Black Screen after Neowin UXTheme Multi-Patcher

Hi,

I have come across an error after completing the installation for it and restarting my desktop computer. I had followed the rules and instructions that it had given through the installer dialog and prompts/message box. As well as canceling the Windows prompt for a setup CD to replace the 'Unrecognized File' for my system.

Moving along, I had restarted my computer, as it had been required to finalize the setup, and patiently waiting for a brand new look to my desktop interface. Going through the normal "Click" of my hard-drive to notify that it's beginning it's (re)start process, I was awaiting the normal. It had gone through my boot-screens and system checks and the "Windows XP" logo and loading, and successfully loaded into Windows.

This is where the problem lies. Currently, my desktop computer requires a password to enter my actual desktop as any other person would have it (note, my password/login screen is that of similar to Windows 2000 where it has a small box for your Username and Password unlike the Windows XP login).

But, instead of having an actual login "prompt" I am given a subtle "Black Screen" and my mouse pointer. That's all. A monotone canvas and an arrow.

Being alarmed, I had thought I encountered a simple boot up error and proceeded with cold-booting my desktop computer (holding the power button for 5+ seconds). But, it had given me the same exact thing, nothing. Just a black screen and the default Windows classic pointer.

I am unsure what to do as of now. Because this is the place of development for the software/freeware I was tuned to inquire here.

If there is any possible mend to my situation, your help would be a blessing.

Also, if I am totally "effed", please notify me to cease any effort hereforth.

Thank you.

I can supply with as much information about my computer as possible, in the following:

• Windows XP SP2 (2600)
  • 0.99MB RAM
  • 1.8Ghz AMD Processor
  • 90GB HDD
  • ATI Radeon 9500
  • HDD dedicated to Windows and files (no partitioned or dual-booted OS)
  • >50% HDD Space available
  • No physical damage to any parts
  • No software corruption
  • Virus Free (or I am unaware of any)
  • All drive destinations as default (C:/;D:/)
  • Graphics drivers up-to-date
  • Absolutely no system or registry modifications done
  • Symantic Norton Anti-Virus 2007 Corporate w/ Firewall

Also note that I cannot perform a "system recovery" or it's liking from the lack of ability on my OS.

Edited by steamgear

remove norton and try again.i bet it will work.also are your drivers up to date?

Well, that's where the problem lies, really.

There's no way into my Windows.

There's absolutely no 'shell' and no CMD prompt, everything works fine, it's just, my OS is "headless".

Know what I mean?

try to log on with a different username if you have one on your pc, the theme is applied only to your account (atleast i think so), so maybe you have a chance to uninstall it under another account.

Good luck :)

@Cormier6083

I've tried that on all 3 settings, still no luck.

@WAR-DOG

That would be logical repair, but, I don't even have a login screen. :[

Hmm. Your only option might be restore. Don't do it right away. Wait till tomorrow for the more technical people to assist you. Just wait for now.

Sorry man, computers can be such betches sometimes.

Hmm. Your only option might be restore. Don't do it right away. Wait till tomorrow for the more technical people to assist you. Just wait for now.

Sorry man, computers can be such betches sometimes.

Alright, I'll definitely wait for tomorrow (later today), if that's when the elite come out.

Thanks for your help though, it's too bad that there isn't a "Fix" button anywhere.

Looks like you've improperly patched uxtheme.dll. Just replace it and hopefully it should work fine :) Download uxtheme.dll. The same thing happened to me with WindowsBlinds5, somehow I managed to revert to "Windows Classic Style" and uninstalled WB5.

Looks like you've improperly patched uxtheme.dll. Just replace it and hopefully it should work fine :) Download uxtheme.dll. The same thing happened to me with WindowsBlinds5, somehow I managed to revert to "Windows Classic Style" and uninstalled WB5.

Hmmm, alright, sounds good!

But, now I need a way to implement the file, rather, get into my system.

I'm thinking about booting into Linux Ubuntu to be able to get into my Windows part of my HDD, then I can work from there.

But I have a small question... where would I put it?