PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Been using Tversity for a while now, works perfect, couldn't ask for more really, sometimes I have to restart the services for the PS3 to recognise, but I can live with that :)

They are releasing the new version this month :woot:

Completely new interface and I suspect the obvious bugs of the current version will be dead - I mean the current version came out in December LAST YEAR!

They are releasing the new version this month :woot:

Completely new interface and I suspect the obvious bugs of the current version will be dead - I mean the current version came out in December LAST YEAR!

Is the new interface also made in flash? :p

Ok just a heads up, I'll be cleaning/updating this guide later today.

I've let it go too long without an update. Depending on time limits, I should have a PSP guide up as well :)

Guys update is almost there, but I have an issue with the PSP remote play section - It's complete, but

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to

:(

Trying to see if I can join any images. I don't know if Neowin can give this topic special permissions to allow more images or not...

Currently 3 images too many.

Edit: Last three images left as links till I PM a Supervisor to ask if permission for more images can be given. I've cut down on some other images I don't think are needed, but I can't get under the limit :/

Ok nothing could be done about the image limit as it's on per-forum basis, not a per-post basis.

It's ok though, kinetix suggested I "glue" some images together, and I done just that :)

you slide a case off the shelf, open it, pop in the disc. its pretty much the same amount of time if not faster than going through all types of folders and sub folders. not to mention all the hrs devoted to converting your files.

and don't get me wrong, h'm not badmouthing downloading, but lets be honest.

Scratched discs are not fun to handle. I prefer to rip them onto my computer so I won't have to lose the money I spent on a movie or video game or even albums.

Digital library > Physical library

K I don't get this. I encoded the sample with MPEG-2 and it came out @ 38mb. Read 12.5mbps for the codec bitrate. Tried the sample with x264. 64mb with 640kbps reading for the codec bitrate. Wouldn't the higher bitrate be better, but didn't you say x264 was better in your first post?

K I don't get this. I encoded the sample with MPEG-2 and it came out @ 38mb. Read 12.5mbps for the codec bitrate. Tried the sample with x264. 64mb with 640kbps reading for the codec bitrate. Wouldn't the higher bitrate be better, but didn't you say x264 was better in your first post?

Yeah unfortunately there has been a bug or two to iron out with x264 transcoding.

3r1c fixed a few things over the past releases, 2.24 was suppose to fix most of it, if not all.

I'd try it with a proper file/movie - The bug seems to sometimes happen due to files being encoded/ripped poorly. The sample you tried was probably manually cut out of a movie, therefore it may have been done incorrectly and/or have botched up headers.

Transcoding to MPEG-2 will work all the time really, but to transcode to x264 you need to have a good rip of something.

The x264 encode I did of the 1080p file may have worked the first time. Apparently the first 5s of the encode are what is messing it up. I skipped to about 15 minutes in and it ran fine [MPEG-2 file] after it wouldn't start. I've narrowed it down to within the first 10s. Weird.

I just want to congratulate audioboxer once again on this guide.

you're doing a really awesome job at keeping it up to date as well. awesome contribution to the forum :yes:

Does anyone get the message "Error getting mkv info!" when adding a file to be converted? I am trying to run the program through Wine 1.0 but there may be other external dependencies that need to be installed?

Does anyone get the message "Error getting mkv info!" when adding a file to be converted? I am trying to run the program through Wine 1.0 but there may be other external dependencies that need to be installed?

Well you need the codec pack installed I mentioned in the first post!

Just playing around with the new version of TVersity. Not bad so far.

It's out? Yay thanks for the head up.

But naaay, guide needs another update now ;) :p

I don't really care about the interface changes, I just hope they've fixed the most obvious bugs.

Hope they fixed two Vista issues: Not being able to drag'n'drop and you have to restart the media sharing when you open it, before any device can see it.

EDIT: Ewww, you need to disable UAC to install ... -.-

Hope they fixed two Vista issues: Not being able to drag'n'drop and you have to restart the media sharing when you open it, before any device can see it.

EDIT: Ewww, you need to disable UAC to install ... -.-

Yeah Vista had a fair few bugs with the service. I think it was buggy on XP as well, but worse on Vista.

UAC? That's the biggest POS around that service :p

Not really.

Antivirus and Firewall and you're fine.

Unless you have a 4 year old using your PC, you don't really need a question box popping up every time you change 1 setting on your PC.

IMO anyway, but you may have a use for it...

Fair enough to not like UAC or not use it, but calling it crap is just uninformed.

I didn't call it crap, I called it a piece of **** :p

It's an added level of security, but 99% of power home users, just don't need that level of protection unless you're doing something radical.

That's all my opinion on the service as a power user, as I said you may have a use for it. I know it has it's function and it will be useful for many - It was more of a joke at how I think it's a burden.

I'm happy with a firewall and antivirus to protect my PC (Y)

Edited by Audioboxer