Looking for a fast xvid/divx encoder

I have creative Zen and its video converter is kind of slow (24' for a 22' video).

The player supports DivX, Xvid, wmv9 (320x240 maximum output, so I virtually have to recode all of my video clips), and its converter doesn't allow to choose a coder other than wmv.

I'm looking for a faster encoder, that might utilize multicore cpu and maybe allow the integration of external subs. Currently using "Any Video Converter" http://www.any-video-converter.com/ set up to encode to xvid, which can do 8' to convert the 22' divx video I have, but looking at the cpu utilization of my computer, I can say that it's using only one core, and I guess it could be faster using both cores. Also, this tool can't embed the external subs to the output file.

Could you suggest the best converter you've used?

• 3 years later...

Most important is that the software support multiple processors and that your system has same. Dual CPU's are good for video rendering, but quads are better - even an old Intel Q6600 or AMD Phantom.

That it also support GPGPU (ATI's Srream or NVIDIA's CUDA - using the graphics GPU's shaders to accelerate rendering), preferrably under DirectX 11, would be sauce for the goose.