• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[official] Next Generation HD Format General Discussion

Crazysah    7

Yeah... I read that article too...

Blu-Ray will not be mass marketed until prices fall fast!

soniqstylz    1,048
Why do you have to kill off DVD? What's wrong with it? That's the whole point.

VHS was significantly inferior to DVD, thus phasing out. DVD is not significantly inferior to Blu-Ray. You don't find anti-consumer to completely kill off completely valid and good quality movies and players that cost $50-$100 and movies cost $6-$10, just because you can sell $30 movies and $400+ players?

THE ONLY reason to forcefully kill off DVD is to force consumers to pay more for Blu-Ray or have nothing basically. This was the plan all along and PantonMan's comment obviously shows that.

DVD is great, for 90% is actually good enough. To kill it off forcefully is absolutely anti-consumer.

But I'm sure you'll say how that is all ok I guess. Phasing out will happen much much sooner as many think because BDA and Sony needs to get their money back from paying off so many outlets to win this war.

What we are seeing here is that Blu-Ray has no intention of fighting against DVD again, they'll just get everyone to stop supporting it and now when we have one format it makes it much easier for them to do so as all those corporations are greedy bastards anyways.

I think that's pretty clear so far. All I can say is good luck to those who still find upscaled DVDs to look good enough (as they are pretty good).

Penton Man is not a Sony insider. He's a Hollywood insider, somewhat like Bill Hunt.

paidgeek is the Sony insider.

Bhav    18
but Sony insider himself said.. the next Blu-Ray strategy is to cut off DVD from consumers and force them to buy Blu-Ray only.

You got a source for that? Or is it one of your infamous insiders who have given you wrong info all along ;)

I guess it's just denial.

Ohh the irony, Mr HD DVD :rofl:

goji    30

Boz....., you picking up my hat and dance routine?

Crazysah    7

Well go HD DVD with your 50$ players!

Yes yes... I know HD DVD is dead...

TruckWEB    480

For some of you who got a Blu-Ray player and mailed the coupon for the 5 free movies, just how many weeks did it take for those movie to be send to you?

It's been well over a month now and I'm still waiting.

+StevoFC    21
For some of you who got a Blu-Ray player and mailed the coupon for the 5 free movies, just how many weeks did it take for those movie to be send to you?

It's been well over a month now and I'm still waiting.

it normally takes 8-10 weeks. I haven't received my 5 free blu ray yet either, but my HD DVD's took about 11 weeks to get.

sn00pie    2

TruckWeb, its suppose to take time, that's why I didn't even bother doing it. What movies are you guys planning on adding to your collections soon?

I'm waiting for I Am Legend. :D

TruckWEB    480

Toshiba's Plan for Life After HD DVD

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1204504289...s_editors_picks

WSJ: Aren't you at a disadvantage with just standard DVD players?

Mr. Nishida: What people don't realize is that Hollywood studios are going to release new titles not just for Blu-ray but for standard DVDs as well, and there are a far greater number of current-generation DVD players out there. If you watch standard DVDs on our players, the images are of very high quality because they include an "upconverting" feature. And we're going to improve this even more, so that consumers won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images. The players would be much cheaper than Blu-ray players too. Next-generation DVD players are in a much weaker position than when standard DVD players were first introduced.

What? So Toshiba is going to make standard DVD player that can output a picture quality that is the same as HD-DVD....?? How is that different than upscaling? I'm sorry, but I can make a difference between upscaled movies and Hi-Def movies. I have good eyes and a 1080p HDTV.

I love how Toshiba is now lowering the effect of Hi-Def movies just because HD-DVD is dead. What was on those red box: "The Look and Sound of Perfect".... Yeah right.

Boz    1,324
What? So Toshiba is going to make standard DVD player that can output a picture quality that is the same as HD-DVD....?? How is that different than upscaling? I'm sorry, but I can make a difference between upscaled movies and Hi-Def movies. I have good eyes and a 1080p HDTV.

I love how Toshiba is now lowering the effect of Hi-Def movies just because HD-DVD is dead. What was on those red box: "The Look and Sound of Perfect".... Yeah right.

