• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[official] Next Generation HD Format General Discussion

ctebah    3,161
Oh well maybe its right, but does that then mean with HD-DVD you can't watch 60% of the content? :/

haha, that's a good one, true but funny as hell.

ctebah    3,161
Sonic Solutions? (NASDAQ: SNIC), the leader in digital media software, today announced that its Professional Products Group will focus its research and development resources on the creation of new applications for cutting-edge authoring of Blu-ray Disc titles that encompass the interactive and connected-content capabilities of BD-Live. The group will also increase resource allocation on developing its encoding and title creation applications that streamline the process of preparing video entertainment for digital distribution.In order to address these emerging market opportunities and optimize investment return, the Professional Products Group will conclude sales of its Scenarist? HD DVD authoring product line.b>

Source: EmediaLive

slowly, but surely more and more players in this high def war are becoming blu.

Boz    1,324
Source: EmediaLive

slowly, but surely more and more players in this high def war are becoming blu.

I like how you try to make it look like everyone is abandoning HD DVD when it's not really so. Who has abandoned HD DVD so far? Woolworths?! LOL oh wait, it's some Warner subsidiaries (I wonder why) EVEN Warner subsidiaries are not all in sync as BBC is STILL supporting HD DVD. So care to point out who really dropped HD DVD? Please provide official press releases and not some speculative blog posts. There's a LOT of new releases being planned and dated for HD DVD. They even got 2 more studios to publish exclusively in Italy. Indies HD DVD titles are being shown on Amazon now.

Scenarist abandoning HD DVD is most definitely a backroom deal. It makes absolutely no sense for a software company to do so. This is clearly Sony trying to hit to the backbone of authoring for HD DVD and it's really a shame that people have so little value that are willing to smear their company's reputation on account of few dollars or whatever they've been promised.

It doesn't matter.. they will be back but it will be too late. There are other solutions for HD DVD authoring and they still have to provide support and updates for their existing software.

It has been confirmed that Toshiba doesn't have only 1 TV ad for Superbowl, but 3!

ctebah    3,161
It makes absolutely no sense for a software company to do so.

that, again, is only your opinion.

This is clearly Sony trying to hit to the backbone of authoring for HD DVD and it's really a shame that people have so little value that are willing to smear their company's reputation on account of few dollars or whatever they've been promised.

Proof? Please provide official press releases and not some speculative blog posts.

kak    0
Scenarist abandoning HD DVD is most definitely a backroom deal. It makes absolutely no sense for a software company to do so. This is clearly Sony trying to hit to the backbone of authoring for HD DVD and it's really a shame that people have so little value that are willing to smear their company's reputation on account of few dollars or whatever they've been promised.

This is rich. A company can't decide what is best for them without the fanboys coming out and screaming payoff. Just like Warner. There is no proof, and this latest idea is outright ridiculous. Yeah, I bet the BDA payed off companies such as National Geographic and such because they are so big in the HD market!

It has been confirmed that Toshiba doesn't have only 1 TV ad for Superbowl, but 3!

So this will be the first time most of the world hears about HD-DVD since they have the most inept marketing strategy ever. Too little too late.

Xtreme $niper    51

I don't understand why people, when given the option between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, would honestly choose Blu-Ray. Putting recent movie studio decisions aside, just by looking at technical specs and the standardization of all HD-DVD players that have been released, wouldn't the tech community honestly choose HD-DVD?

I understand that now it makes sense to just pick a side and stick to it for the sake of finishing this war and moving on, but that doesn't explain why people were honestly choosing the inferior by design format from the start.

Now we have to wait it out for newer Blu-Ray players to come out with ethernet ports so we can be future proof, and anyone who bought an older player without one is screwed. Amazing decision guys!

+Audioboxer    2,876
I don't understand why people, when given the option between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, would honestly choose Blu-Ray. Putting recent movie studio decisions aside, just by looking at technical specs and the standardization of all HD-DVD players that have been released, wouldn't the tech community honestly choose HD-DVD?

I understand that now it makes sense to just pick a side and stick to it for the sake of finishing this war and moving on, but that doesn't explain why people were honestly choosing the inferior by design format from the start.

Now we have to wait it out for newer Blu-Ray players to come out with ethernet ports so we can be future proof, and anyone who bought an older player without one is screwed. Amazing decision guys!

People don't know about all that stuff, they BUY INTO MARKETING.

BASIC BUSINESS KNOWLEDGE. You market well = you sell well. I swear some of us could of marketed HD-DVD better than Toshiba have.

You walk into Currys/Dixons in the UK, buy your HDTV, see signs about HD content and what do you get told about/see... BLU RAY. Now how on earth are you suppose to know about profiling or even how on earth do you know something like HD-DVD even exists?

