PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

I've found that FF/RW is pretty useless, so I use the "go to" feature and just change the time :)

Yeah, I've always used the go to feature which works great.

• 2 weeks later...

1.52.2-SB70:

* Synchronised with official r1322 (03bfb207f5), changelog

* Updated MPlayer and MEncoder to SB30, changelog

* Updated ImageMagick Convert to 6.7.6-4

1.52.2-SB71:

* Synchronised with official r1330 (43c3455a91), changelog

* Added new True Motion feature to the Avisynth engine, along with the ability to use GPU to boost speed

* Added support for automatic multithreading in Avisynth (was only possible manually before)

* Disabled convertfps by default in Avisynth since it was missing a value and therefore caused 1 missing frame per second

* Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.56, changelog

SubJunk Windows Build / SubJunk Linux Build / Official Build

I just install Showtime Media Player on my second PS3 with Rogero 3.1 CFW. Way better than wasting time trying to stream video to the PS3.

That is a pretty cool alternative. How difficult is it do install a CFW on a PS3?

• 4 weeks later...

The bleeding edge betas you'd usually get from the forums (named subjunk builds) seem to have been rebranded - http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

Changes from SB71:

Renamed and rebranded to Universal Media Server

Updated MPlayer and MEncoder to SB34

Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.57

Enabled automatic updating

Fixed NPE when toggling HTTP Engine V2

Fixed global custom MEncoder options

Fixed startup for symlinked UMS.sh (thanks, Matthijs!)

Added documentation to UMS.conf (thanks, Hagar!)

Updated JNA to support multiarch directories on Linux

Added GUI support for right-to-left languages

Language updates:

- Added Arabic

- Updated Czech

- Added Hebrew (thanks, zvi-yamin!)

- Updated English

Renderer updates:

- Added D-link DSM-510 (thanks, glenrocks!)

- Added AcePlayer app (thanks, md.versi!)

- Fixed Samsung 2012 TVs timeout (thanks, troop!)

Added option to select and force the default renderer

from Subjunk

Yeah it is completely separate; the installations will not affect eachother. I wanted people to start with a new config since there has been a bug affecting some users which was fixed by deleting their conf files. Also default values have changed over time so it's good to start clean.

It's my intention now to work on UMS but to keep it in sync with some PMS updates, so we get the best of both worlds. When there is a PMS update that looks dodgy I won't include it.

I'm tired of seeing posts like "I used PMS until version x and now none work anymore" so I'm going to be picky and hopefully we can go back to enjoying the stability of the 1.2 branch.

For this release I worked hard on improving the MEncoder build, which are quite different to the one included in the last SB. It is faster (up to 2x!), more stable and better at managing font caching, especially on Windows 7.

Universal Media Server v1.1.0

Windows build / Linux build

Changes since 1.0.1:

General:

- Made program restarts more reliable

- Fixed bug that occurred when resetting cache

- Made buffer display in megabytes instead of bytes

- Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.58

- Branding

- Fixed overscan compensation bug on some renderers (thanks to tMH for reporting the bug!)

- Improved OS X tray icon (thanks, glebb!)

- Added workaround for folder depth limits

- Use UMS_PROFILE instead of PMS_PROFILE

- Added support for audio that is 48Hz/24Hz

- Fixed settings folder permissions

Renderers:

- Added Yamaha RX-V671 (thanks, adresd!)

- Added LG Smart TV Upgrader (600ST)

- Added OPPO BDP-83 (thanks, counsil!)

- Added OPPO BDP-93 (thanks, counsil!)

- Added Sony Bravia 5500 series image

- Added Sony Bravia EX series image

- Added Panasonic TV image

- Improved D-Link DSM-510 image

- Improved Sony Blu-ray Player image

- Improved Xbox 360 image

- Improved Philips Streamium support

- Fixed support for Samsung 2012 TVs (thanks, trooperryan!)

