• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[official] HD DVD Rumors and Speculations

xpablo    134

Well after loosing the video tape war to VHS, Sony is not about too loose again for DVD's.

For the time being i'm holding off on buying a BluRay & /or HD-DVD until everything is official, by then something else will be out and

Disc's as we know it will be obsolete.

giantpotato    296
Note that the source said that the TLT discs would be movies that would fit on a single layer SD DVD. I'm 99% sure they won't attempt to put a Lord of the Rings movie on a single-layer SD-DVD.

You make a good argument. They won't put the Lord of the Rings movie on a single layer disc, but according to this source they will put a movie(Titanic) which is 10 minutes longer (than Fellowship). :huh:

Mathachew    149
You make a good argument. They won't put the Lord of the Rings movie on a single layer disc, but according to this source they will put a movie(Titanic) which is 10 minutes longer (than Fellowship). :huh:

I'd imagine only the extended editions would be released on whatever HD format it eventually comes out on, which are longer than Titanic, which each film being a little longer in different amounts of time (Return of the King is the longest).

DrCheese    103

HD-DVD won't be seeing any of the LOTR films anyway :p, given that New Line went BD exclusive when Warner did.

I wouldn't put it past them to be lame like they was with the DVD releases, i.e release the standard ones first and then the extended ones later on so that the fans of the movie double dip.

Boz    1,324
TL51 is still vaporware. This is a huge rumor. Besides, one of those movies is Spielberg and doesn't he get to say when his movies get released and on what format [and he is a very staunch support of Blu-Ray].

According to you Boz, this has been "OVER" about a dozen different times so far. OVER! OVER!

According to me?!?! According to all Blu-Ray fans and BDA this war was over in January 2007.

And I like how Neowin Blu-Ray fanboys come here to right away spit on rumours LOL. Scared much?

It's actually very cool, cause you can be spotted right away. As soon as some possibility of success comes along here comes the Blu brigade to scream and yell how it's never gonna happen.

Relax, they are just rumours. Of course, if they do come true, Blu-Ray = history.

Boz    1,324
@ boz

If that is true, I sure hope a lawsuit is brought against Sony. That is utterly disgusting. I would hate to have the unethical, deceiving side "win" in this high-stake format war.

Oh Nate, they are so ripe for anti-trust investigation and lawsuits. They've been using DVD name all along so far and if they can manage to prove that Sony used it's influence through retailers to prevent sales of HD DVD software and hardware, it's not gonna be good for them AT ALL. They will tear them a new one. Knowing their business ethics though, I wouldn't be surprised these turn out to be true. What can you expect from a company that constantly dwells on rootkits, price fixings, retailer bullying and not to mention their ongoing attempts to establish themselves as monopoly in every new technology so they can rip on consumers over and over.

Just imagine what would happen if Microsoft took and used their influence to force retailers like Target and few others to stop carrying PS3s. Imagine what would happen if Microsoft paid off one way or the oterh, Activition, Ubisoft, EA, 2k Sports and similar to publish only Xbox 360 games. In addition to that made a deal with Blockbuster to stop renting PS3 games and Gamestop/EB Games from selling PS3 games.

There would be an anti-trust case against them in a second. Yet somehow Sony has managed to the EXACTLY that with HD DVD and nothing. Makes you wonder right?

Edited by Boz

Coldgunner    12
According to me?!?! According to all Blu-Ray fans and BDA this war was over in January 2007.

And I like how Neowin Blu-Ray fanboys come here to right away spit on rumours LOL. Scared much?

It's actually very cool, cause you can be spotted right away. As soon as some possibility of success comes along here comes the Blu brigade to scream and yell how it's never gonna happen.

Relax, they are just rumours. Of course, if they do come true, Blu-Ray = history.

I'm not even gonna bother replying, I think you should look in the mirror...

DrCheese    103

Spit on rumours?What's wrong with refuting rumours? You seem quite happy to do it whenever a BD rumour is posted.

Give over, that post is downright hilarious. It has zero creditability whatsoever. If it was reworded to support BD and posted 2 months ago you'd be all over it in seconds.

Relax, they are just rumours. Of course, if they do come true, format war = over.

