Paramount in HD DVD blow

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers? recent backing of Sony?s Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Financial Times

dear god.. some much drama over this HD-DVD stuff... let it go, they lost.. stop clinging to scraps and letting yourself die a very slow and painful death.

I was a supporter of HD-DVD, but it's pointless, and i'm pro blu-ray now.. if you can't beat'em... JOIN'EM!

BoomHeadShot.gif

How with this work out with things like microsoft and their Xbox? Will they keep using the format and somehow start a new one? Or what will go on?

I doubt that this will all matter later on. Distribution over the internet is what we are going to. All of the news surrounding Microsoft's IPTV partnerships and acheivements is very good. And then of course, using Xbox LIVE as a means of moving TV shows and movies to the masses, etc...

STV

the article is speculating.. they just say they probably have the exit clause.. God, people are starting to act completely insane. Does anyone actually read these?

What are your insiders saying? We'll prepare for the opposite.

How with this work out with things like microsoft and their Xbox? Will they keep using the format and somehow start a new one? Or what will go on?

They just offered an attachment for the xbox, thats all, it dosnt rely on it for anything other than playing movies.

What are your insiders saying? We'll prepare for the opposite.

There's no insiders, I'm just pointing out a completely speculative article that is carefully planned to try to inflict more damage with absolutely no factual information.

Not saying it won't happen, but it's just extremely annoying how BDA supporting media is carefully planned to spread panic among peope who support $99 players.

Paramount has said they are commited to HD DVD. That's factual and info we all know. They might have an exit clause and speculating they will use it is FUD.

There's no insiders, I'm just pointing out a completely speculative article that is carefully planned to try to inflict more damage with absolutely no factual information.

Not saying it won't happen, but it's just extremely annoying how BDA supporting media is carefully planned to spread panic among peope who support $99 players.

Paramount has said they are commited to HD DVD. That's factual and info we all know. They might have an exit clause and speculating they will use it is FUD.

Exactly! Just like Warner no doubt has exit clauses. I'm sick of all these rumors - if Paramount decides to drop HD-DVD, so be it, but please, no more unsubstantiated rumors! Reading the article, one can clearly see carefully worded paragraphs, so to make it seem like Paramount will announce BD support in 5 minutes. However, as Boz stated, they have no factual information in that article whatsoever.

If this happens, then the final nail in the coffin would be MS releasing a Blu-Ray extension for the 360.

Yup MS said if Blu-ray won they would release a Blu-ray add-on for 360. thats what I'm waiting for. Not to use on my 360 but on my iMac! (24" 1920x1200 will look nice... my 50" TV is only 720p so I can't wait to see full resolution)

If this happens, then the final nail in the coffin would be MS releasing a Blu-Ray extension for the 360.

Apprently MS wanted both formats to fail so they could pursue the idea of media stored online and streamed HD not sure if anyone heard about that a few weeks ago, BUT if MS had a Blu-Ray Ext drive for 360 that wud be too funny. I highly doubt it tho.

Although the article doesn't have any source the FC is a reputable site. If the article is true then HD-DVD doesn't stand a chance. It was interesting to read Sony saying they are still open to working with the HD-DVD group, though obviously it will be more on their terms. Having them work together would be a good thing as it would speed up adoption.

I hope it is true because then we can finally move on.

Both the Blu-ray and the HD-DVD camp are guilty of spreading panic. It's how wars and won and lost. And my friends, the future of home entertainment is certainly a war, and a big one at that. Both sides play the game the same and for anyone to claim that one side is cleaner than the other in this regard is simply naive statements made with no factual backing. I've seen and heard both sides cry foul-play when studios pick sides, and I've seen and heard both sides taunt the other when they lose studio backing. At the end of the day, the majority of consumers is what makes the companies decisions. Obviously the holiday sales helped WB decide who they think is more profitable to be in business with. They're a company, and it will always come down to the dollar.

I wish people would just stop fighting. The sooner this war ends the better for all of us. Both formats have quality far superior to anything else we've experienced, and whoever loses, we still win. (Unlike AVP). At the end of the day, the battle will give us more choice on a single format that everyone can enjoy, and we don't have to pick sides. Lets all be happy about it.

This story is merely inside info. Whether anything will come of it or not is unknown, but any company would be foolish to not have a back-out clause in the case of them losing support/money. I'd imagine every major studio has this in their contract, including Universal. It just makes good business sense. Just take comfort in the fact that we may have a resolution to this sooner rather than later. This year would be nice. :)

Apprently MS wanted both formats to fail so they could pursue the idea of media stored online and streamed HD not sure if anyone heard about that a few weeks ago, BUT if MS had a Blu-Ray Ext drive for 360 that wud be too funny. I highly doubt it tho.

The only plausible way for Microsoft to support Blu-Ray at this point is to include a Blu-Ray drive in the next generation Xbox -- a scenario I think we can all agree will occur. This is assuming, of course, that HD-DVD does die off.

Please let this happen and let this dumb war end. HD-DVD should not exist, nor should it ever have.

The only benefits from it's existence is that one day it will result in cheaper Blu-Ray movies and hardware.

I doubt that this will all matter later on. Distribution over the internet is what we are going to. All of the news surrounding Microsoft's IPTV partnerships and acheivements is very good. And then of course, using Xbox LIVE as a means of moving TV shows and movies to the masses, etc...

STV

Yea,h maybe 10 years in the future when they've finally gotten it right. As of now, movies & TV over IP is extremely clumsy. I'll take my DirecTV dish and DVD player over that garbage any day. Don't fool yourself, HD discs are the immediate future of media distribution.

Exactly! Just like Warner no doubt has exit clauses. I'm sick of all these rumors - if Paramount decides to drop HD-DVD, so be it, but please, no more unsubstantiated rumors! Reading the article, one can clearly see carefully worded paragraphs, so to make it seem like Paramount will announce BD support in 5 minutes. However, as Boz stated, they have no factual information in that article whatsoever.

Nate, I work with these PR agencies in some cases.. I can read their work a mile away.. what you are seeing is BDA way of communicating with Paramount and trying to pressure them to go Blu again by increasing public pressure. This is competely often used tactic. They know it's not over, but are now doing everything possible to shake Paramount and Universal.

And you can bet your behind that Warner has exit clause. They might be even leaving a bit of space until June to see what happens and to see they made a mistake, if HD DVD will bounce back. I'm telling you there's a ton of things that could happen or it can be over by the end of this week, either way we'll see.

Like all of your posts. You say 'insider says this, insider says that,' yet things don't go the way you planned. Now you're saying you don't have insiders [which is quite apparent now] and that this is all speculation. You flipped your arguing style rather fast.

Show me a $99 player right now. I'll wait for it. It was a fire sale and you know it. Stop acting like $99 is the entry price for HD-DVD.

You've been posting 'speculation' since Paramount left their neutral position. Every week you've been posting about how us 'blu boys' would be crying because of things that were 'going to happen.' Now you tell others to stop speculating? Be a little consistent.