We don't NEED the Macbook air Apple!

Thanks for clearly that up. I was going about to say. There's no way the outside temp could be that hot, no one could use the notebook in there lap ever. It would burn very important items! :omg:

They still slice and dice [literally] and burn your skin...SOURCE

You know, actually I was debating writing a blog entry about this very same thing this morning - i'm glad its not just me who feels this way!

Let me make this clear - I love most things about Apple, and "the point" has never been a reason to justify hardware purchases if i've liked them. But I genuinely DON'T see the point! Skimp on features and power just to shave 67% off the weight. A nice saving but was the 5lbs MacBook really THAT heavy?!

A friend of mine has a MacBook and has absolutely no issues with heat.

I see...When did he get his?

You know, actually I was debating writing a blog entry about this very same thing this morning - i'm glad its not just me who feels this way!

Let me make this clear - I love most things about Apple, and "the point" has never been a reason to justify hardware purchases if i've liked them. But I genuinely DON'T see the point! Skimp on features and power just to shave 67% off the weight. A nice saving but was the 5lbs MacBook really THAT heavy?!

I cannot agree more with you bro :D

A nice saving but was the 5lbs MacBook really THAT heavy?!
I've never really understood the point of the subnotebook market, but it is here and people will buy. The company I work for, every time Dell comes out with a lighter notebook, we get a ton of executive staff calling us wanting it. I don't understand why they want a 3lbs notebook over a 5lbs notebook, but they do.

I bought a MacBook Air because I love the design. The only issue I have with it is the fact that it doesn't have a 3G or WiMAX chip built in, but other than that, I'm cool with it.

I see...When did he get his?

He got it for Christmas.

I've never really understood the point of the subnotebook market, but it is here and people will buy. The company I work for, every time Dell comes out with a lighter notebook, we get a ton of executive staff calling us wanting it. I don't understand why they want a 3lbs notebook over a 5lbs notebook, but they do.

I bought a MacBook Air because I love the design. The only issue I have with it is the fact that it doesn't have a 3G or WiMAX chip built in, but other than that, I'm cool with it.

He got it for Christmas.

What?? You got the Air? Okay,nice. :)

Hell man the XPS is awesome!

When did you get yours?

I like Mac OS X too...Damn Apple, Why couldn't you "port" it to a PC? :crazy:

I have had it about 8 months or so. It was top spec then with 3GB of ram etc.

Any yes it does get hot on my lap. I don't care because it's keeping the level of sperm down at the moment, which aint such a bad thing :) :)

What?? You got the Air? Okay,nice. :)

Sure did... hasn't come in yet, won't ship for another two weeks :( But everyone already knows that Apple overprices everything, so anyone looking to get a Mac should already know this going in.

This will be my third Mac (two iMacs (G5, Intel), and now my first MacBook).

My Macbook (Original 1st gen) gives me absolutely none of the problems you listed. If the CPU is running at 100%, of course the fans are going to speed up, there's no other solution to that.

My Macbook (Original 1st gen) gives me absolutely none of the problems you listed. If the CPU is running at 100%, of course the fans are going to speed up, there's no other solution to that.

Serious? Okay....*Dumbfounded* Lucky you I guess ;)

Test machine! Is that really hard to understand guys?

Didn't quite understand....

Im wondering who apples target market is with this though? Its a nice small laptop but it surly cant be for road warriors without a removable battery....5 hours is nice, but what happens when you need 8 hours becuase your out of the office all day?

Let's state it differentely: Watch the Macbook Air grow in time and you'll be surprised. Low specifications give it room to improve. The Macbook Air will be sold, even if it's specs are low. Once the sales go down, new specs will arise and the sales will increase again. It's all marketing strategy. I'm fully with Sanctified on this one.

It has nothing to do with that. Ultra portable laptops are just always lower spec. That's all there is to it. You are paying for the size, not an extreme performance laptop.

That's what I stated before in a different topic. Dell Latitude D420 of mine was more expensive and had lower specs. However, the Macbook Air will increase in performance once they get the production costs down or something else (market, demand, ...).

This is only my opinion and I could totally wrong but it'd surprise me if they didn't increase the specs as time grows.

Let me elaborate:

Every company always release a test product in order to probe the market and to experiment with certain technologies in order to have a massive "beta test". Companies then analyze the results of the test after some time and start to make improvements, this is what we commonly call "revisions". This its one of the many ways technology advances.

In this case it would be the custom processor (The main reason of why the base model its that expensive) and how they will equilibrate size with performance. That is why I think this is a test machine.

It has nothing to do with that. Ultra portable laptops are just always lower spec. That's all there is to it. You are paying for the size, not an extreme performance laptop.

I would generally agree with you if not for the case that the Air its actually carrying a new processor model, these changes always represent an initial test where the early adopters are screwed. Intel will lower the costs and evolve the new processor and gradually, with help of the industry, the SSD drives will also cost less, thats where this laptop will suffer some revisions and one of two things will happen:

a) A more affordable Air

or

b) An ultraportable that totally justifies the price tag

Edit: Another thing I forgot, the USB port in the Air is not that common too. Its an ultrapowered USB port.

