

I'll look into the speed of the AJAX.

Thanks,

Smctainsh

smctainsh

I've updated it so that the view is refreshed when you delete a file. Any further suggestions or any feedback on how much you'd be willing to pay for something like this?

Thanks,

Smctainsh

brandnewfantx

Very Nice

smctainsh
Very Nice

Thanks. :)

Smctainsh

wrack

Mind asking me what AJAX library are you using? Or you have done javascripts yourself?

smctainsh
Mind asking me what AJAX library are you using? Or you have done javascripts yourself?

All of it is coded and designed by myself. :) I believe the source of the slow AJAX is the server; I think it is a bit slow at the moment.

Smctainsh

wrack

Good effort dude :)

Don't know about others but I reckon with more tweaking and stuff like that you can go for $49.95 licence.

smctainsh
Good effort dude :)

Don't know about others but I reckon with more tweaking and stuff like that you can go for $49.95 licence.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback. :) I'll keep working on the tweaking. :D

Smctainsh

jukeboxhero52

Works good for me - one suggestion with functionality - I would allow someone to delete an entire folder (even if it has items WITHIN that folder) - maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Before being able to market/sell the product though, I would recommend hiring a professional to redesign graphics/user interface. The current icons/design isn't bad, but can definitely be improved.

deactivated01032015

when adding a file to a certain folder you should then view that one, not the main folder.

And this is definitely a good idea that you are working on.

smctainsh
Works good for me - one suggestion with functionality - I would allow someone to delete an entire folder (even if it has items WITHIN that folder) - maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Before being able to market/sell the product though, I would recommend hiring a professional to redesign graphics/user interface. The current icons/design isn't bad, but can definitely be improved.

That sounds like a good idea. :) I've currently only implemented the ability to delete empty folders, because the PHP function to delete folders requires that the folder be empty, but I can definitely look into this.

Also, I'll look into hiring someone to design the graphics for me. I've never really been extremely good at graphics; my strengths are more-so on the coding side.

when adding a file to a certain folder you should then view that one, not the main folder.

And this is definitely a good idea that you are working on.

Good idea. :) Thanks for the feedback and comments. :)

Any comments on how much you guys might be willing to pay for this (as in a one-time fee)?

Smctainsh

smctainsh

Any more feedback regarding price and features?

Smctainsh

deactivated01032015

depending on how much space will be available.

FlibbyFlobby

I like what I see so far. It still could be a little bit nicer though. For example:

- Files and folders should be drag and droppable, it would really ease usage.

- There should be some way to sort the files (Name, Date Modified etc...) like in most file managers.

- Hovering over an item (for a second or too) should perhaps open a pop up of actions to apply to that particular file (delete, rename etc), this would nicely replace the right click functionality people are used to in a file manager.

- Have a dedicated preview pane (like most email clients) that shows the selected file (e.g. Image/Text etc).

- The majority of the browser window should be dedicated to the file manager, navigation/actions should probably be a bar fixed to the top of the page. I don't think the 3 column layout is ideal personally.

Overall I like the idea a lot, it certainly has potential! I really think you should look at using the jQuery framework (I've been recommending it a lot lately :p). There's a few reasons why. Firstly it can do drag and droppables with ease (look at Sortables). Secondly it'll tidy up and reduce your Javascript code, and make it more browser cross-compatible (perhaps in turn more responsive?). You can also use the nice jQuery Live plugin to bind events to elements added via Ajax after the DOM is loaded. If that's not enough jQuery is incredibly easy to program with.

Any questions about my feedback, just PM me. :)

Edited by ziadoz
smctainsh
depending on how much space will be available.

It is designed to be downloaded and run on your own server, therefore it depends on the space available on your own server. :)

I like what I see so far. It still could be a little bit nicer though. For example:

- Files and folders should be drag and droppable, it would really ease usage.

- There should be some way to sort the files (Name, Date Modified etc...) like in most file managers.

- Hovering over an item (for a second or too) should perhaps open a pop up of actions to apply to that particular file (delete, rename etc), this would nicely replace the right click functionality people are used to in a file manager.

- Have a dedicated preview pane (like most email clients) that shows the selected file (e.g. Image/Text etc).

- The majority of the browser window should be dedicated to the file manager, navigation/actions should probably be a bar fixed to the top of the page. I don't think the 3 column layout is ideal personally.

Overall I like the idea a lot, it certainly has potential! I really think you should look at using the jQuery framework (I've been recommending it a lot lately :p). There's a few reasons why. Firstly it can do drag and droppables with ease (look at Sortables). Secondly it'll tidy up and reduce your Javascript code, and make it more browser cross-compatible (perhaps in turn more responsive?). You can also use the nice jQuery Live plugin to bind events to elements added via Ajax after the DOM is loaded. If that's not enough jQuery is incredibly easy to program with.

Any questions about my feedback, just PM me. :)

Thanks for the feedback. :) I'll look into what you suggested; they all sound like great ideas! :)

Thanks,

Smctainsh

PricklyPoo

Hmm looking really good!

I don't know that you will be able to ask too much since other programs like this are out there. Although yours looks very nice and works well, I'd sure use it.

Keep up the good work!

I'll think of new ideas and post them later.

smctainsh
Hmm looking really good!

I don't know that you will be able to ask too much since other programs like this are out there. Although yours looks very nice and works well, I'd sure use it.

Keep up the good work!

I'll think of new ideas and post them later.

Thanks for the feedback. :) Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Smctainsh

PricklyPoo

Hmmm, when opening the folders would it be possible to maybe make it single click instead of doulbe to open them? I guess it is ok how it is, but for some reason it seems like everything on the web is always single click to open.

Just an idea.