My downloads keep freezing

Often when I try to download large files, they will freeze at random times, and I'll have to start them over again with hopes it won't freeze the next time around (which they usually do). What could be the problem here? It's not my ISP as I often move back and forth between home and campus, and I've already tried reformatting to no avail.

Similarly, this also happens when I'm streaming youtube videos, but only in Firefox; IE streams youtube videos okay 100% of the time. Also, BitTorrent downloads things with no problems.

maybe you need to apply a tcp/ip patch

Could you give me more details about this? What do you suspect is the problem, and how might applying a tcp/ip patch help? (I don't know what a tcp/ip patch is)

• 3 weeks later...

Laptop or Desktop PC ?

I would check your RAM modules for tightness, on the motherboard. They may need reseated.

Scan for viruses.

Run a checkdisk.

Update your version of Firefox.

I would suggest using a good download manager, such as Download Accelerator Plus. ;)

At least it will Resume if you are cut off.

Ad version is free to use.

http://www.speedbit.com/

I'm using a laptop; I just reformatted my computer and bought a new HD so I'm pretty sure it's not a virus or disk problem. I do have the latest version of firefox, plus it occurs in IE, and even in situations where applications must download something (e.g. a patch, install information etc.), in which cases I don't believe a download accelerator would help. I suppose I could check my RAM... but I suspect if that was the case, freezing downloads would be the lesser of my problems.