I would generally agree with you if not for the case that the Air its actually carrying a new processor model, these changes always represent an initial test where the early adopters are screwed. Intel will lower the costs and evolve the new processor and gradually, with help of the industry, the SSD drives will also cost less, thats where this laptop will suffer some revisions and one of two things will happen:

a) A more affordable Air

or

b) An ultraportable that totally justifies the price tag

Edit: Another thing I forgot, the USB port in the Air is not that common too. Its an ultrapowered USB port.

I wouldn't expect the price to drop much, maybe $300 max, if at all.

The way most Apple products work is they upgrade specs and very rarely change prices. I think this "ultra portable" will remain in the same general price point regardless of whether or not it's the first hardware revision or the 3rd. It's basically a never ending loop. HDD prices go down until a new model comes out that in most cases lowers specs such as storage space but improves speed and battery usage. New processors are released then as newer ones come out they are replaced with faster chips that are basically the same price.

You have to remember that Apple hardware is very rarely updated compared to other computer companies. When they release updates they are worth it, but 6 months later you can still only buy the same spec machine as a half year earlier and at the same price. Their pricing strategies make no sense.

Apple products are unique but their entire business model has some major flaws. They totally rely on the looks of the machines instead of what actually matters, the hardware inside. You can't even replace the battery yourself with this thing.

That says Buy - recently updated.

Damn, looked at the Macbook Pro. Shoot me. :(

I wouldn't expect the price to drop much, maybe $300 max, if at all.

A price drop of $ 300 wouldn't be a bad start. I'm sure more people will like the Macbook Air at $ 1,500 instead of $ 1,800. It would also bring down the comparison made by Neobond with the Sony ultraportable laptop.

The way most Apple products work is they upgrade specs and very rarely change prices. I think this "ultra portable" will remain in the same general price point regardless of whether or not it's the first hardware revision or the 3rd. It's basically a never ending loop. HDD prices go down until a new model comes out that in most cases lowers specs such as storage space but improves speed and battery usage. New processors are released then as newer ones come out they are replaced with faster chips that are basically the same price.

Down here the Macbook, iPod and iMac all dropped in price after a while making all devices accessible for the bigger public. The price drop wasn't that insane but enough to make the sales go up and see more people buy Apple.

You have to remember that Apple hardware is very rarely updated compared to other computer companies. When they release updates they are worth it, but 6 months later you can still only buy the same spec machine as a half year earlier and at the same price. Their pricing strategies make no sense.

Is it? The Macbook 2,0Ghz version isn't for sale anymore. You now have the 2,2Ghz and the 2,4Ghz version down here. The update rate Apple uses isn't as fast as other companies but they tend to update it when necessary I find. That way it doesn't make your computer look "old". I remember when you used to buy a PC, the moment you bought it there were better specs available.

As for the Macbook Air, updates are welcome there but I think the unclear target goal of this line is confusing us all. Let's see what the sales in the first months bring.

Apple products are unique but their entire business model has some major flaws. They totally rely on the looks of the machines instead of what actually matters, the hardware inside. You can't even replace the battery yourself with this thing.

Looks, social status, ... are an important factor in sales but you can't say they "cut back" on hardware. Unless you only look at the Macbook Air of course. The normal Macbook/Macbook Pro line at full specifications is a really highend portable in my opinion ... but, as you clearly stated, you do pay for it.

Edited by Couch Potato

None of it is necessary.

But that isn't the point.

Actually, thinness is necessary - the more you can fit into a thinner form factor, the better.

And Apple is necessary, since the tech industry needs a leader to follow.

None of it is necessary.

But that isn't the point.

Actually, thinness is necessary - the more you can fit into a thinner form factor, the better.

And Apple is necessary, since the tech industry needs a leader to follow.

Except apparently, you can't fit a lot into a thin form factor. There's no Ethernet, no optical drive, no FireWire, no user serviceable parts, no standard DVI connector, etc. The MacBook is a great example of a fully featured compact notebook. The MacBook Air is an example of paying solely for size, willing to sacrifice functionality.

The tech industry has many leaders. I hope they don't follow Apple's lead with the MacBook Air.

Except apparently, you can't fit a lot into a thin form factor. There's no Ethernet, no optical drive, no FireWire, no user serviceable parts, no standard DVI connector, etc. The MacBook is a great example of a fully featured compact notebook. The MacBook Air is an example of paying solely for size, willing to sacrifice functionality.

The tech industry has many leaders. I hope they don't follow Apple's lead with the MacBook Air.

I hope they do; learning from their mistakes counts as following. I'm not saying the MacBook Air will be a flop, but that the 2nd revision will be a lot better, and I'll probably end up getting the 3rd revision, should there be one.