1080i vs 720p

Julius Caro

I am totally able to see the difference between 576i and 576p, in those digital tv broadcasts. What matters in the i/p is the motion, because the odd lines are sampled at different times than the even ones, so with fast motion it is a lot more noticeable. Of course the higher the resolution, the less you are going to notice, because a line covers a much smaller 'area' than before, the specif area covered by that line is less likely to change super-fastly.

I still believe that under proper conditions 1080p vs 1080i is noticeable. But since tft sets are natively "p" and BD/HD-DVD are 1080p, p sounds better :p

Brand_X

actually the only diffrent between 1080i and 1080p is an extra deinterlace step. Both are 1,920 x 1,080 on a 1080 screen. the only difference is on a 720 screen when the 1080 is wasted. you cant see sharper than 720 so why try and up it to 1080.

Boz was 100% right he just made his post a little more on the the technical side. i or p just tells you what order the lines on the screen are refreshed. Progressively one after the other or interlaced every other. If your playing video games 720 has the better refresh rates anyways so the picture can be drawn on the screen smoother. Movies are 24 fps so 1080 or 720 dosent matter.

Interlacezoom.gif

Go to the store have them show you a demo of the TV you want and pick what you want and like. It is good to know how stuff works but you can find the TV with a most impressive spec sheet called the "Yaka-****-o? HDTV?" and it be a complete POS.

abcdefg
1080p = 1080i it only requires content to be deinterlaced.

Nope. You can't just combine subsequent odd and even fields to one progressive because picture is constantly moving so odd and even lines contain slightly different picture.

+StevoFC
Nope. You can't just combine subsequent odd and even fields to one progressive because picture is constantly moving so odd and even lines contain slightly different picture.

Do you realize how fast it's showing that image on the screen? Yes, 1080i and p aren't exactly the same. But to the human eye, with the right hardware, it's barely noticable if even at all.

Leo Natan

Yes, and hence the artifacts. :rolleyes: But people will not get that in their heads. They go to a store, see some static Discovery nature scene where 1080i benefits from the higher resolution and think 1080i > 720p, or even go as far as 1080i = 1080p :rofl:

Do you realize how fast it's showing that image on the screen? Yes, 1080i and p aren't exactly the same. But to the human eye, with the right hardware, it's barely noticable if even at all.

BS, sorry mate. Maybe your eye doesn't see the difference, but most of us do see it.

+StevoFC
BS, sorry mate. Maybe your eye doesn't see the difference, but most of us do see it.

When did I say I didn't see a difference? Most people here don't have high end equipment so of course they will notice a difference. Im my post I was refering to high end products. That's why I said "with the right hardware." Everyone here jumps to conclusions way too fast without actually reading.

HawkMan

Well when it comes to BD/HD-DVD and games that are rendered, they aren't really interlaed that way.

they are rendered in 30 full frames. but diided into 60 "half" frames. so there is no differenebetween the lines, it's all down to the transport.

when it comes o TV transmissions and such, yeah there is a difference.

jamend

I think interlacing sucks. It's not some magical way of getting the same video with only half the data.

Leo Natan
When did I say I didn't see a difference? Most people here don't have high end equipment so of course they will notice a difference. Im my post I was refering to high end products. That's why I said "with the right hardware." Everyone here jumps to conclusions way too fast without actually reading.

Dude, I read your post. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is, it can't restore completely something that is not there.

Boz
Dude, I read your post. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is, it can't restore completely something that is not there.

Please stop posting nonsense.

Here read up, someone much smarter then you are concerning this matter explained why it looks the same. Instead of arguing here just go read up and educate yourself.

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymor...7061080iv1080p/

Leo Natan

:( Oh dear...

OK, because some blog says so, I forget all my experience and believe blindly. K.

Roger H.

what the blog is saying is that there is no visual difference in the information. The way YOUR TV displays it might be different because it's scaler sux or something but thats not the discs fault. The information is recorded and sent the same, it all matters how the TV interprets and displays it.

So if 720p looks better on your TV then use that but with a good TV, sending a 1080i picture that is downscaled to 720P would look just as good. If you have a TV capable of 1080i tho (even tho it's really gonna be p by the time you see it) then use that

Tiger.Girl
:( Oh dear...

OK, because some blog says so, I forget all my experience and believe blindly. K.

So people are supposed to forgot about what Home Theater magazine says because some guy on neowin claims to have magic eyes?

shockz
Well we have the Pioneer 50" (Don't know the model), and i don't think it can support p :( (even tho it's only about 5 months old)

Chances are your pioneer 720p looks a lot better than some 1080p's.... not to mention that the pioneer 720p's i sell can actually upstream a 1080p source.

We sell a few pioneers at work... and we hooked a bluray up to a 720p one and it blew a lot of 1080's away.