- Numerous small improvements

- AviSynth True Motion (InterFrame):

- Supports more video cards

- Improved stability

- Improved compatibility with AviSynth 2.6

Languages:

- Made Status tab more consistent across languages

- Removed outdated translations

Installer:

- Option to install AviSynth 2.6 MT

- Option to set custom memory limit

Upgrade Notes:

It is recommended to uninstall the older version before installing the new one.

So wait, PMS is now UMS?

And what about the config file I use, can I move it to the new folder location for this app, or do I need to reconfigure the whole app?

When it says uninstall the older version above, do they mean PMS or this new app?

Last question, has anyone had any issues with pixelation with certain movies? It is a weird issue I just saw for the first time, actually thought it was the movie itself and some effect, but then once it continued for 15 minutes I realized it was not supposed to be happening.

So wait, PMS is now UMS?

And what about the config file I use, can I move it to the new folder location for this app, or do I need to reconfigure the whole app?

When it says uninstall the older version above, do they mean PMS or this new app?

Last question, has anyone had any issues with pixelation with certain movies? It is a weird issue I just saw for the first time, actually thought it was the movie itself and some effect, but then once it continued for 15 minutes I realized it was not supposed to be happening.

The stable branch of PS3MS still exists at www.ps3mediaserver.org and will be updated, but slowly. The beta builds most of us in here used called the 'Subjunk Build' has now been renamed to UMS.

The uninstall part above related to UMS.

The dev Subjunk said a fresh config file is created for UMS on purpose, so I probably wouldn't recommend copying your PS3MS one over.

Yeah it is completely separate; the installations will not affect each other. I wanted people to start with a new config since there has been a bug affecting some users which was fixed by deleting their conf files. Also default values have changed over time so it's good to start clean.

It's my intention now to work on UMS but to keep it in sync with some PMS updates, so we get the best of both worlds. When there is a PMS update that looks dodgy I won't include it.

I'm tired of seeing posts like "I used PMS until version x and now none work anymore" so I'm going to be picky and hopefully we can go back to enjoying the stability of the 1.2 branch.

For this release I worked hard on improving the MEncoder build, which are quite different to the one included in the last SB. It is faster (up to 2x!), more stable and better at managing font caching, especially on Windows 7.

The stable branch of PS3MS still exists at www.ps3mediaserver.org and will be updated, but slowly. The beta builds most of us in here used called the 'Subjunk Build' has now been renamed to UMS.

The uninstall part above related to UMS.

The dev Subjunk said a fresh config file is created for UMS on purpose, so I probably wouldn't recommend copying your PS3MS one over.

Thanks AB, right after I posted and I had seen you already posted the quoted text in an earlier post, but I had to run and do something with my dog before I could edit it.

So I guess I just have to do my best to remember how I set up PMS, which you helped me with quite a bit IIRC, so I may have some questions for you again. :laugh:

I have actually not installed a SubJunk build in quite some time, I found one that worked flawless for me and pretty much stuck to it, I think it was 68 maybe (or 58, I am on my Mac and my desktop shortcuts do not show up for me when I log on from my Macbook so cannot verify) until this morning when I saw this pixelation issue, but it could just be the encode of the movie I have that got corrupted, as other movies work no issues.

Going to install UMS and give it a whirl later on today. Definitely. Thanks to you and MediocoreNoob for continually updating this thread, as it literally is the app I use most on my Win 7 comp. I just liked UMS on Facebook to help support these guys, as they really deserve all the credit in the world, have made my home entertainment experience top notch.

Really hope this new Universal Media Server is worth it as what an utter nightmare I had installing it. ****ty Java was acting up big time. I installed UMS first. Then trying to launch it I started getting some Java Virtual Environment was out of memory message or something along those lines. I did not do a very good job at documenting the error messages as I was frustrated and in a hurry. As that is happening, Java told me I had an update, so got it as I normally would. Installing the latest Java got rid of the error message about Java, but then somehow my right click on icons (to run program as administrator for example) stopped working completely while just clicking on an icon or folder. Normal desktop was fine. But on an icon, explorer would just freeze, and eventually I would get an error message in regards to an Interactive Services Detection error in Windows explorer which would eventually result in giving me some Runtime error. C++ Distributable I think it was in regards to. Again I hastily clicked through it all to fast out of frustration. And I may be getting the sequnce of events messed up slightly, but basically one thing after another was not working properly.

