PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

It sucks that you still have to convert. That process takes AGES. Will Sony *ever* support mkv natively? Looks bleak, huh?

95% of 720p content does not need to convert

It muxes, and takes like 1-2 mins.

No quality is lost.

90% of 1080p content does need to convert though.

Minimal quality losses, but it takes some time.

If you rip "correctly" in 1080p though, you won't need to convert.

As for official support, maybe once MKV actually has some legal uses :whistle:

Word is, DivX7 will support MKV though, and as the PS3 is a registered DivX device, Sony will have to update so maybe then things will get interesting (Y)

Used this guide the other day, thanks a lot for putting it together Audio.

It took a good 10-15 mins for my 4Gb'ish mkv file to be muxed, but it worked perfectly. :D

I'm having trouble with an .mkv file. It plays fine in Media Player Classic etc but when I convert with mkv2vob (using same settings I always use) I get a similar sized file that displays a black screen but plays the sound.

Same happens when I use GOTsent.

Any ideas?

I'm having trouble with an .mkv file. It plays fine in Media Player Classic etc but when I convert with mkv2vob (using same settings I always use) I get a similar sized file that displays a black screen but plays the sound.

Same happens when I use GOTsent.

Any ideas?

Black screen on PC or PS3, or both?

Sounds like an advanced profile rip (aka profile 5.1).

A lot of 1080p content is done in this profile. Most 720p stuff is done in profile 4.1.

However there are some exceptions.

You might just have a 720p file in profile 5.1, which means there is no choice but to transcode.

Is MKV2VOB on automatic detection? Usually it picks up on files it has to transcode.

Is there a similar program like TVersity to stream from my Mac to my PS3?

if you just mean stream (and not transcode/convert on the fly) then medialink is your answer. i use it and its perfect for the job.

• 3 weeks later...
How do I convert m2ts files to play on PS3?

I renamed them to mkv and they still play (assuming because it's a container).

Edit: Didn't work.

TSMuxer, remux to TS and they should work.

Encoding Blu Rays takes foooorever.... 21 hours for one movie :p

Good thing is but, the majority of Blu Rays are now encoded in AVC, which means all you need to do is rip them to the PC and they stream directly in full quality. Takes like 45-1.5 hours to rip the movie off the disc (minus uncessary languages/extras).

Anything encoded in VC-1 though (early BR, 90% of HDDVDs), has to be re-encoded which takes like 20+ hours on mid range PCs if you want quality to be as close to the BR disc as possible.

You can do it quicker at some loss of quality (still higher quality than your local pirate rip though).

• 2 weeks later...

DivX Player has been extensively upgraded in preparation for some of the exciting new features that will be released with DivX 7 for Windows! Some of the major changes include:

- High-performance H.264 video decoding with support for Baseline, Main, High, High 10, and High 4:2:2 profiles, full interlace support, multithreaded decoding on up to 8 CPU cores and optimizations for MMX, SSE and SSE2 instruction sets.

- Multichannel AAC (LC/HE) decoding

- Support for MKV files including:

* Multiple audio tracks for multilingual audio, directors commentary or isolated musical scores

* Multiple subtitle tracks for multilingual subtitles

* Ordered chapters for chaining MKV files together during playback

- Initial support for SSA and ASS subtitles which can either be stored within the MKV file or externally

- Fast frame-accurate seeking

- Real-time handling of interlaced H.264 video:

* Bob de-interlace

* Display top field only

* Display bottom field only

* Display weave

http://labs.divx.com/system/files/private/...backPreview.exe

it's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://labs.divx.com/node/7405

Does anyone have a DLNA error?

Just a few weeks ago--perhaps related to the 2.52 firmware update or not, I'm not sure--I have been unable to stream videos from my computer to my PS3 using Tversity.

My PS3 can still see the media server, but whenever I try to play something, I either get a DLNA error or it says the data is corrupt.

I don't think anything has changed other than upgrading the firmware. Same computer. Same router.

Help? Some stuff on the internet says to reboot everything, but that hasn't fixed my problem.

Does anyone here actually rip their own movies? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Cause if so I'm adding to the guide the methods needed to play the uncompressed AVC/VC-1 files on the PS3. Basically they give you 1:1 quality to what's on the Blu Ray, in 1080p and with AC3 5.1 for AVC, VC-1 has to be 2 channel WMA though.

If you have VC-1 encoded titles and want 5.1, your only option is to encode to h264 first.

VC-1 is only really seen from HD-DVD movies, and early Blu Ray stuff. Everything now is AVC.

Edited by Audioboxer

Have you figured out how to enable subtitles without hard coding the entire movie?

I think you can do it if you create a Blu Ray AVCHD (you're basically taking the video/audio from MKV and putting it in a Blu Ray disc structure with certificate).

However the negative to that is, unless you're going to burn to a Blu Ray disc, you need to create 4GB chunks for playback on a USB stick/USB hard drive/DVD.

I'll do some research for you (Y)

I think you can do it if you create a Blu Ray AVCHD (you're basically taking the video/audio from MKV and putting it in a Blu Ray disc structure with certificate).

However the negative to that is, unless you're going to burn to a Blu Ray disc, you need to create 4GB chunks for playback on a USB stick/USB hard drive/DVD.

I'll do some research for you (Y)

I'm saying from an MKV. I don't understand why you have to hard code them into the video from MKV2VOB instead of it having some kind of subtitle support.

great guide audioboxer.

the one thing i had problem with was converting 1080p of a movie.

the error was "Could not parse mkv file" I believe it was.

I tried forcing and disabling Transcoding and yet fail.

I guess 1080p's are hard to encode after all.

• 1 month later...

After quite a while of no updates, 3r1c is back

V2.3.1 23/Dec/2008

Fixed Overflow in DTS/AAC conversion.

V2.3.0 23/Dec/2008

Direct AAC to AC3 conversion (400% faster)

Direct DTS to AC3 conversion (300% faster)

H.264 level detection for files missing the x264 header. (eg. sample files)

Update - http://www.3r1c.eu/mkv2vob/mkv2vob.exe

Glad to see the update for DTS conversion, as it took quite a while in the past.

Also the application now has it's own forums - http://www.mkv2vob.com/

ps. The anniversary of this guide is this month! :laugh: 72,754 views in a year ain't too bad :rofl:

Edited by Audioboxer

Been having a few issues with this lately. I have a split mkv that I've already converted to mpeg, however I cannot join the 2 files together, any ideas? mpeg joiner etc all throw up errors.

I just used this software to transcode an 1080p movie, i had to split it in 4gb, because the FAT32 limit, the first part its perfect, but the second one, my brother connected his ipod to my laptop and freezed the computer for like 8 seconds, so the video/audio its not synched, its there a way i can split the mkv file so i just transcode the part 2 and not the whole movie?

Been having a few issues with this lately. I have a split mkv that I've already converted to mpeg, however I cannot join the 2 files together, any ideas? mpeg joiner etc all throw up errors.

Do you mean a movie you've split with MKV2VOB, or split with something else?

The reason MPEG joiner probably isn't working is the video codec inside the mpg container won't be a codec usually inside of an mpeg file. Remember MKV2VOB is just using the MPEG container as a way around the PS3 having no MKV support. The application you're using is probably quite strict about things.

I'll see if there's a way to join things AFTER using MKV2VOB - Sure there will be.