Thinking about getting a PS3..

Basically I want it for Little Big Planet.

I don't have an HD tv.. is that gonna really make the graphics suck?

I have a 24" LCD though. Not sure if this will work at 1080p or whatever the ps3 can support.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/rev...cMaster-244T/p1

Is there downloadable demos for the system? Do I need a big hard disk? I'm in Canada, does that restrict me from any specific content? anything I should know?

Thanks for the help.

use your 24" lcd, i assume its 1920x1080, thus it can do 1080p, prob 720p as well.

There are downloadable demos. You don't need a big hdd, unless you want to keep all the demos and store a huge video library on it. Dunno about content being restricted in canada, i know some regions get updates a little slower.

I have a PS3 and I don't have a HDTV either and yes it does make the graphics suck (running in SD). However, I run it though my 24" LCD (widescreen) over HDMI (HDMI to DVI cable) running at 1080p and it looks amazing :) Yes there are downloadable demos/content available through the PlayStation Store, as to what content you can get I don't know.

The PS3 supports up to 1080p. It actually supports every resolution possible AFAIK (for TVs) Games right now prefer to use 720p for I don't know which reason (maybe because the Xbox is 720p, maybe because it lags, I don't know and it bugs me).

Yes, there are demos. They go from around 600MB to 1.4GB, and they're all free. In Canada, you won't get the Jap demos and downloadable content, so no gran turismo yet. :(

Your graphics won't suck if you have good wires between your TV and your PS3. I remember having the 2 audio cables (Red and white) and the video cable (yellow) with my old TV, the graphics were fine. With my brand new Plasma TV, they totally blew, as if every picture was JPEG compressed (and I think they are). When I changed to HDMI, it was perfect.

Just a quick note, for the price point of the PS3 right now, and for the fact that Blu-ray is kind of winning the debate since this week, it's a good idea to buy one I guess. It's also the console that had the worse start between the 3 I believe, but its future is bright, trust me. Developers and infographers will be happy to have less limits when developing on PS3 hardware...

No, not having an HDTV will not affect you.

I've used my PS3 at my friends place a few time and all he has is a 24" CRT and we used composite cables. Graphics and color look the same, it's just the image fidelity that will not look at good. But this just like watching any TV show in HD or not - not a big difference IMO. So depite what Xerxes says... IT DOES NOT MAKE THE GRAPHICS SUCK. As a personal opinion though, a widescreen display (HD or not) makes a HUGE difference when playing games :yes:

Large harddrive... not really unless you plan to save movies/music/pictures to it. I've had a 60gb model since August 2007 and I download just about every demo on the PSN, have about 30 songs and 15 video files (plus game saves) and I still have about 20gb free. Most of the time, I simply stream what I want from my PC - I feel like it's the best way to go.

And yes, PSN (PlayStation Network) has a TON of free demos to download - as well as cheap (~$10 USD) 'arcade'?games?(pretty?fun?I?must?say).?I?doubt?you?will?be?let?down.

use your 24" lcd, i assume its 1920x1080, thus it can do 1080p, prob 720p as well.

There are downloadable demos. You don't need a big hdd, unless you want to keep all the demos and store a huge video library on it. Dunno about content being restricted in canada, i know some regions get updates a little slower.

1920x1080 is NOT 1080p unless it's displaying the proper frame rate. My LCD does 1920x1080 but is 1080i not p

60Hz = progresive, while 30 = interlaced (if I recall correctlly).

No, not having an HDTV will not affect you.

I've used my PS3 at my friends place a few time and all he has is a 24" CRT and we used composite cables. Graphics and color look the same, it's just the image fidelity that will not look at good. But this just like watching any TV show in HD or not - not a big difference IMO. So depite what Xerxes says... IT DOES NOT MAKE THE GRAPHICS SUCK. As a personal opinion though, a widescreen display (HD or not) makes a HUGE difference when playing games :yes:

Large harddrive... not really unless you plan to save movies/music/pictures to it. I've had a 60gb model since August 2007 and I download just about every demo on the PSN, have about 30 songs and 15 video files (plus game saves) and I still have about 20gb free. Most of the time, I simply stream what I want from my PC - I feel like it's the best way to go.

And yes, PSN (PlayStation Network) has a TON of free demos to download - as well as cheap (~$10 USD) 'arcade' games (pretty fun I must say). I doubt you will be let down.

1920x1080 is NOT 1080p unless it's displaying the proper frame rate. My LCD does 1920x1080 but is 1080i not p

60Hz = progresive, while 30 = interlaced (if I recall correctlly).

Ok, well perhaps I was a little too general :p I'll rephrase what I said...if you never played it in HD, running in SD will be more then fine (I played on my 360 in SD for over a year before going HD and it was fine) however, I found personally, once you played it in HD it is hard to go back to SD, which is why I said it does suck in SD :p and your dead right about the Widescreen thing.

I never gave a thought to the refresh rate when blabbing I was running it at 1080p :laugh: , Guess I'm actually playing on 1080i then? (my monitor runs at 59Hz) it still looks awesome though :)

I have a packard bell 17", and it supports a resolution of 1280x768 and if i plug my PS3 into it using RGB, it looks really bad, when i say really bad, i mean really bad :p

Is this because it's a Packard bell or is there a little hack to make it work better?

two things that haven't been mentioned:

1. you can upgrade the hard drive anytime you want. so if the hard drive in the system is not enough for you, you can always get a bigger one.

2. you can make accounts for other regions, so you will have access to any demos that are available in a region that's different from yours.

Basically I want it for Little Big Planet.

I don't have an HD tv.. is that gonna really make the graphics suck?

I have a 24" LCD though. Not sure if this will work at 1080p or whatever the ps3 can support.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/rev...cMaster-244T/p1

Is there downloadable demos for the system? Do I need a big hard disk? I'm in Canada, does that restrict me from any specific content? anything I should know?

Thanks for the help.

FTW! :drool:

Just to warn you though, LBP isn't expected till September, with an open beta rumoured to be enroled around spring/summer!

FTW! :drool:

Just to warn you though, LBP isn't expected till September, with an open beta rumoured to be enroled around spring/summer!

hmm that I wasn't really aware of. Maybe it is better to wait and see if the PS3 gets bundled with LBP. I'm almost 100% sure it would be. All the casual players and people who never considered a PS3 will love LBP.

(maybe because the Xbox is 720p, maybe because it lags, I don't know and it bugs me).

:blink:

It's actually because 720p seems to the sweet spot for the performance vs. image quality. Running a game at 1080p is alot more taxing for the console so graphical quality has to be reduced to keep it at a decent framerate.

hmm that I wasn't really aware of. Maybe it is better to wait and see if the PS3 gets bundled with LBP. I'm almost 100% sure it would be. All the casual players and people who never considered a PS3 will love LBP.

I think LBP is a PSN game only, so it wouldn't be bundled....unless it's in the same situation as Warhawk.

EDIT: Seems it might be same as Warhawk actually

6sqarly.gif

Edited by $n!pR

Alright, I'm gonna sound like a right idiot asking this...but what is this Little Big Planet anyway? and what is so special about it? I've heard of it, just never really know what it was.