There's so many "What if's" that could change the war. I could post on a forum that tomorrow 6 studio's will go HD-DVD and that would end the war. It doesn't really mean anything.

was over in January 2007.

I actually think the war is now over. It was over the moment Warner switched sides and Toshiba ran away from CES, but I'm quite happy to refute the HD-DVD dreamers who still think there's a chance.

Scared much?

:rolleyes:

Boz    1,324
I looked at all the thing posted in the first sentence and can't really say that I believe any of them. I also can't see HD-DVD surviving when the only country it has any foothold is America, and even then it's being outsold by its competitor.

Care to post those unbelievable numbers of players and software sales overseas? All of them COMBINED, don't even come close to US market. That should tell you something.

This war is being fought in the States, like it or not. Mass adoption will happen when there's a clear winner in the states. If anything popularity of non-existence of region coding makes HD DVD more popular around the world, it's just that you skew numbers with PS3 again. Ask them how many Blu standalones are sold. PS3 overseas is in 90% of the cases being bought for gaming heritage.

Coldgunner    12
Care to post those unbelievable numbers of players and software sales overseas? All of them COMBINED, don't even come close to US market. That should tell you something.

This war is being fought in the States, like it or not. Mass adoption will happen when there's a clear winner in the states. If anything popularity of non-existence of region coding makes HD DVD more popular around the world, it's just that you skew numbers with PS3 again. Ask them how many Blu standalones are sold. PS3 overseas is in 90% of the cases being bought for gaming heritage.

you seem to have the figures, why not disprove us?

DrCheese    103
This war is being fought in the States, like it or not.

Its that attitude that's made HD-DVD such a joke anywhere else in the world. How narrow minded of the HD-DVD group to assume that the rest of the world doesn't matter. Meanwhile BD in Japan enjoys a 90% marketshare, whist over in Europe the BDA advertises all over the place and builds up a market.

it's just that you skew numbers with PS3 again.

You can cry about that as much as you want but it doesn't change anything, The PS3 is a massive advantage to the BD camp and its numbers should count for something. How you can say that "90% of PS3's overseas are used for games" is hilarious. I doubt it's much different than than the US when it comes to using the PS3 for movies.

I find it telling you no longer post your "rumours" or your viewpoint about the "illegal war" on forums like AVS/HD digest/engadgetHD, probably you realise even the HD-DVD diehards on those sites would laugh it off. The way you word posts on here makes it as if you have something personal against the BDA

Edited by DrCheese

Coldgunner    12

I would imagine the groups in charge of fair trading all over the world would have picked up this stuff by now, lo and behold they haven't, wonder why...

Boz    1,324
Its that attitude that's made HD-DVD such a joke anywhere else in the world. How narrow minded of the HD-DVD group to assume that the rest of the world doesn't matter. Meanwhile BD in Japan enjoys a 90% marketshare, whist over in Europe the BDA advertises all over the place and builds up a market.

You can cry about that as much as you want but it doesn't change anything, The PS3 is a massive advantage to the BD camp. How you can say that "90% of PS3's overseas are used for games" is hilarious. I doubt it's much different than than the US when it comes to using the PS3 for movies.

I find it telling you no longer post your "rumours" or your viewpoint about the "illegal war" on forums like AVS/HD digest/engadgetHD, probably because even the HD-DVD diehards on those sites would laugh it off.

I've only been active on AVS for a little bit, and have not really posted anywhere else. I don't really know what you are refering too. Secondly, it's pointless to argue with hordes of juvenile Blu-Ray fanboys that don't have an ounce of reason or logic. It's pointless to argue anymore. It's abundance of ignorance that caused that not to mention the behavior. The whole notion that this war is at the state it's in because Sony and Blu-Ray is somehow better is absolutely and utterly beyond ridiculous. Every single person knows what has been going on and as I said, this will eventually swim out on the surface.

Here you go, even the people in the industry, AV experts all know what's going on, but you can't do much about that. Bottom line is that HD DVD IS superior consumer format. Blu-Ray is niche and unfinished. There's nothing to discuss anymore. That's a fact. Everything else is corporate relations and deals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with consumer choice.