Actually the technology is VERY impressive. Many people have seen it at CES 2008. This technology was supposed to be implemented in their TVs and Sharp TVs but since HD DVD died they will implement in their players now.

Super-sampling is truly impressive. It offers physicial 960p upsampling where you can't really differentiate it from the HD source on smaller sets.

Toshiba has developed a new super-sampling technology that is the latest buzz in the industry. It is very close to actually upscaling regular DVDs to HD quality. The results are very impressive. All this thanks to their new Cell engine.

Toshiba showed off a lot of their new display products for us at the 2008 CES, but the one technological development that stood out was their use of the Cell Broadband Engine (yes the same processor found in the Sony PS3). They had a rather sophisticated demo involving both standard definition and high-definition content which utilized the Cell Broadband Engine to sharpen images with uncanny ability.

The technology demonstrations at CES featured real-time image super-resolution that literally transformed SD images into HD. They also have the capability to perform multi-decoding, the simultaneous playback of multiple videos that can bring up to 48 moving images to the screen.

image.jpg

image2.jpg

We were impressed by the hair detail as well as the shirt detail "grown" by the cell broadband engine.

It's always been said by us that you cannot take standard definition, upconvert it to HD and expect the same results as if you had an actual HD source. With that said, the cell processor technique demoed by Toshiba - in real-time so as to not be mistaken for a parlor trick - came pretty darn close. Detail popped and edges cleared up without the typical artifacts you'd expect. We did notice some jaggy artifacts on some of the material, but overall this is a technology that is extremely promising. We're hoping it debuts sometime by 2009, but there was no specific release information given from Toshiba on the official timeline.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/displ...video-processor

Super-upconversion example:

Super-resolution_example_closeup.png

In a recent interview with Toshiba CEO they state that they will continue improving on DVD and bring the new super-sampling technology into new DVD players for cheap.

Wall Street Journal (WSJ) recently talked with Toshiba CEO Atsutoshi Nishida about life after HD DVD.

Mr. Nishida (CEO): Toshiba will continue to produce standard DVD players. They believe they can still make a difference. "What people don't realize is that Hollywood studios are going to release new titles not just for Blu-ray but for standard DVDs as well, and there are a far greater number of current-generation DVD players out there. If you watch standard DVDs on our players, the images are of very high quality because they include an "upconverting" feature. And we're going to improve this even more, so that consumers won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images. The players would be much cheaper than Blu-ray players too. Next-generation DVD players are in a much weaker position than when standard DVD players were first introduced." Nishida said.

As a follow up, a poster wrote: The upconversion Nishida's talking about is "Super Upconversion" or Real-Time Super Resolution technique that has been used in astronomy and by intelligence services for decades. CELL's computational power allows real-time super resolution processing of SD video to increase its native resolution to 960p, by fusing 9 frames front and back.

The Super Resolution(aka Super Upconversion) output is truely 960p, and journalists who have seen the demo at trade shows like CEDEC and CES vouched that it really worked. Previously, Super Upconversion was scheduled to appear on Sharp and Toshiba HDTV sets only, but the death of HD-DVD changed all that it is now confirmed that Super Upconversion will come to DVD players as well.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/toshiba-ceo-talks-about-life-after-hd-dvd/5299

Btw, Super Resolution can be applied to HD sources as well.

TruckWEB    480
Actually the technology is VERY impressive. Many people have seen it at CES 2008. This technology was supposed to be implemented in their TVs and Sharp TVs but since HD DVD died they will implement in their players now.

Super-sampling is truly impressive. It offers physicial 960p upsampling where you can't really differentiate it from the HD source on smaller sets.

I hope you're not trying to convince anybody that 960p upsampling is as good as true 1080p found in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Missing information is still missing information, no mater how you upconvert it or upsample it... You're filling the blank with fuzzy logic data, that's all.

It can give good result, but it can't match the real thing. And you're talking about smaller sets.... But with big screen HDTV, it's another ball game.

goji    30

Ya know, I've always loved how video card ads always A/B'ed images for consumers to see just how much of an improvement adding a card is to their PC. Crud in is still crud out regardless.

soniqstylz    1,048

Toshiba - The look and sound of "good enough".

frogger    1

that super-scaling looks amazing, who's implementing it now?

is it hardware or software based?