So a Java uninstall and reinstall and a few restarts later, I finally got everything back to normal, and it was truly an absolute pain in the ass. I did see the Java Virtual Environment message once since fixing it all, but then just trying to launch the app (UMS) again worked. I think I may now uninstall UMS and reinstall it just to see if that finally resolves that. I have luckily avoided almost all issues with Java in the past, but today absolutely proved to me why so many people hate it, as it truly can wreak havoc on the OS.

Yeah. It is a shame that Java can be a bipolar bitch. If it all goes well you can enjoy many cross-platform games and programs. But if one little thing is out of place then you might as well paint the walls with your brains.

I've been having audio out of sync issues with PMS. It's driving me crazy. Anyone figured something out that worked? mostly on MKVs, and I've tried so many things posted on the interweb.

You guys should really just buy yourself a WDTV live. They are so great! They play everything under the sun!

Universal Media Server v1.1.1: Mac OS X / Windows / Linux

General:

- Fixed memory buffer handling

- Added LPCM transcoding option for all audio tracks

- Added DTS HD-MA support up to 7.1 channels: DTS core remux, LPCM and AC3 transcoding

- Added Dolby TrueHD support up to 7.1 channels: LPCM (recommended) and AC3 (buggy for 7.1) transcoding

- Added support for more rare audio formats

- Updated documentation in UMS.conf

Languages:

- Improved English settings labels

- Fixed spacing across all languages on the "Common transcode settings" page

- Improved Russian translations

- Fixed display of maximum transcode buffer size in 5 languages (ca, es, is, it, sv)

- Improved support for RTL languages

Upgrade Notes:

Glebb for compiling the OS X version.

The PMS developers.

• Like 1

I've stopped using this now. It has too many issues with losing sync in videos (that don't lose sync on the pc), some videos just don't work when they should (play on PC but don't start on media server) and searching through videos is cumbersome. Why can't it remember where I stopped a video if I turn the PS3 off and come back to it later?

There's some basic issues that need fixing but they're adding more and more advanced stuff that practically no one will use.

Universal Media Server v1.1.1: Mac OS X / Windows / Linux

General:

- Fixed memory buffer handling

- Added LPCM transcoding option for all audio tracks

- Added DTS HD-MA support up to 7.1 channels: DTS core remux, LPCM and AC3 transcoding

- Added Dolby TrueHD support up to 7.1 channels: LPCM (recommended) and AC3 (buggy for 7.1) transcoding

- Added support for more rare audio formats

- Updated documentation in UMS.conf

Languages:

- Improved English settings labels

- Fixed spacing across all languages on the "Common transcode settings" page

- Improved Russian translations

- Fixed display of maximum transcode buffer size in 5 languages (ca, es, is, it, sv)

- Improved support for RTL languages

Upgrade Notes:

Glebb for compiling the OS X version.

The PMS developers.

Cheers!

I've stopped using this now. It has too many issues with losing sync in videos (that don't lose sync on the pc), some videos just don't work when they should (play on PC but don't start on media server) and searching through videos is cumbersome. Why can't it remember where I stopped a video if I turn the PS3 off and come back to it later?

There's some basic issues that need fixing but they're adding more and more advanced stuff that practically no one will use.

I must be real lucky as you are now the second person to mention sync issues, and I have only seen them on videos that are truly out of sync, meaning on the PC as well.

The other stuff though definitely, a resume would be key, but I will say ever since Audioboxer shared the fact you can just go forward and backward using the exact time feature, that has been key for me, and was so incredibly responsive on UMS when I checked it out.