HD DVD - A DEMISE GREATLY EXAGGERATED

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/hd_...xaggerated/C175

Gally    1

iDisc sounds promising :laugh:

Coldgunner    12
I've only been active on AVS for a little bit, and have not really posted anywhere else. I don't really know what you are refering too. Secondly, it's pointless to argue with hordes of juvenile Blu-Ray fanboys that don't have an ounce of reason or logic. It's pointless to argue anymore. It's abundance of ignorance that caused that not to mention the behavior. The whole notion that this war is at the state it's in because Sony and Blu-Ray is somehow better is absolutely and utterly beyond ridiculous. Every single person knows what has been going on and as I said, this will eventually swim out on the surface.

Here you go, even the people in the industry, AV experts all know what's going on, but you can't do much about that. Bottom line is that HD DVD IS superior consumer format. Blu-Ray is niche and unfinished. There's nothing to discuss anymore. That's a fact. Everything else is corporate relations and deals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with consumer choice.

HD DVD - A DEMISE GREATLY EXAGGERATED

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/hd_...xaggerated/C175

actually, BD profile 1.1 is considered finished, as was bd 1.0. bd-live is more of an extension.

btw thats the opinion of one person in the link, hardly industry changing,

Boz    1,324
actually, BD profile 1.1 is considered finished, as was bd 1.0. bd-live is more of an extension.

btw thats the opinion of one person in the link, hardly industry changing,

According to who? The BDA? With Profile 1.1 Blu-Ray STILL doesn't have all HD DVD features. Profile 2.0 is the ONLY profile that matches features offered by HD DVD and it's even questionable whether Profile 2.0 titles will work on Profile 1.0 as far as menus, extras etc.

You'll start pointing out to me how Blu-Ray is carefully and nicely thought out format? LOL.. give me a break.. people and companies involved with Blu-Ray creation themselves said that they had to rush out an unfinished format because of HD DVD would've been the standard right from the start. So tell me, who caused harm to consumers more? Blu-Ray or HD DVD? Let me remind you that HD DVD was FIRST to the market with fully finished specification. Blu-Ray rushed out with half-assed format just so they wouldn't lose without an ounce of regret that they killed the chance of consumers getting a great HD format from the start.

There's no denying there and now someone has the NERVE to say that HD DVD is somehow trying to sabotage Blu-Ray advantage that was not gained by consumers but by again cashola. Talk about hypocrits.

Coldgunner    12
According to who? The BDA? With Profile 1.1 Blu-Ray STILL doesn't have all HD DVD features. Profile 2.0 is the ONLY profile that matches features offered by HD DVD and it's even questionable whether Profile 2.0 titles will work on Profile 1.0 as far as menus, extras etc.

http://www.emedialive.com/articles/readart...cleid=11397#iij

it is also a requirement for profile 2.0 discs to be BC with profile 1.0 players

There's no denying there and now someone has the NERVE to say that HD DVD is somehow trying to sabotage Blu-Ray advantage that was not gained by consumers but by again cashola. Talk about hypocrits.

they already tried by paying off paramount

theyarecomingforyou    10,425
Blu-Ray is niche

How on Earth did you come to that conclusion? It's designed for the average consumer that wants to buy hi-def content, which is an ever expanding market. I've come to expect nonsense from you Boz but you seem to be taking it further everyday.

PS3 overseas is in 90% of the cases being bought for gaming heritage.

Source please. Oh wait, you can't possibly have one because the information is simply not available. People aren't asked when buying a PS3 what it is primarily for and even IF they were that is no indication as to how many plan to use it as a Blu-ray player. Boz, you are making a laughing stock of yourself.

If anything popularity of non-existence of region coding makes HD DVD more popular around the world, it's just that you skew numbers with PS3 again.

Source / evidence? Region coding had little impact upon DVD as most consumers buy DVDs locally. Not only that but many Blu-ray titles (I heard the figure 70%, though I haven't verified that) support all regions, making the issue less significant.

Just like you're doing defending HD-DVD? You're a hypocrite. It's quite entertaining how you're always portraying anybody supporting Blu-ray as a "fanboy" as if HD-DVD supporters are all reasonable and well educated. You're proof that HD-DVD supporters can be just as unreasonable.

