PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Something is very wrong in the latest version of MKV2VOB - I constantly get "Status: BeSplit Crashed", I'm not splitting the movies or anything.

Have you tried re-installing? Mine is working 100% fine

Of course ;)

CoreAVC & Haali Media Splitter like I've always used, used to work fine.

Now I get the error message after the AAC 2/3 Conversion.

Of course ;)

CoreAVC & Haali Media Splitter like I've always used, used to work fine.

Now I get the error message after the AAC 2/3 Conversion.

Really not sure mate. I've never seen that error.

Anyone know how to get MP4 files playing on the PS3? I have a DVD copy of a particular football game and it was never released on HD besides the cable broadcast. I've since downloaded the HD version only to find it in the odd .mp4 format. The PS3 shows it as an unsupported file type when I transfer it over. I'm trying to use PS3video9 to convert it and we'll see in two hours how it works out.

Is there a faster way to make these compatible like the mkv files? Its pretty frustrating that the PS3 supports .mp4 files but is picky in which it will play [from what I've read, Sony has very strict requirements on what file types it will play].

Yeah I've had it where some MP4 work and some don't, it's a real pain :(

Thanks for the guide though Audioboxer, I'm going to give it a try soon because I've got tons of MKV's that I need to get working on the PS3.

It's just too much of a hassle connecting my laptop to my TV every time ;) haha

use GotSent to convert mkv files

it splits the mkv h264 video and audio and rejoins it into a ps3.xbox mp4 file

If you're going to manually convert the file make sure the h264 is level 4.1 compliant

^

MKV2VOB is better optimised for the PS3, and should be used over GOTSent.

The 360 can't do muxing and 5.1 dolby digital.

It can only do muxing and 2.0 stereo, or transcoding video and 5.1 dolby digital.

Figured it out. The file I have is x264 AVC (not supported). Needs to be h.264. C'mon Sony, expand support.

Erm x264 IS h.264 which is also known as AVC, H.264 is the standard and x264 is one set of developers take on that standard.

Your file probably doesnt work because it has been encoded using settings incompatible with the PS3 like P4x4 or too many reference frames.

Not all videos work, all programs like MKV2VOB do is demux the h.264 video file and audio file, patch the videostream to make it Level 4.1 instead of 5.1, re-encode the audio and remux it into a PS3 compatible container, if the video you are putting into it has incompatible settings then unless you transcode it reducing the quality what you put in you get out with is an incompatible file.

V2.2.4 2/June/2008

Fixed bug where subtitle SRT filename that contained a comma would result in no subtitles in resulting conversion.

Disabled return code checking (this caused mencoder error for some people), instead its only treated as a warning of possible failure.

Improved "Repairing AC3" step, should keep all channels from the original ac3, this is a work-around to a tsmuxer bug, tsmuxer author please fix it!

Last fix may help you guys that complained about the vocals track going missing?

Do you know why some 1080p MKVs need to be transcoded while others do not? It isn't a big deal for me since I set it overnight, but it is interesting.

Do you know why some 1080p MKVs need to be transcoded while others do not? It isn't a big deal for me since I set it overnight, but it is interesting.

Some 1080p films (mostly new ones) are ripped in video profile 4.1, which allows muxing.

I don't think it has any difference on the movie at all, but the issue is a lot of early stuff was ripped in 5.1 with programs, and if you rip it in 5.1 it's not possible to change to 4.1 and make the file work on a PS3 without transcoding.

4.1/5.1 has nothing to do with sound, it's just some sort of profile attached to the movie.

720p stuff can be changed from 5.1 > 4.1, it's just 1080p that has issues with it.

This is a first. 1080p file failed to play on the PS3. Its picking up the total time, sound (dolby digital 5.1 / 48khz), and video codec, but no playback whatsoever. It just sits @ 00:00:00.

This is a first. 1080p file failed to play on the PS3. Its picking up the total time, sound (dolby digital 5.1 / 48khz), and video codec, but no playback whatsoever. It just sits @ 00:00:00.

Did it transcode or mux?

I wasn't watching it but I thought it did both from what my buddy said. It transcoded overnight and into the next day. When we were watching First Blood Pt 2 I asked what it was doing and he said it was muxing.

For some reason, the rip pops up a dolby digital logo on my screen for a few moments. None of the other rips have done that.

Also, would you recommend getting a 500GB 5400rpm drive or smaller 7200rpm drive for the PS3? It seems zippy enough currently but I will need a new drive. Also, instead of backing up and swapping drives, could I just buy an external drive and hook it up USB or would that not work?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue - the video didn't require transcoding but mkv2vob did have to change the audio from DTS to AVC 1/2(?).

I'm getting really peeved with the issue of getting HD-content to work on my PS3. It seems like you have to download a hundred programs which don't all work 100% of the time :(

I have a similar issue - the video didn't require transcoding but mkv2vob did have to change the audio from DTS to AVC 1/2(?).

I'm getting really peeved with the issue of getting HD-content to work on my PS3. It seems like you have to download a hundred programs which don't all work 100% of the time :(

There are no easy ways of getting mkv files to play on any console, best way is to use a PC based media centre.

There are no easy ways of getting mkv files to play on any console, best way is to use a PC based media centre.

I stream all my movies to my PS3 already.

Tools to convert mkv to PS3-playable formats aren't reliable enough (especially when you consider the time it takes for conversion etc) and it's even more annoying that some perfectly good xvid files won't play when streamed but will play if put on a usb stick and played through the PS3 that way.

I stream all my movies to my PS3 already.

Tools to convert mkv to PS3-playable formats aren't reliable enough (especially when you consider the time it takes for conversion etc) and it's even more annoying that some perfectly good xvid files won't play when streamed but will play if put on a usb stick and played through the PS3 that way.

95% of the 720p content I have just muxes and plays fine :/

I don't mess around with 1080p stuff and transcoding, but I guess that end of things will be more frustrating.

As for the streaming issue, TVersity are releasing a new update this month (big GUI change amongst other stuff), and I'm sure they'll make the app work even better with a PS3.

95% of the 720p content I have just muxes and plays fine :/

I don't mess around with 1080p stuff and transcoding, but I guess that end of things will be more frustrating.

As for the streaming issue, TVersity are releasing a new update this month (big GUI change amongst other stuff), and I'm sure they'll make the app work even better with a PS3.

TVersity just doesn't work for me - the service fails to start and I could never get it to work.

I managed to convert all my mkv's with GOTSent and they all worked without a problem.

Curious.

Are you muxing to vob with GOTSent though?

If not, it'll be converting audio to 2 Channel I believe... Ok if you don't care about 5.1!

Been using Tversity for a while now, works perfect, couldn't ask for more really, sometimes I have to restart the services for the PS3 to recognise, but I can live with that :)