They lost out to hard hitting and viral marketing from Blu Ray and Sony. Go home on your horse in tears about "pay offs & dirty tactics" all you want, it's how you survive in the business world.

You won't take part in it, you fail. Money talks, and right now Blu Ray looks far more lucrative than HD-DVD. Hence studio slides and all the media ranting about the demise of HD-DVD.

Boz is not a media outlet, he is one person with one strong opinion. The media and the sad statements swarming around about HD-DVD do far worse than 1 person in Boz trying to save the HD-DVD name. When websites/news shows/papers/ect start reporting Blu Ray is "winning" you're facing a very tough uphill battle.

Take the ipod, outclassed by many other mp3 players with more features back in the day but it sold better, more people had it, their friends seen it, they wanted it, ect.

The PS3 is a strong marketing tool for Sony as it is marketed in every country and sells in every country, just like the PS2. That is why Sony plastered everything they could about Blu Ray and movies all over their PS3 ads. The same thing will happen to some extent that happened with the DVD drive in the PS2 - Only better thing this time is the PS3 is actually a good Blu Ray player, where as the PS2 was an entry level DVD option.

Edited by Audioboxer

NateB1    75

From what I've heard, HDi is incredibly easy to design with, much, much more so that BD-J. Even if there was no backroom deal, I'm sure Scenarist will make much more money selling their software for BD-J - no one wants to program at a low level for some menu functionality. People will much more likely buy software for something they can't afford to learn on their own.

I'm looking forward to seeing Toshiba's strategy. I sure hope it is a success

Regarding Sony, I think they are screwed either way - if Blu-Ray "wins", they will have to recuperate their 7 billion dollars in debt in order to satisfy their shareholders - selling $99 players won't generate any profit at all for quite a while, so either they will be forced to keep prices high to pay off that debt or sell the players for a loss, diving even deeper in debt. This is only the beginning - let's say Blu-Ray disc sales skyrocket in the millions, overwhelming their 2 replication factories. They will have to spend millions building more, thus losing even more money, and then subsidizing disc costs on top of that to keep the price down. If HD-DVD wins, Sony is screwed for obvious reasons - dumping 7 billion dollars in a failed format.

What is incredibly ironic about this is that Sony wanted to get into this battle because they thought they could make more profit on HD media than they could with SD media.

Coldgunner    12

where the hell has this $7 billion dollar figure come from?

abcdefg    0

Super.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Who has abandoned HD DVD so far? Woolworths?! LOL

Boz it really doesn't matter if it's small or large, and infact woolworths is fairly large high street shop.

News like this not good for HD-DVD, you CANNOT twist that to be positive in anyway. How long can you keep saying "doesn't matter, who cares, it's just "shop x", "website z".... 10 others still stock"

As I said, a prolonging war ****es off retailers, and eventually some of them will take things into their own hands and decide what to stock and what not to stock.

Blu Ray outsold HD-DVD 10 to 1 in woolworths over christmas, I think that let's you get a grasp of where the UK is leaning.

Woolworths has announced that it is to drop HD-DVD from its product mix in March – leaving Blu-Ray as the sole ‘next-gen’ DVD format in its stores.

The decision was made by Woolworths execs after Blu-Ray discs outsold HD-DVD by ten-to-one at the chain over Christmas.

Woolworths will continue to sell HD-DVD online, but a new Blu-Ray-only chart will now appear in 820 stores online.

The retailer started selling both HD-DVD formats in October.

“Sales figures clearly show that the market is moving towards one format of high definition DVD,” says Woolworths DVD buyer Steven McGunigel.

Source: http://n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=104779

Boz    1,324

NPD: Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet - Toshiba's marketing campaign proving effective

The NPD Group attempted to quiet the storm of online scuttlebutt and the BDA misleading interpretation of numbers previously with the following statement:

"As you may have seen, there are attempts being made to portray NPD's weekly sales tracking figures for next generation DVD as a trend. We want to remind you and make clear that it is not accurate to make long term assumptions based on one week of sales -- a cautionary point that NPD has made as well.

"The facts are that during the week that is being singled out, both Blu-ray disc players and software were being given away for free with the purchase of 1080p TVs. It is also important to note that the instant rebate promotions that had previously netted Toshiba's players' MSRPs to $199 and $249 had actually ended on Jan. 5th -- causing an increase in HD DVD's MSRP back to $299 and $399 during that same week. Since Toshiba's retail price move on Jan. 13th to $149 / $199 -- Toshiba is seeing very positive sales trends at retail. This reinforces the fact that price is a significant driver of sales.

"Toshiba's HD DVD players represent a significant value to the consumer and the marketing campaign that just began is proving effective."

