[official] Next Generation HD Format General Discussion

Welcome to the real world Boz, you lose some, you win some.

LOL.. a kid telling me "welcome to a real world"..LOL...

you are the one who is looking through what I said with Blu-Ray blinders on. Nobody is saying that this super-upscaler is exactly the same as HD.. It will just allow people who don't want to spend $20-$30 per movie to enjoy their existing collections and new DVDs in much better quality then what even DVD upscaling offers now.

@Marty

Whether or not this goes into Blu-Ray player is very questionable. Can it, sure.. if they use cell processor, but Toshiba owns the production now and owns this technology, and something tells me they will not play really nice with BDA about this. The fact they simply refused to build Blu-Ray players says that quite clearly. Another reason you most likely won't see this technology in Blu-Ray is because BDA would cut off studios completely and cut their own business models with it. The whole idea is to sell players for higher price, to sell movies for higher price and make everyone switch. Implementing this type of improvement that comes so close to the real HD will be counter productive from them even if Toshiba licensed it to them.

Blu-Ray player as expensive as it is + licensing this technology + cell processor = $$

Regular DVD player + cell processor = much less $$

That's all there is to it.

As I said, I will continue buying Blu-Ray as I am an audio/video enthusiast but regular folks will be PLENTY content with this DVD advancement. That's all. And if it doesn't come to Blu-Ray, you can bet your ass I'll be getting one of those because I want my existing DVDs to look as good as possible. If anything this technology simply ensures that DVD get another 5-10 years in life and makes a transition to digital downloads less painful.

Edited by Boz

Whether or not this goes into Blu-Ray player is very questionable. Can it, sure.. if they use cell processor, but Toshiba owns the production now and owns this technology, and something tells me they will not play really nice with BDA about this. The fact they simply refused to build Blu-Ray players says that quite clearly.

If Toshiba put this into their blu player (assuming that they build one because just coz they lost out on HD-DVD doesn't mean they will not try to get a piece of the HD hardware market) then that would be a great selling point over Sony or Samsung's blu players. I would also assume that they never built a blu player before because they were pushing HD-DVD players. Now that they stopped making HD-DVD players, why wouldn't they come out with a blu player?

Blu-Ray player as expensive as it is + licensing this technology + cell processor = $$$

Regular DVD player + cell processor = much less $$$

But that is the question. What is the price difference? It has to be sub-100 for it to work. If it is $150 or more than that will be a problem as you can get a upscaling dvd player for 50-90 at amazon right now.

If Toshiba put this into their blu player...

They said they will not make Blu-Ray players period. They will concentrate their efforts in getting the maximum out of DVD and improving technologies for digital downloads and on demand HD.

$150 dvd player is an ok price for a dvd player that gets ALL DVDs to look great. Profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player won't be $200 for at least another year or two, if it does I would be pretty amazed. And even at $200 price you would still have to buy $20-$30 movies. This technology allows people to get same old DVDs and new DVDs to look almost as good as HD and significantly better then upscaled DVDs.

Does it mean there's no place for Blu-Ray? Of course not, Blu-Ray will continue but if this effort lives up I just don't see Blu-Ray replacing DVD, simple as that. As I said I will continue buying Blu-Ray movies but I will get this player as well if no Blu-Ray player has it because I want to get maximum quality where I can.

A lot of people will see these DVD players and how they look and will be most likely.. hey this looks almost as good as Blu-Ray and it works on regular DVDs. And I'm glad, because the whole Blu-Ray needs to be the one and only format is completely ridiculous and this technology might actually prevent Sony from "forced DVD obsolence" which is their current poke in the eye.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone pick up I Am Legend on Bluray today? I'm going in abit. :D

Yeah, and I love that alternate ending. Nice quality Blu-Ray movie, AVC 28 Mbps on a dual layer disc.

Boz, are you seriously telling people that super upscaling is almost HD? It isn't anywhere near HD and you know it. The same color inconsistencies found on DVD versions of movies are still there while the palette is much richer on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. There is also the complete absence of hi-def sound.

Don't get me wrong, upscaling a DVD will look good. Compared to an actual HD source though.. it doesn't compare. Also, most people already have DVD players that can upscale to some extent or are fine with their standard def picture on their HDTV. People aren't going to go out and spend money ($50-$100?) on a player that isn't HD when Blu-Ray players are going to come down a good bit in a few months (since BD-Live capable and BD-Live players will be out at the $399-$499 price point, Profile 1.0 players will come down a good bit).

$150 dvd player is an ok price for a dvd player that gets ALL DVDs to look great. Profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player won't be $200 for at least another year or two, if it does I would be pretty amazed. And even at $200 price you would still have to buy $20-$30 movies.

Do these DVD players access the same features that HD-DVD/BD-Live players can do? Regardless, $150 for a standard definition player at this point in the game is ridiculous. The minute difference between an DVD upscaled on a a "super ultra deluxe upscaling" player or a BD/HD-DVD player would be indistinguishable.

Its also pretty funny that you, as a staunch supporter for HD-DVD, point out HDM costs to prevent people from switching when the disc prices were relatively the same. How quick you are to change.

Btw, you pick up I, Robot yet? Absolutely stunning.