PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Does anyone know of a good program to let you play .mov and .hdmov files with ease on it? Tversity does a pretty poor job of doing it. The files won't copy all the way and when you stream them they pause and stutter the whole time.

Does anyone know of a good program to let you play .mov and .hdmov files with ease on it? Tversity does a pretty poor job of doing it. The files won't copy all the way and when you stream them they pause and stutter the whole time.

Use P3MS - http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Tveristy is garbage compared to it!

edit: Perfect timing, look here - http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=675 - The new beta does MOV remuxing [meaning you might be able to avoid transcoding completely]

Edited by Audioboxer

Will that also work with the 360?

You just beat my edit lol.

The new beta has limited 360 support, give it a go and see if it works.

Well it did the .mov file really well but it doesn't seem to find any of my mp3s.

EDIT: Nevermind Ignore me. I am an idiot.

Edited by Dirk

Well it did the .mov file really well but it doesn't seem to find any of my mp3s.

Music works fine here.

I know this question may "offend" you, but did you make sure you went to "Music" on the PS3 XMB? :rofl:

Countless times I've been under the wrong category on the PS3 cursing why nothing is appearing!

Music works fine here.

I know this question may "offend" you, but did you make sure you went to "Music" on the PS3 XMB? :rofl:

Countless times I've been under the wrong category on the PS3 cursing why nothing is appearing!

Yea I edited the post to show how retarded I am.

• 3 weeks later...
Bump because I just used this thead to figure out how to get movies onto my PS3.

Also, this thing should be stickied.

It's ridiculously out of date right now.

I'm in the process of updating it to include the absolutely awesome PS3MS - http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ in favour of ditching TVersity.

We've come a long way since I last updated the guide, one of the biggest additions DTS support.

really?

So it doesn't make a difference playing videos in the "transcode" folder or whatever video file "as is" ? as compared to using mkv2vob?

Are people still using MKV2VOB I have never had the need to use it since I moved to PS3MS.

If you don't stream and/or want subtitles without transcoding you'd need MK2VOB.

Plus the transcoding process MKV2VOB uses for files that need transcoding is of a much higher quality than PS3MS. PS3MS uses MPEG2, MKV2VOB uses x264 if you choose it.

There's a reason MKV2VOB can take hours to transcode a movie where as PS3MS transcode playback is pretty much instant :p

Test the difference yourself in MKV2VOB, you can set it to transcode to MPEG2. Then try it again on X264.

• 4 months later...

Hey i have my files in my computer, they aren't splited, because i stream with ps3ms, my uncle want my files, but he uses an external FAT32 hard drive, theres the 4gb limit, what program shold i use to split the final mpg, into 2 files or more? They're 1080p movies.

Sorry for the bad english :(

Thanks in regards

mkv2vob

under File Type, can't remember the exact name, look at the drop down box and select FAT32 4.x split.

It then will split the 12.xxGB file into 4GB + 4GB + 3.xGB.

if you want to create a file you can put on memory card/dvd/bd you should probably use multiavchd now, you can add menus/use dts audio/multiple subtitles link

• 2 weeks later...

I've given this guide a quick update to work with PS3 Media Server, I'll further proof read everything later, I have to go out just now. It's a simple 'how to' to help anyone get started.

Great guide Audioboxer!

Just one small problem

That link still redirects to the tversity site, not to the actual ps3 mediaserver page.

But still, Awesome guide.

Cheers!

Well spotted, fixed, thanks!

Well, after a tip from Audio, I tried PS3MS tonight and I've got a few things to say about it:

- The interface is a real mess. Compared to TVersity it looks like ****.

- After spending about half an hour playing with my firewall rules and the software's own settings I still couldn't get it to connect/recognize the PS3.

- The browser interface just shows a blank page...

- Have I mentioned it's ugly already? Because it is...

- Scanning library folders takes ages. Hey, at least it appeared to work :)

I really tried to make it work but it just didn't want to cooperate. Guess I'm sticking with TVersity for the time being.

Amazing guide, Audioboxer. The Link Shell Extension will make things so much easier because I have two external hard drives. Thanks!

PS: I am so totally following you on Twitter. :D

I seem to be having a problem with the IMDB plugin, I have copied it over to the plugin directory but each time I start PS3MS (which I have to start directly by the .jar because the .exe doesn't seem to work :/ Using Windows 7 x64, but I don't think that's the issue) it doesn't display the plugin as being included.

Any ideas?

I seem to be having a problem with the IMDB plugin, I have copied it over to the plugin directory but each time I start PS3MS (which I have to start directly by the .jar because the .exe doesn't seem to work :/ Using Windows 7 x64, but I don't think that's the issue) it doesn't display the plugin as being included.

Any ideas?

Uhh I'm pretty sure if you're loading it by the .jar file it doesn't inject some of the code necessary.

What do you mean the exe doesn't work?

Also are you running the x64 version of Java?

I'm running on Windows 7 x64 just fine.

Yep got the x64 version of Java but for some reason when I double click the exe it just won't load the app.

When I go to load the app, a new javaw.exe process is spawned and takes approximately 44mb and then disappears from the process list. I am guessing somewhere along the way the java app is crashing when it is launched through the exe, might try and hunt through the event viewer and work out if I can trace the problem.

At least I still have the main program though :)

Cheers for the guide by the way, very useful indeed :)