Crazysah    7

When is BluRay going to be final? I mean when are all the players going to be future and backward compliant?

Boz    1,324
I hope you're not trying to convince anybody that 960p upsampling is as good as true 1080p found in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Missing information is still missing information, no mater how you upconvert it or upsample it... You're filling the blank with fuzzy logic data, that's all.

It can give good result, but it can't match the real thing. And you're talking about smaller sets.... But with big screen HDTV, it's another ball game.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just saying that this technology is great and brings DVD to whole new levels. Unless you saw this in person you really can't judge how good it is. I've seen it and discussed it with many people in the industry. Everyone is really impressed it brings new life to DVD and spells trouble for Blu-Ray on a mass adoption.

If people are already content with upscaled DVDs this will blow their socks of and the best part is that they really don't have to change any optics. It's just the chip, which means same low prices of DVD but with super-upscaling integrated. The best part about this technology is that you really don't have to rebuy your DVDs. You use the old DVDs and the quality is SIGNIFICANTLY improved pretty much matching HD. Sure, Blu-Ray will have more information but for majority of people who sit 9-10 feet from their TV that additional data becomes irrelevant anyways.

I will personally continue getting Blu-Ray of course, but I will definitely pick up a new DVD player with this technology when it comes out. Blu-Ray simply has no way of catching up to DVD now or in at least next 5 years content wise. This is where this technology really shines and to be honest with you I don't think that majority of the people will care to upgrade to more expensive Blu-Ray players when they see how good this new technology looks and it looks pretty damn good. Courtesy of Cell Processor.

You're filling the blank with fuzzy logic data, that's all.

Well you are not filling the blank with fuzzy logic data. You are actually using the REAL data from the 4 frames before your actual frame and 4 frames after your actual frame generating additional content that's missing in a single frame. This is all real data, cell does the realtime processing. It's not like it will paint anything in there. It's using an already existing content.

And I'm not sure what you are trying to say with big screen comment. If upscaled DVDs look pretty good on my 42 and 50" TVs this new technology will allow it to look maybe 10-20% worse then the actual HD content. That's pretty damn good. Sure, on my 106" Projector the HD advantage will be more visible, but how many people have TVs larger then 50". The percentage is VERY small.

I'm glad they are improving existing DVD technology. In one way, I'm glad because it will stick it to the movie studios who were so glad to make backroom deals for Blu-Ray, retailers who will not be able to ignore it no matter how much money they make on Blu-Ray and of course the fact that consumers won't have to rebuy ANYTHING movie wise to get the benefit of much much better looking content. Of course that it won't be the same as Blu-Ray, but it will come very close to it for many people forcing Blu-Ray to go cheap VERY FAST both player and movie wise.

If this comes out, the consumer might actually win out after all. Those who demand the maximum will continue paying higher Blu-Ray prices, and those who think that DVD works pretty good will be in heaven with this.

Edited by Boz

draklin    465
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just saying that this technology is great and brings DVD to whole new levels. Unless you saw this in person you really can't judge how good it is. I've seen it and discussed it with many people in the industry. Everyone is really impressed it brings new life to DVD and spells trouble for Blu-Ray on a mass adoption.

If people are already content with upscaled DVDs this will blow their socks of and the best part is that they really don't have to change any optics. It's just the chip, which means same low prices of DVD but with super-upscaling integrated. The best part about this technology is that you really don't have to rebuy your DVDs. You use the old DVDs and the quality is SIGNIFICANTLY improved pretty much matching HD. Sure, Blu-Ray will have more information but for majority of people who sit 9-10 feet from their TV that additional data becomes irrelevant anyways.

I will personally continue getting Blu-Ray of course, but I will definitely pick up a new DVD player with this technology when it comes out. Blu-Ray simply has no way of catching up to DVD now or in at least next 5 years content wise. This is where this technology really shines and to be honest with you I don't think that majority of the people will care to upgrade to more expensive Blu-Ray players when they see how good this new technology looks and it looks pretty damn good. Courtesy of Cell Processor.