Not sure if I am going to update to this 1.1.1, I might because of the 7.1 stuff, but definitely going to install it on my Macbook.

I must be real lucky as you are now the second person to mention sync issues, and I have only seen them on videos that are truly out of sync, meaning on the PC as well.

The other stuff though definitely, a resume would be key, but I will say ever since Audioboxer shared the fact you can just go forward and backward using the exact time feature, that has been key for me, and was so incredibly responsive on UMS when I checked it out.

Not sure if I am going to update to this 1.1.1, I might because of the 7.1 stuff, but definitely going to install it on my Macbook.

DL, keep in mind the 7.1 stuff is only go to be available if your rip left it in. As of yet, I havent seen a rip keep the dts-ma or dolby-hd (most likely due to file size increasing dramatically). I may also have no clue what I am talking about so hopefully someone can chime in.

Edit - its also possible the 7.1 has been in this whole time and it just wasnt supported? 7.1 films are still few and far between - here is the best I could find as far as a list (note - list may appear larger that it really is since 2d and 3d are listed separately - and then also listed 3 times as well)

http://forum.blu-ray...ad.php?t=159814

DL, keep in mind the 7.1 stuff is only go to be available if your rip left it in. As of yet, I havent seen a rip keep the dts-ma or dolby-hd (most likely due to file size increasing dramatically). I may also have no clue what I am talking about so hopefully someone can chime in.

Edit - its also possible the 7.1 has been in this whole time and it just wasnt supported? 7.1 films are still few and far between - here is the best I could find as far as a list (note - list may appear larger that it really is since 2d and 3d are listed separately - and then also listed 3 times as well)

http://forum.blu-ray...ad.php?t=159814

Ahhh okay good to know, I just assumed they all supported it. Nevermind then, as I said **** is working, and it was a hassle getting it to that point, so leaving well enough alone. Definitely thanks for the heads up.

Actually email when you can, have a few questions about the Synology DSM Software. See they released a major update to it in 4.0, I am going to finally enable the web services, etc. :laugh: Wondering what you are doing with it these days, as I see they also added Cloud Saving, etc. Seems they really beefed it up, and I know I am not taking advantage of it all.

My audio sync issues seem to be from the new LED TV rather than the software itself (Yet 1.10 works fine for sync).

I changed from full HDMI for video and audio to optical out for audio and the sync is back to normal. Funny enough the sync issue is actually mentioned in the TV manual and they recommend you use the optical option for audio from TV to receiver.

• 2 weeks later...

1.2.0 is out

Changes since 1.1.1:

• General:
    • Create thumbnails from 2 seconds into the video by default
    • Fixed silent installation
    • Updated MPlayer and MEncoder for Windows to SB35, which:
      • Supports more colours in ASS/SSA subtitles
      • Fixes memory leaks
      • Starts faster
      • Improves fonts
      • Improves caching
      • Improves multithreading stability

[*]Updated MPlayer and MEncoder for OSX to SB32

[*]Lots of code optimisations

[*]Made program restarts more reliable

[*]Fixed AviSynth ConvertFPS option

[*]Improved AviSynth frame-serving stability

[*]Renderers:

• Added support for DirecTV HR series (thanks, DeFlanko!)
    • Added workaround for 2.0 384 kbits AC3 PS3 audio bug (PMS issue #230 & #1414)
    • Improved support for Panasonic TVs

[*]Installer:

• Only offer to run AviSynth installer if it isn't already installed

[*]Languages:

• Updated Czech

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

No message to uninstall previous version, just to make sure you do not install AVISynth if already installed. Think my lazy ass will install it (and in all fairness, I had all those Java issues on last install, so somewhat hesitant). Actually I guess why not just do what I did for the SubJunk builds, and that is create a new install directory. I got a ******** of versions of the Sub Junk build on my comp actually. very lazy indeed. :D