Boz    1,324

3 Good Reasons To Stick With HD DVD

According to a poll of some 1300 Electronichouse.com readers, (see the following articles: Top 10 Reasons to Buy HD DVD, Top 10 Reasons to Buy Blu-ray), 41-percent currently own or plan to buy an HD DVD player, compared to 36-percent who own or plan to buy a Blu-ray player. Twelve percent said they were waiting for the dust to settle before making a decision, and 11-percent own or plan to buy both formats.

This is (albeit unscientific) proof there are some HD DVD supporters out there. Here are three compelling arguments to join their side.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/3_g...ith_hd_dvd/C174

Of course I think there's far more reasons then just 3 mentioned but I'm glad that at least SOME reputable sources are keeping their objectivity and are pointing out the pro-consumer values of HD DVD over Blu-Ray.

sn00pie    2

I'm surprised to see that the format war is still being dug out, I thought it was game over when Warner switched... :/

giantpotato    296
NPD: Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet - Toshiba's marketing campaign proving effective

The NPD Group attempted to quiet the storm of online scuttlebutt and the BDA misleading interpretation of numbers previously with the following statement:

It's quite obvious Toshiba offered the NPD Group a payoff in order to release that statement. I'm sick and tired of Toshiba's dirty marketing tactics. Very soon you'll see the numbers for Blu-Ray skyrocket. Just wait and see, it'll be exactly as I predicted.

Warning: The preceeding post is is no way to be considered serious.

Dazog    9
have you seen a fox blu ray? the simpsons for example uses avc (or vc-1, can't remember) and its absolutely perfect. the bd's I have that are mpeg2 have no loss in clarity compared to the others.

fox is in it for the copy protection, they never said otherwise, one major factor as to why they will never go red.

I guess you have super eyes, cause every single review of there MPEG2 encodes of catalog titles are garbage.

Depends what you mean by no loss in clarity against what others?

Can't really compare 1 movie against another.

Fox should re-release there shoddy MPEG2 releases like Sony did with Fifth Element.

But then again some may argue the first release of Sony's the Fifth Element has no loss in clarity also :rolleyes:

kak    0
3 Good Reasons To Stick With HD DVD

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/3_g...ith_hd_dvd/C174

Of course I think there's far more reasons then just 3 mentioned but I'm glad that at least SOME reputable sources are keeping their objectivity and are pointing out the pro-consumer values of HD DVD over Blu-Ray.

It would be awfully pro-consumer of Toshiba to close their HD-DVD department and go with what is OBVIOUSLY more popular. Whether its by sales or giveaways, the players are out there and software sales have consistently shown a BD advantage. If HD-DVD fails, its awfully anti-consumer of Toshiba to push all of these players out the door.

ctebah    3,161
Regarding Sony, I think they are screwed either way - if Blu-Ray "wins", they will have to recuperate their 7 billion dollars in debt in order to satisfy their shareholders - selling $99 players won't generate any profit at all for quite a while, so either they will be forced to keep prices high to pay off that debt or sell the players for a loss, diving even deeper in debt. This is only the beginning - let's say Blu-Ray disc sales skyrocket in the millions, overwhelming their 2 replication factories. They will have to spend millions building more, thus losing even more money, and then subsidizing disc costs on top of that to keep the price down. If HD-DVD wins, Sony is screwed for obvious reasons - dumping 7 billion dollars in a failed format.

I have no idea how you can spin this so that if sony wins they will still loose. their blu-ray disk sales will not only go up in the HD media, but in the gaming media as well, as sales of ps3's go up, thus the ammount of games sold goes up too. you really think that they won't be prepared for that? and if they have to build more factories, they will somehow loose more money too?

last time I checked, sony's forecast for the quarter was on track, whereas toshiba had lower their forecast earnings for the quarter. and investors are starting to ask questions as to how much money toshiba is going to loose by fighting a loosing battle.

Boz    1,324
last time I checked, sony's forecast for the quarter was on track, whereas toshiba had lower their forecast earnings for the quarter. and investors are starting to ask questions as to how much money toshiba is going to loose by fighting a loosing battle.

You may want to ask Sony investors that exact same question. Toshiba so far has lost very little if anything, they are just announcing now some losses as they will need to go after Blu-Ray more aggresively. On the other hand this is the 2nd year Sony has been losing hundreds of millions per quarter. The increase in profits over last year is contributed to their TV division while Blu-Ray and PS3 division cost the company incredible amounts of money with no real return in sight.

ctebah    3,161
The increase in profits over last year is contributed to their TV division while Blu-Ray and PS3 division cost the company incredible amounts of money with no real return in sight.

it was more than just their TV division. also their ps3 production costs have been cut in half, so much for no real return in sight ;)

+StevoFC    21
it was more than just their TV division. also their ps3 production costs have been cut in half, so much for no real return in sight ;)

But the way Sony works they will just come out with another revision to the ps3 that will end up costing them more money again. And just because it costs them half to make doesn't mean they will make a profit from it anytime soon.

