[official] HD DVD Rumors and Speculations

This thread was created to consolidate all the rumor and speculation threads regarding HD-DVD into one area, and will help with organization by cutting down on the repetitive posts regarding this subject.

This will also help staff moderate any issues such as flaming and trolling.

So... if you see or hear about any rumors, speculation, or unofficial news about HD-DVD... then this is the place to post.

This thread will be strictly moderated... any rule breakage including flames and trolling will be dealt with warns and restrictions

Edited by shockz

It looks like Michael Bay might be right.

Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!

Bay

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showt...p=9716#post9716

I can't wait for the day Transformers comes out on BD.

Nonsense, if you watch the video the guy is wrong. He said Walmart, but what he meant was Target. He was refering to the Blockbuster nad Target announcement in the beginning.

And please, post Blu-Ray rumours in the appropriate thread cause this has nothing to do with HD DVD.

Ahhah bugger, I made a mistake with all the topics there are :laugh:

Thought this said HD Rumours and Speculation - Didn't realise we had a rumours topic for both.

I'll request for a move.

IS THIS THE END OF BLU-RAY?

http://www.scientificblogging.com/science_..._definition_dvd

Some interesting unconfirmed rumours:

Sony caught buying Blu-Ray movies in the 10,s of 1,000's for all of 2007 to sway the numbers in Blu-Ray's favor.

I am hoping my source for this information comes out with an article soon about this monstrosity.

The BDA are up to no good trying to control the movie content we pay for to watch.

HD DVD will come back with a Vengeance. The DVD Forum is not stupid enough to let Sony's Blu-Ray format succeed SD DVD nor HD DVD. We can all expect 2 Major BD Studios shifting their allegiance with HD DVD exclusively between Q2 to Q3 2008. And one of them is not Warner Bros. Though I am sure they will soon follow within the Q4 2008 time frame.

The DVD Forum has had enough of this War and enough of the Sony's manipulative business tactics. Expect a law suit by the DVD Forum against the Blu-Ray Disc Association because of their use of "DVD".

Two major contributing factors for the 2 major studio shifts are going to be 1)Extremely well HD DVD player sales after Q1 2008 due to HD DVD promotional Groups extremely aggressive advertising which we've not even seen just yet and 2)The introduction of the TL51 discs with the TLTwin following about a month or so later due to the nature of the new triple layer twin discs replicating processes that will take a little longer than usual. Expect most of the TLTwin based films to be based on catalogue titles which should easily fit on the 4.7GB SD DVD layers.

Here is an e-mail I received by a fellow studio writer & a great friend. One studio to another studio.

-----------------------------------------------

Paramount/DreamWorks Home Entertainment - Classified Information.

Proposed list for 1st Quarter 2008 to 2nd Quarter 2008 HD DVD / More to come:

Titanic TLT

Braveheart TLT

Gladiator TLT

Deep Impact HD

The Prince of Egypt HD

Saving Private Ryan HD

Small Soldiers American Beauty HD

Shrek 1 & 2 (Also Trilogy BOX Set w/P3) TLT

The Last Castle HD

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence HD

A Beautiful Mind HD

The Curse of the Jade Scorpion HD

The Time Machine HD

The Tuxedo HD

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas TL51

Shark Tale HD

Nothing is written in stone, but this is what I found out within the studio.

You owe me a beer lol,

-----------------------------------------------

I will let you figure out what the terms "HD", "TLT" & "TL51" mean. :D

@ boz

If that is true, I sure hope a lawsuit is brought against Sony. That is utterly disgusting. I would hate to have the unethical, deceiving side "win" in this high-stake format war.

rofl @ that rumour list. It's hilarious for so many reasons. Whoever wrote that is living in some bizarre dreamland.

Some of the releases could be plausible tho, tho you can forget about Titanic on HD-DVD anywhere other than the US (Fox hold the rights for non US sales)

I actually look forward to seeing that film in High Def, dispite its overblown love story its actually a very decent film.

TLTwin based films to be based on catalogue titles which should easily fit on the 4.7GB SD DVD layers.

So this guy's idea of movies that can fit on 4.7GB are movies which are 3 hours long, like Titanic, Gladiator, and Braveheart? Regular DVD's are 9GB. Yeah, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about :no:

So this guy's idea of movies that can fit on 4.7GB are movies which are 3 hours long, like Titanic, Gladiator, and Braveheart? Regular DVD's are 9GB. Yeah, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about :no:

Um, a single SD-DVD layer is 4.7 Gb. A dual-layer SD-DVD is 9 Gb. The source is correct.

IS THIS THE END OF BLU-RAY?

http://www.scientificblogging.com/science_..._definition_dvd

Some interesting unconfirmed rumours:

Who the hell are the DVD Forum?