Blu-ray has more playback devices on the market than HD-DVD, it has support from the majority of major studios and it has an 85/15 advantage in disc sales. And yet you're still here talking about a comeback, making up statistics about what people use PS3s for and attacking Sony at every opportunity, even though they are only one of the backers of Blu-ray. If you want to debate things sensibly then that's great and I support that but you are not being reasonable. It's people like you that are turning a relatively insignificant matter (what type of disc hi-def movies are stored on) into a bitter feud, lambasting anyone you can't counter as a "fanboy" (though never singling out a single member exlusively so as to avoid getting a warning). You have shown bad faith throughout this "debate". Both sides are throwing money about and yet Sony is the bad guy and the HD-DVD group the poor victim.

TogaForComfort    1

If they want to pull this situation back they need to do something quick.

Zavvi (The new name for Virgin Megastores) Advertise evenly in the media, with a two page advert half for BD half for HD-DVD. However, if you go intothe flagship store on Oxford St it a Blu-Ray fest. All of the large screen HD displays have a HD-DVD player and either a Blu-Ray player or PS3 in them but all play Blu-Ray advertisements. If I was a general consumer (Which most people are) I would be asking about Blu-Ray in that store.

Coldgunner    12
If they want to pull this situation back they need to do something quick.

Zavvi (The new name for Virgin Megastores) Advertise evenly in the media, with a two page advert half for BD half for HD-DVD. However, if you go intothe flagship store on Oxford St it a Blu-Ray fest. All of the large screen HD displays have a HD-DVD player and either a Blu-Ray player or PS3 in them but all play Blu-Ray advertisements. If I was a general consumer (Which most people are) I would be asking about Blu-Ray in that store.

that seems to be the case across the country, in the tv media there have only been 2 ads I can think of for hd-dvd.

theyarecomingforyou    10,425

Here in the UK I wouldn't say there's any clear advertising advantage for either format. I see HD-DVD (combined with DVD) adverts at train stations and see Blu-ray advertised a bit on TV (for Pirates Of The Caribbean) but neither is doing much - I see more coverage on the news. The more interesting indication is that walking into several Woolworths stores I've noticed Blu-ray movies (still a tiny, tiny minority) popping up and the number of them has been increasing, whereas HD-DVD was nowhere to be seen. I still haven't seen any HD-DVD media in person.

Boz talks about the US not being the most important battleground but if that's the case then the HD-DVD group should really be getting media into stores. If it's not available then people can't buy it. People are becoming more aware that Blu-ray is supported by the PS3, which is important considering I haven't seen standalone HD-DVD / Blu-ray players about.

soniqstylz    1,048

Since this is the HD-DVD rumors thread, and not the talk **** on Boz and have him defend himself flamewar thread:

Is Wal-Mart putting those long-awaited Venturer players on clearance?!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7942216

On a related note, Circuit City dropping HD-DVD?

http://www.1080living.com/modules.php?name...icle&sid=17

edit: nevermind, it seems that the CC rumor is false.

Edited by soniqstylz

Boz    1,324
Since this is the HD-DVD rumors thread, and not the talk **** on Boz and have him defend himself flamewar thread:

Is Wal-Mart putting those long-awaited Venturer players on clearance?!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7942216

On a related note, Circuit City dropping HD-DVD?

http://www.1080living.com/modules.php?name...icle&sid=17

edit: nevermind, it seems that the CC rumor is false.

Venturer players are on clearance as the new strategy creates a problem at their prices. No arguing there. Though Alco IS building A3 players for Toshiba (Alco is Venturer). It really isn't an issue though when you can get $100 HD-A3, $140 HD-A30 and $200 HD-A35 now. All amazing players.

Coldgunner    12
Venturer players are on clearance as the new strategy creates a problem at their prices. No arguing there. Though Alco IS building A3 players for Toshiba (Alco is Venturer). It really isn't an issue though when you can get $100 HD-A3, $140 HD-A30 and $200 HD-A35 now. All amazing players.

all this is telling me is that everyone is trying to get rid of what may well soon be a redundant format

Boz    1,324
all this is telling me is that everyone is trying to get rid of what may well soon be a redundant format

nonsense, it only means that they will be replacing Venturer with Toshiba A3s at $100 instead of $199 for Venturer..but you are free to deduce whatever you like I guess..