Well you are not filling the blank with fuzzy logic data. You are actually using the REAL data from the 4 frames before your actual frame and 4 frames after your actual frame generating additional content that's missing in a single frame. This is all real data, cell does the realtime processing. It's not like it will paint anything in there. It's using an already existing content.

And I'm not sure what you are trying to say with big screen comment. If upscaled DVDs look pretty good on my 42 and 50" TVs this new technology will allow it to look maybe 10-20% worse then the actual HD content. That's pretty damn good. Sure, on my 106" Projector the HD advantage will be more visible, but how many people have TVs larger then 50". The percentage is VERY small.

I'm glad they are improving existing DVD technology. In one way, I'm glad because it will stick it to the movie studios who were so glad to make backroom deals for Blu-Ray, retailers who will not be able to ignore it no matter how much money they make on Blu-Ray and of course the fact that consumers won't have to rebuy ANYTHING movie wise to get the benefit of much much better looking content. Of course that it won't be the same as Blu-Ray, but it will come very close to it for many people.

I see two problems with this. the first is this quote.

We're hoping it debuts sometime by 2009, but there was no specific release information given from Toshiba on the official timeline.

Which is basically saying we don't know when it is coming, we think(read hope) it will be by next year.

The other problem is price. I didn't see anything about a potential price point for this. By 2009, Blu-Ray will be profile 2 and cheaper(not sure by how much, but it WILL be cheaper). This new tech should be over 100 for the dvd player. Maybe 200? Not sure, but if there isn't much of a price difference between it and a Blu player then it will be hard for them to push this as Blu players will already upconvert. That upconvert may not as good as this, but then the BD movies will be better so it is a toss up.

And finally, as for the part that I bolded, just let it go already. HD-DVD lost, BD won. Sony is no more evil than any other company.

MGS4-SS    0

Boz, it will not spell trouble for BluRay's mass adoption because:

1. Joes don't know about this, and really don't care.

2. Joes won't know the difference between Super Duper Archi Mega Up sampling/Upscaling DVD players and a normal DVD player. Joes do, however, know the difference between a DVD player and a BluRay player.

Boz    1,324
I see two problems with this. the first is this quote.

Which is basically saying we don't know when it is coming, we think(read hope) it will be by next year.

The other problem is price. I didn't see anything about a potential price point for this. By 2009, Blu-Ray will be profile 2 and cheaper(not sure by how much, but it WILL be cheaper). This new tech should be over 100 for the dvd player. Maybe 200? Not sure, but if there isn't much of a price difference between it and a Blu player then it will be hard for them to push this as Blu players will already upconvert. That upconvert may not as good as this, but then the BD movies will be better so it is a toss up.

And finally, as for the part that I bolded, just let it go already. HD-DVD lost, BD won. Sony is no more evil than any other company.

First of all, to address your comment, Sony IS much more anti-consumer then many other companies. That's a fact, not to mention that they own every aspect of entertainment industry doing everything to prevent others from succeeding regardless whether they have a better product or not. That's what's bad about them.

Second, the reason why I like this technology is because YOU WILL NOT get ALL DVD titles on Blu-Ray. How are you going to watch DVD movies not on Blu-Ray? These players shouldn't be much more expensive then regular DVD players because they use EVERYTHING the same. The difference is only cell processor which is priced lower and lower as the mass consumption grows. The key thing here is that you don't have to rebuy your DVDs to get better quality.

The whole point is that PS3 might be using this same technology as well as it has Cell processors, not to mention the fact that this technology allows in the future if we have 1440p displays or even higher resolution to super-upscale our HD content we buy today.

Super-upscaling is AMAZING movement in technology and nobody is forcing you to get the upgrade. You can keep buying Blu-Ray while people who don't want to upgrade can get this. What's wrong about that?

Sony fanboyism is really mindboggling that every time I read the logic behind Sony fans is that ANYTHING else that brings good things is bad if it will in any way prevent Blu-Ray or PS3 from succeeding.. It's really silly but very destructive way of thinking.