Just sounds like they have a personal vendetta.

The DVD Forum is not stupid enough to let Sony's Blu-Ray format succeed SD DVD nor HD DVD.

:blink:

The DVD Forum has had enough of this War and enough of the Sony's manipulative business tactics. Expect a law suit by the DVD Forum against the Blu-Ray Disc Association because of their use of "DVD".

:blink:

Um, a single SD-DVD layer is 4.7 Gb. A dual-layer SD-DVD is 9 Gb. The source is correct.

you missed the point...

the bitrate to fit a 3 hour long mpeg2 movie + sound etc is gonna suck

DVDforum?

consortium who owns the dvd and hd-dvd format

consortium who owns the dvd and hd-dvd format

oui... although afaik they are more of a group that represents the interests of DVD/HD-DVD than "owners" per sa.

Pretty much all of the BDA is also members of it, they just tend to abstain from voting when it comes to HD-DVD matters.

Another confirmation about the aggressive campaign about to follow..

This is from Robert from Value Electronics an official Toshiba reseller and an insider with some contacts:

Jeff, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are working on an escalated release schedule of catalog titles, but legal and replicating processes take some time to get through the pipeline.

Since you own a XA2 don't you agree that it is the very best up-converting SD DVD player available?

Give it a few months and we should see an increase of title releases.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....97#post12861497

you missed the point...

the bitrate to fit a 3 hour long mpeg2 movie + sound etc is gonna suck

Note that the source said that the TLT discs would be movies that would fit on a single layer SD DVD. I'm 99% sure they won't attempt to put a Lord of the Rings movie on a single-layer SD-DVD.

Note that the source said that the TLT discs would be movies that would fit on a single layer SD DVD. I'm 99% sure they won't attempt to put a Lord of the Rings movie on a single-layer SD-DVD.

Correct. There's PLENTY of movies that can fit on 4.7 with no loss of quality. Just the movie of course. I mean the features and extended value would come from the HD version right? I mean who needs extras anyways :) . We are just following Blu-Ray fanboy mantra here.

If TLT comes out soon, we only need few titles. It's O.V.E.R. The sales difference will be like 1000 to 1 ha ha ha.. Hell Gladiator alone or Shrek 1 and 2 would generate an incredible amount of sales. Same price, DVD movie + HD movie + features. Talk about consumers winning.

Oh btw, you don't want to see estimates for HD DVD equipped laptops for 2008.. ;) 5+ million including HP, Toshiba and other laptop manufacturers. It's going to be mighty interesting to see what happens until March, but I like the way the things are going. $79 HD DVD add-on for 360 would do miracles too.

If TLT comes out soon, we only need few titles. It's O.V.E.R. The sales difference will be like 1000 to 1 ha ha ha.. Hell Gladiator alone or Shrek 1 and 2 would generate an incredible amount of sales. Same price, DVD movie + HD movie + features. Talk about consumers winning.

Maybe, then Star Wars is released on BD :p

no point in having tl discs if there no movies to put on them

I looked at all the thing posted in the first sentence and can't really say that I believe any of them. I also can't see HD-DVD surviving when the only country it has any foothold is America, and even then it's being outsold by its competitor.

If TLT comes out soon, we only need few titles. It's O.V.E.R.

man, you've been saying it's over for a very long time now, and all of us at neowin know what happens when you make predictions, opposite happens.

man, you've been saying it's over for a very long time now, and all of us at neowin know what happens when you make predictions, opposite happens.

TL51 is still vaporware. This is a huge rumor. Besides, one of those movies is Spielberg and doesn't he get to say when his movies get released and on what format [and he is a very staunch support of Blu-Ray].

According to you Boz, this has been "OVER" about a dozen different times so far. OVER! OVER!

If TLT comes out soon, we only need few titles. It's O.V.E.R. The sales difference will be like 1000 to 1

I'm sorry what? Combo's and the like haven't done jack for the studio's sales before and once again DVD buyers will buy the cheapo DVD only release.

and lol @ that "rumour" list again. The ultimate source of this is a random rabid (Read some of his other posts) HD-DVD fanboy posting in the comments section on betanews.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Universal_...974983#c1316787

Titanic TLT So a 190 mins movie is going to fit on a TLT? lol give me a break. If you enjoy bitrates lower than VCD then HD-DVD is the format for you.

Saving Private Ryan HD A.I.: Artificial Intelligence The HD-DVD group has suddenly somehow managed to get Spielberg on board now? I doubt it.

Castaway Is a Fox film in the US, dreamworks rest of the world. The funny thing is that its already out on BD, whoops.

That entire list of rumours is hilarious. I'm not even going to waste my time arguing about it