Whats the big deal with MacBook Air?

Saying it doesn't have a building dvd/cd drive, not enough USB ports is missing the point. The whole point of it is for it to be wireless. To be wireless in all aspects - that's the gimmick of the MacBook Air.

Saying it doesn't have a building dvd/cd drive, not enough USB ports is missing the point. The whole point of it is for it to be wireless. To be wireless in all aspects - that's the gimmick of the MacBook Air.

And thus it's pushing us in the right direction.

In the comments, someone asked how much space was left, and he said roughly 2GB. If I remember correctly, that's about how much the original OS install took up.

Edit: And I agree about it being tempting. I think I might get one for my brother :)

I wonder if it was one of the higher spec eeePC with with the bigger SSD drive,

Looking on a UK online retailer the 2GB one is ?189.96

I think you need atleast the 4GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133791

Nice emergency machine to keep in the bag especially with a few GB of SSD cards to slot in.

I don't think I'd load OSX onto it thou, probs keep it the standard Linux.

This was intersting

Ugly as *****

but technically impressive in that it has a 80GB hard drive especially at such a cheap price and is touch screen.

The Air should have gone that little bit further

In the comments, someone asked how much space was left, and he said roughly 2GB. If I remember correctly, that's about how much the original OS install took up.

Edit: And I agree about it being tempting. I think I might get one for my brother :)

I wonder if it was one of the higher spec eeePC with with the bigger SSD drive,

Looking on a UK online retailer the 2GB one is ?189.96

I think you need atleast the 4GB

Nice emergency machine to keep in the bag especially with a few GB of SSD cards to slot in.

I don't think I'd load OSX onto it thou, probs keep it the standard Linux.

This was intersting

Ugly as *****

but technically impressive in that it has a 80GB hard drive especially at such a cheap price and is touch screen.

The Air should have gone that little bit further

Personally I think its a good idea, so I ordered one.

I got sick of lugging my MacBook Pro around so I gave it to my dad. I was looking to buy a MacBook but when this came along I was sold.

I have a 24" Intel iMac at home and a PowerMac at work. This is a great idea to cover the part where I cant sit in front of a desktop. I use laptops mostly when im traveling, on a train, in a hotel etc.. Or on the couch playing poker.

So this is great, dont need a DVD drive, dont need to network by ethernet, got a bluetooth mouse. Can charge ipod over usb and listen to music from it. Wasnt planning on loading my iTunes library on it, got it on 2 computers already. Can run OSX and all the apps I use on it. Shame about the battery but I understand the size constraints. Most of all though I want a full powered(ish), light as possible laptop which isnt compromised too much, especially in screen size.

If you want a top of the range, fully featured and spec'd laptop get a MacBookPro.

If you want something a little smaller and cheeper get a MacBook.

If you want to save as much space and weight as possible get a MacBook Air.

Something for everyone.

The one USB port would screw me up. I have all my music on an external Hard Drive (USB powered) so...

With only one USB port its a bit hard not only to power the hard drive, but where do I put my Ipod connection?

:blink:

You're talking about adding external hard drives so you'll probably be working on this at home when doing so. If you really want the Macbook Air for when you're on the road (and the only thing you might put in is a mouse or USB stick) then you can get a separately powered USB hub. You can then have 4 USB sockets without draining power from your Macbook Air.

If you don't really need the thinness I suggest you get a normal Macbook or a Macbook Pro, at least you've got 2 USB ports on the first one.

@ 1759:

The EEE(k!) PC doesn't run OS X.

That's kinda part of the point about getting a Mac, lol.

LARGE FONT CATCHES YOUR ATTENTION

But seriously, the EEE is also far more functional than the Air at a fraction of the cost.

LARGE FONT CATCHES YOUR ATTENTION

But seriously, the EEE is also far more functional than the Air at a fraction of the cost.

. . . . and again, doesn't run OS X (notwithstanding inconvenient hacks.)

Maybe it's just me, but if my ultra-functional notebook is running something other than OS X, there is no reason to have that notebook in the first place. Unless I plan on just running Windows on it, which is pretty funny and wholly unlikely.

Now, if you're saying that you'd rather have the extra functionality of an EEE even if it means running a non-mac OS, then your comment certainly holds.

. . . . and again, doesn't run OS X (notwithstanding inconvenient hacks.)

Maybe it's just me, but if my ultra-functional notebook is running something other than OS X, there is no reason to have that notebook in the first place. Unless I plan on just running Windows on it, which is pretty funny and wholly unlikely.

Now, if you're saying that you'd rather have the extra functionality of an EEE even if it means running a non-mac OS, then your comment certainly holds.

But an operating system is entirely user preference, saying that the EEE is inferior in general because it can't easily run OS X doesn't make much sense. I think the EEE is a great example of what a sub-notebook could be, and I think a lot of people were hoping that the MacBook Air would be a bit more like that in design.