Listen, I'm sick and tired of people like you telling me it's over.. What's over?.. TECHNOLOGY now needs to stop when Blu-Ray is here? What the hell are you talking about? I have more Blu-Ray stuff in my house then what you'll have in years to come, so you telling me to let something go is ridiculous at best. HD DVD is out of the way, new technologies are coming. They are all very good and there is quite a good chance that Blu-Ray won't raise up to become a standard either.

This is not VHS to DVD times.. techology is so much more advanced today that relying on optical media becomes less and less relevant to start, every single CE company is building media centers, network storage and streaming technologies, embedded hard drives, flash memory, SSDs etc etc... Blu-Ray is just a ZING in the whole thing, not to mention expensive and still lacking a lot of things.

I'm glad that Cell technology is breathing new life into DVD. It just means that people won't have to spend an arm and a leg in transition to digital downloads and onDemand HD. If you love Blu-Ray.. feel free to buy it.. nobody is telling you not to.. but you have to stop telling other people what they need to do or support.

And what i find laughable is that you are making a comment about the technology because I'm personally glad that it might make Blu-Ray play harder? LOL, all of this is great because it makes everyone lower prices.. to say it's bad is really completely illogical.

Edited by Boz

draklin    465
First of all, to address your comment, Sony IS much more anti-consumer then many other companies. That's a fact, not to mention that they own every aspect of entertainment industry doing everything to prevent others from succeeding regardless whether they have a better product or not. That's what's bad about them.

Second, the reason why I like this technology is because YOU WILL NOT get ALL DVD titles on Blu-Ray. How are you going to watch DVD movies not on Blu-Ray? These players shouldn't be much more expensive then regular DVD players because they use EVERYTHING the same. The difference is only cell processor which is priced lower and lower as the mass consumption grows. The key thing here is that you don't have to rebuy your DVDs to get better quality.

The whole point is that PS3 might be using this same technology as well as it has Cell processors, not to mention the fact that this technology allows in the future if we have 1440p displays or even higher resolution to super-upscale our HD content we buy today.

Super-upscaling is AMAZING movement in technology and nobody is forcing you to get the upgrade. You can keep buying Blu-Ray while people who don't want to upgrade can get this. What's wrong about that?

Sony fanboyism is really mindboggling that every time I read the logic behind Sony fans is that ANYTHING else that brings good things is bad if it will in any way prevent Blu-Ray or PS3 from succeeding.. It's really silly but very destructive way of thinking.

First of all I am not a Sony fanboy. Second, I never said it was bad tech. I was trying to point out that it needs to be cheap for it to be viable.

Um, you do know that ALL dvds play on a BLU player right? According to you, a Blu player doesn't play dvds AT ALL which is completely untrue. All Blu players play dvd and upconvert as well so your quote is nothing but FUD.

That's a fact, not to mention that they own every aspect of entertainment industry doing everything to prevent others from succeeding regardless whether they have a better product or not.

You got a source for that? Every aspect? I am sure a whole lot of companies would be very upset to be told that they are "owned" by Sony. Also, other than trying to win the blu vs hd-dvd, how have they prevented others from succeeding?

Listen, I'm sick and tired of people like you telling me it's over.. What's over?.. TECHNOLOGY now needs to stop when Blu-Ray is here? What the hell are you talking about? I have more Blu-Ray stuff in my house then what you'll have in years to come, so you telling me to let something go is ridiculous at best. HD DVD is out of the way, new technologies are coming. They are all very good and there is quite a good chance that Blu-Ray won't raise up to become a standard either.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that Blu is the end all for everything. You just seem to be stuck hating sony and BD. Technology will never stop and blu will be replaced by something better. That is a fact.

Boz    1,324

There is no need for proof.. Sony OWNS close to 30% of movie studios, OWNS CE manufacturing and has very much influence in gaming industry as well as PC industry. So yes, you don't need proof, it's in front of your eyes. They own, both hardware and content in every aspect of entertainment not to mention HUGE influence on a retail level. No other company has this, allowing Sony to sabotage and fight dirty on every level.