+Audioboxer    2,876
But the way Sony works they will just come out with another revision to the ps3 that will end up costing them more money again. And just because it costs them half to make doesn't mean they will make a profit from it anytime soon.

They make a profit on the unit in Europe.

I doubt that will overall cancel out development costs, but im just saying...

For the length of time consoles sell for, making losses to start with is just the way it goes - The PS2 made losses, but it's still selling 7-8 years later and obviously has been making profits for a while.

Losses for say 1-2 years, profits for 3-4-5-6-7-8+ years? I don't have a degree in finance, but it's easy to tell that overall makes a profitable turnover.

Nintendo the obvious stand out, who made a profit from the get go, but the Wii isn't going to last as long as either the 360 or PS3 in the HD generation that is about to hit us - (bit of "IMO" there, but a bit of logic attached to that opinion as well)

The PS3 could become a flagship purchase for HD, especially in Europe where Blu Ray is dominant and the PS3 is a great option instead of a standalone.

Over here we are still suck with probably 80% SDTV, 20% HDTV - Might even be lower.... but as 2010/2011 approach and the change to digital in the UK, more people will be buying HDTVs - Yes it's not necessary, you can have a digital to analogue convertor for your TV, but I bet by 2010/2011 the figures will be more in favour of 50/50 or in HDTVs favour, as shops only start to sell HDTVs (right now they only sell HD ready tv's anyway) and prices for them come down.

You don't need to spend hundreds, my mate paid about ?300 for a 32" TV (yeah it's a supermarket brand, but he doesn't care) and watches HD movies on it.

Edited by Audioboxer

draklin    465
You may want to ask Sony investors that exact same question. Toshiba so far has lost very little if anything, they are just announcing now some losses as they will need to go after Blu-Ray more aggresively. On the other hand this is the 2nd year Sony has been losing hundreds of millions per quarter. The increase in profits over last year is contributed to their TV division while Blu-Ray and PS3 division cost the company incredible amounts of money with no real return in sight.

So they are losing millions and yet they turn a profit? Why is that? Oh yeah, it is because they are a huge diversified company that can absorb a lose in one department. Why would they lose money? So they can make money. The longer the PS3 and Blu Ray are around, the more potential for profits they will have. Simple business rule, "It takes money to make money". When Sony wins the format war, then they will have no problem making a profit. You want a non-Sony example because everyone seems to hate them so much? Ok, how much money was Microsoft losing on the original Xbox? The could cover the loses with the profits from other ventures with the knowledge that they can make a profit on the Xbox later.

ctebah    3,161

the numbers are out and sony's gaming divisons isn't loosing them money any more as some people speculate.

After bleeding red for months, Sony's games division finally turned a profit last quarter. Sony sold 4.9 million PS3s last quarter after slashing console prices, boosting game titles, and cutting production costs internally. Of course, we're sure Wii shortages aren't hurting Sony's bottom line either. Sony did lower its annual sales goal of PS3s from 11 million to 9.5 million (citing a slow start) while increasing PSP projections to 13 million from 10 million as originally expected. Sony's fiscal year ends in March. Overall, Sony's profits rose 25% for the quarter. Welcome back to black Sony, it's been a long time coming.

Surround Records Announces Dual-Format Format

Indie distributor Surround Records has announced it will begin rolling out Blu-ray editions of its previously-issued HD DVD titles this Spring.

The previously HD DVD-exclusive label has issued a half a dozen multichannel audio releases since making its high-def debut this past summer with 'Uncommon Bach.' It now says it will expand its high-def disc support to include Blu-ray in addition to HD DVD.

Though multichannel audio releases (sans any significant video material) are fairly common on standard-def DVD, Surround Records is currently the only label actively releasing titles on the two next-gen disc formats.

As press time there was no word on which of Surround's titles would be first to hit Blu-ray, nor had an exact timeframe for the Blu-ray releases been set.

well another minor company switching to support blu-ray as well as hd-dvd. like i said before, slowly but surely.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Blu-Ray Leads HD-DVD 82:18

For the third straight week, blu-ray leads hd-dvd in sales according to Home Media Magazine. The ratio for last week are on page 1 and are as follows:

BD: HD-DVD

WEEK 82:18

Year To Date 77:23

Since Inception 64:36

All top ten high def selling titles were blu ray with SAW IV leading in all. This info is on page 8.

1. Saw IV 100.00

2. The Game Plan 70.83

3. 3:10 to Yuma 48.21

4. PotC At World's End 36.35

5. Good Luck Chuck 35.58

6. 300 34.51

7. Planet Earth 32.49

8. Ratatouille 26.03

9. War 23.05

10. Superbad 22.63

Source: http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-106715.aspx