But an operating system is entirely user preference, saying that the EEE is inferior in general because it can't easily run OS X doesn't make much sense.

A notebook computer without an operating system is just an expensive book end, paper-weight, or coaster. If somebody likes using OS X?or has software that only works on that OS as an itegral part of their workflow?then a non-mac quickly becomes an inferior solution. Likewise if you relied on Pro/Engineer, Solid Works, Final Cut, or Crysis to make a living then a MacBook and Eee PC both become non-options.

The point of any ultra portable laptop is to get recent technology into a very small space. At this I say the Macbook Air does well. If you compare it to other ultra portable laptops it's better at some things and worse at others.

The Macbook Air is not for everyone. I'd even say 95% of people wanting to get a Mac laptop should keep looking at the Macbook and Macbook Pro. The Air is for a select market and thats for those who like to travel light weight, without a lot of add-ons.

Comparing the Macbook Air to the EEE PC? besides the wonderful Solid State Disc in the EEE PC it's much slower and older. I never considered any Celeron to be fast and the EEE PC's Celeron runs at 630MHz (It's a 900MHz model but it's clocked at 630MHz). Not to mention there is a fair bit of viewing difference in a 7" screen and a 13.3" screen. I think the EEE PC is great, I've even showed it to a few people I know looking at cheaper laptop solutions.

IMO the Macbook Air is a ultra portable laptop, it has a small market of people that will be looking at it, and thats the people looking to buy a ultra portable mac. The EEE PC is really a sub-notebook with it's extremely small size, the EEE PC and Macbook Air are not in the same market.

Edited by cloudstrife13

I'm just wondering why Apple decided to enter this very limited line of products. I've always thought they wanted mass appeal to justify for it's smaller market share.

I'm just wondering why Apple decided to enter this very limited line of products. I've always thought they wanted mass appeal to justify for it's smaller market share.

Let's give it a year, then look at the sales figures.

It's a waste of money IMO - I did a price quote for a client that wanted one, with the USB ethernet adapter, superdrive, APP, base model, EDU discount, but I also did a price quote on a similar MB (with APP and EDU discount).

Came out to about $500 cheaper for the MB, even with including the overcharge of upgrading the RAM to 2GB through Apple.

The client is still going to purchase the MBA, but I see little advantage with it over the MB, other than weight (a whole 2 pounds, and slightly thinner).

Let's give it a year, then look at the sales figures.

I'm honestly not expecting much. Of course the Air will sell, but I think sales will be stale soon after, just like the G4 Cube and Apple TV.

... just like ... Apple TV.

Apple TV now released Take 2 and trust me, those sale figures will increase. I'm expecting the same kind of behaviour with the Macbook Air. The first one will sell but not much, then they will release a take 2 and it will start selling as sweet buttercakes.

for me the air is not small enough. sure its thin but its too wide and long. the body should be the width of the keyboard and the screen shouldnt have such a big bezel around it. i would find the shape of the notebook too weird in my bag, i'd stick to a toshiba portege thanks.

I was really considering getting on of these but I didn't even think about it not having an optical drive. $1800? I could never live with myself, even if I can remotely use an external drive.

There's something people tend to misunderstand. Yes, the air is an incredible piece of engineering and industrial design. It looks great, feels great so on and so forth. The problem with it is that the design doesn't serve the consumers in this case but it rather serves the product. And only the product. I mean I wonder how the Apple ID team developed this consept. As far as I can tell they agreed on making a "very thin laptop". And every other aspect of the design served that goal. People don't want very thin laptops. People want portable laptops. And portability != thinness. If you target thinness instead of portability you'd happily give away a much needed second usb port. If you target thinness instead of portability you'll put in a non-user replacable battery. I hope you see my point here, Apple has no interest whatsoever about what its target customers need (at least in this case) but they just want to gather attention by making something extraordinary. I mean how the hell can a laptop without a replacable battery be touted as an ultra protable laptop?

Apple has no interest whatsoever about what its target customers need (at least in this case)

Probably the only tech company that pays attention to that very thing.

If you want to have "this case" as an exception, you can have it.

The Air is clearly not for you. Then again, you're not Apple's target customer.

To all you guys in favor of the MacBook Air......Get a life......you know most of you would never get one ( I said "Most", "Not” ALL)....and you should be aware that no one likes the word "LIMITED!

All you can do with it is surf the internet (if there is a wireless hotspot) and use "Limited" Programs. The performance bottle neck is the hard drive. The functionality bottle neck is the single USB, non-changeable battery, and no Ethernet port. Someone said Video editing....Come on please....with that slow HDD, it will take forever to load intense programs and videos. Don't fool the rest of us with that Mac Pride. FYI, I use both Mac and PC and I happen to like both equally (Just not the Air), so don't think I'm taking sides here. If I were Apple, I would have rather made a "MacBook Touch”. Now that definitely would sell more.

Edited by jesseinsf