I don't know anyone who will disagree that Sony is absolutely anti-consumer company. They went above and beyond to control consumers in every possible way from retail to installing root kits and similar crap on the content you get. That's what is the most problematic thing with them. Their attitude and business has nothing to do with their ability to indeed make some products that are good but that's not what I have issues with it's their overall attitude towards consumers that I am personally against very much.

Blu-Ray playing DVDs is completely irrelevant to what we are discussing. DVDs even upscaled CANNOT measure to this new super-upscaling technology. There are people out there.. A LOT OF THEM, maybe 90% of the market that are very content with DVDs. They have hundreds of DVDs bought. That's the whole point, this new technology allows you to get really GREAT , pretty much HD quality out of your old DVDs. You can't do that with current Blu-Ray devices, that's the whole point. This of course, doesn't mean that Toshiba might not license this so future Blu-Ray players have this capability, but it will just add to an already pricey players.

If this player is $100-$150 and works as advertised it's a great upgrade for those who like DVDs. It's basically a DVD player with DVD enhancement technology.

Coldgunner    12
Blu-Ray playing DVDs is completely irrelevant to what we are discussing. DVDs even upscaled CANNOT measure to this new super-upscaling technology. There are people out there.. A LOT OF THEM, maybe 90% of the market that are very content with DVDs. They have hundreds of DVDs bought. That's the whole point, this new technology allows you to get really GREAT , pretty much HD quality out of your old DVDs. You can't do that with current Blu-Ray devices, that's the whole point. This of course, doesn't mean that Toshiba might not license this so future Blu-Ray players have this capability, but it will just add to an already pricey players.

thats mainly because we buy our BD's for HD content, we know DVD ain't nowhere near as good quality, no matter what filters and processing you put behind it, like what has been said before, you cannot magicly create the missing information in the picture. By the time stuff like this eventually comes to market most of our favourite content will be available on BD anyway.

giantpotato    296

I don't see how this turned into super-sampling vs. Blu-Ray. This is simply a progression of technology and eventually it will find it's place in Blu-Ray players. Then consumers will be able to have a single player that plays Blu-Ray discs or super-sampled DVD's. I don't see why it would have to be in a separate dvd-only player. If the technology is a cheap as you say it is, it would be trivial to add it to future blu-ray players.

+Audioboxer    2,876
I don't see how this turned into super-sampling vs. Blu-Ray. This is simply a progression of technology and eventually it will find it's place in Blu-Ray players. Then consumers will be able to have a single player that plays Blu-Ray discs or super-sampled DVD's. I don't see why it would have to be in a separate dvd-only player. If the technology is a cheap as you say it is, it would be trivial to add it to future blu-ray players.

(Y)

MGS4-SS    0

This is not VHS to DVD times.. techology is so much more advanced today that relying on optical media becomes less and less relevant to start, every single CE company is building media centers, network storage and streaming technologies, embedded hard drives, flash memory, SSDs etc etc... Blu-Ray is just a ZING in the whole thing, not to mention expensive and still lacking a lot of things.

I'm glad that Cell technology is breathing new life into DVD. It just means that people won't have to spend an arm and a leg in transition to digital downloads and onDemand HD. If you love Blu-Ray.. feel free to buy it.. nobody is telling you not to.. but you have to stop telling other people what they need to do or support.

And what i find laughable is that you are making a comment about the technology because I'm personally glad that it might make Blu-Ray play harder? LOL, all of this is great because it makes everyone lower prices.. to say it's bad is really completely illogical.

The thing is that if it was HDDVD the format that came out on top, you wouldn't be talking all this crap.

But whatever floats your boat Boz, BluRay won and it will be here to stay for years. Digital Distribution is far from becoming a standard. Heck, we will first see cars running on magic before DD is a standard.

Upscaling DVD's is not the same as a HD movie, even you know that. This technology will not affect BluRay... well, it will help it. So your dream of BluRay failing is long over, it didn't happen, it isn't happening and it won't happen.

Welcome to the real world Boz, you lose some, you win some.