1080p upgrade

I currently own an Olevia LT42HVi TV. As you may imagine by the title of the topic, it does up to 1080i.

This TV is a little under a year (got it Jan/Feb 2007), and with in the past year I purchased a PS3 and one of my room mates got a xbox 360. So now we actually have devices that can do 1080p. We don't watch too much TV with it, but it is heavly used for gaming.

So do you guys think it's worth upgrading to a TV that can do 1080p? Is the difference between prograsive and interlaced noticible? If I did purchase the 1080p set, I would sell my current one. And if I have to sell... I would rather do it sooner rather than later before the value goes down too much.

Anyways, opinions and comments are all welcome :yes:

thanks

Worth it? No.

Instead of shopping for a set that will have to be bigger to appreciate 1080p resolution, why don't you instead shop for a model that does displays 720p/1080i better (read: higher quality) !

Olevia isn't bad though they are bargain ware. My opinion is to shop for name brand devices in the size and price you want, which would make a bigger impact in overall image presentation. If your can afford to go higher up the screen size scale, not only will the benefits of 1080p become more visible, but also the dent in your wallet.

I currently own an Olevia LT42HVi TV. As you may imagine by the title of the topic, it does up to 1080i.

This TV is a little under a year (got it Jan/Feb 2007), and with in the past year I purchased a PS3 and one of my room mates got a xbox 360. So now we actually have devices that can do 1080p. We don't watch too much TV with it, but it is heavly used for gaming.

So do you guys think it's worth upgrading to a TV that can do 1080p? Is the difference between prograsive and interlaced noticible? If I did purchase the 1080p set, I would sell my current one. And if I have to sell... I would rather do it sooner rather than later before the value goes down too much.

Anyways, opinions and comments are all welcome :yes:

thanks

Your Olevia HDTV has a native resolution of 1366 x 768 for 1080i, 1080p uses 1920x1080.

**EDIT**

Seeing that your a gamer, you might want to take a look at this: http://gear.ign.com/articles/712/712352p1.html

Edited by BlackShadow

thanks for the replys guys

if I was to get a higher end TV, what size would be recomended to actually take advantage of 1080p? +50"?

I was looking a at either Samsung or Sony, any opinions about these?

oh, and BlackShadow, thanks for the link but I read a lot about that issue before I got my current TV. I would have been ****ED if after dumping so much on a TV it lagged.

Worth it? No.

Instead of shopping for a set that will have to be bigger to appreciate 1080p resolution, why don't you instead shop for a model that does displays 720p/1080i better (read: higher quality) !

Olevia isn't bad though they are bargain ware. My opinion is to shop for name brand devices in the size and price you want, which would make a bigger impact in overall image presentation. If your can afford to go higher up the screen size scale, not only will the benefits of 1080p become more visible, but also the dent in your wallet.

Wow, "bargain ware," do you actually own an Olevia before posting such garbage?

My Olevia actually outputs comparable picture quality to the Sony Bravia, which I also own. I display a wallpaper on both to calibrate colors and couldn't even tell the difference. Color reproductions on both Olevia and Sony are actually the best on the market right now. Some Sharp models are also pretty good.

Don't even bother upgrading yet. It's really not worth it. Barely any ps3 games are over 720p right now anyways.
95% of PS3 games are only 720p atm, when they start becoming 1080p thats when u should invest, who knows, may be alot cheaper then

good point, I didn't think about that.

I'll be sticking with me Olevia for the time being :p

thanks guys

Before you get your knickers all tied up in knots why don't you expand your horizons before calling someones post "garbage".

For the record grasshopper, bargain ware does not imply garbage or anything less than. It means exactly what it says, read: a bargain!

My Olevia actually outputs comparable picture quality to the Sony Bravia, which I also own. I display a wallpaper on both to calibrate colors and couldn't even tell the difference. Color reproductions on both Olevia and Sony are actually the best on the market right now. Some Sharp models are also pretty good.

Just because it displays a static image well doesn't mean it's a good TV. And Sharp is better than a lot of other makers when it comes to LCD.