PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Nice, gonna upgrade to this one this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. (Y)

Nice, gonna upgrade to this one this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. (Y)

I will def update ASAP. Recently I have had more network errors in the last week then Ive had since I started using this app.

I use TVersity however, it is no longer free :( so i can never update it without paying.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into a Cinavia issue right away using UMS. No issue with PMS with same exact movie. So yeah, I will be sticking with PMS myself. Shame, as I did like the additional options UMS offered, and it did seem much snappier. But cannot be having that.

• Like 1

I ran into a Cinavia issue right away using UMS. No issue with PMS with same exact movie. So yeah, I will be sticking with PMS myself. Shame, as I did like the additional options UMS offered, and it did seem much snappier. But cannot be having that.

Hmm strange, at one time PS3MS did allow a Cinavia bypass, but that was removed quite a while back for legal reasons. The features of UMS should make way into PMS at some point.

I also noticed I never did get around to redoing the guide! /lazy Haha... guess we just ended up with the regulars using this topic so we all know what we're doing.

Very odd Lary, because I've always experienced Cinavia with both versions. I've found that just pausing the movie and settings the date on the PS3 up 1 year fixed it... normally making it to year 2016 before a movie ended :p A tad annoying, but worth the price for free :p

For another topic though... how can I get my new Galaxy S3 to detect UMS? I opened up the "video Player", it can see the UMS, but when I click on it, it says that there is nothing there... any clue?

Hmm strange, at one time PS3MS did allow a Cinavia bypass, but that was removed quite a while back for legal reasons. The features of UMS should make way into PMS at some point.

I also noticed I never did get around to redoing the guide! /lazy Haha... guess we just ended up with the regulars using this topic so we all know what we're doing.

I wonder if I am just on an older version of PMS. As the same movie I had Cinavia issues with UMS, just threw it on PMS, and not a single mention of it.

And yeah, we don't need no stinking guide anymore. :laugh:

Very odd Lary, because I've always experienced Cinavia with both versions. I've found that just pausing the movie and settings the date on the PS3 up 1 year fixed it... normally making it to year 2016 before a movie ended :p A tad annoying, but worth the price for free :p

Nice, I will definitely do that if needed. As you said annoying, but definitely worth the overall price.

So perhaps my most important question of this thread, and I hope to have it answered before Friday evening...

Is anyone using Windows 8 yet with either PMS or UMS? If so, does all work as it should?

I have my copy of Windows 8 Pro arriving from Amazon on Friday, I have pretty much decided to install it, however one thing that would hold me back from doing so are if there is even a small issue with PMS or UMS. Truth is, these are the apps I use most on my PC, by far actually, and I just want to make sure if I install Windows 8, there will be no issues streaming movies to my PS3.

So if anyone can answer that question, it would be greatly appreciated. (Y)

just use winamp remote win 8 music and it does video 2

Don't think it does movies quite like these programs though. perhaps I am wrong, but I am thinking it probably does not do DTS sound, which this feature alone makes using this program above the rest.

So anyone using these programs on Windows 8?

I wonder if I am just on an older version of PMS. As the same movie I had Cinavia issues with UMS, just threw it on PMS, and not a single mention of it.

And yeah, we don't need no stinking guide anymore. :laugh:

Nice, I will definitely do that if needed. As you said annoying, but definitely worth the overall price.

So perhaps my most important question of this thread, and I hope to have it answered before Friday evening...

Is anyone using Windows 8 yet with either PMS or UMS? If so, does all work as it should?

I have my copy of Windows 8 Pro arriving from Amazon on Friday, I have pretty much decided to install it, however one thing that would hold me back from doing so are if there is even a small issue with PMS or UMS. Truth is, these are the apps I use most on my PC, by far actually, and I just want to make sure if I install Windows 8, there will be no issues streaming movies to my PS3.

So if anyone can answer that question, it would be greatly appreciated. (Y)

Ive been using Windows 8 with one of the media players.. cant remember if I ever updated to the new version (although, I think I did because I dont see the pop-up anymore asking to download an update). Ive had no issues, havent seen a cinavia error in a long time.

Ive been using Windows 8 with one of the media players.. cant remember if I ever updated to the new version (although, I think I did because I dont see the pop-up anymore asking to download an update). Ive had no issues, havent seen a cinavia error in a long time.

Cinavia isn't the streamer or windows, it is in the PS3 software.That is why it really can't be bypassed. You can trick the player into thinking it hasn't activated yet, by doing the advancing a year on the system settings. But other than that, the only way to not get cinavia is to hook your PC directly to the TV. But it is the PS3 that is throwing it up.

Cinavia isn't the streamer or windows, it is in the PS3 software.That is why it really can't be bypassed. You can trick the player into thinking it hasn't activated yet, by doing the advancing a year on the system settings. But other than that, the only way to not get cinavia is to hook your PC directly to the TV. But it is the PS3 that is throwing it up.

Yes but if you see Larrys post above he mentioned that one version got the message while the other didnt. so there must be something in the software that is "tricking" the PS3

Is there any good reason to rip your own movies and then play them back on your ps3 or hd-dvd/bd drive in your pc that you ripped them from? On the other hand downloading rips and watching them i can see. why can't people just admit what they're doing?

I ripped my whole BluRay library of 300+ titles. I don't trust nor do I want to steal movies from pirate sites. I uses a DiskStation to store all my movies and then have have a small pc in each room to play the media via XBMC.

It would be interesting to play them on PS3 but I'm not sure why...

Perfect, that is all I need to know. As long as all still works and there is not something in Windows 8 with networking etc that has changed.

And yeah, there was definitely some sort of cinavia disabling features in the older versions of PMS. Now that I have a work around for it though, not the end of the world it exists.

Perfect, that is all I need to know. As long as all still works and there is not something in Windows 8 with networking etc that has changed.

And yeah, there was definitely some sort of cinavia disabling features in the older versions of PMS. Now that I have a work around for it though, not the end of the world it exists.

Another way to bypass it, if your TV is a smart one, you can hook our TV into your router, and UMS/PMS should show up on it's media sharing area. It's a little more cumbersome and wonky, but it won't ever activate Cinavia unless your TV has the software in it, which I don't think any do. Basically though, you won't use your PS3 to stream, but just the computer and TV.

It works for my Samsung TV, and it is about 2 years old now. So the menus and such should probably be a little better on newer TV's.

Another way to bypass it, if your TV is a smart one, you can hook our TV into your router, and UMS/PMS should show up on it's media sharing area. It's a little more cumbersome and wonky, but it won't ever activate Cinavia unless your TV has the software in it, which I don't think any do. Basically though, you won't use your PS3 to stream, but just the computer and TV.

It works for my Samsung TV, and it is about 2 years old now. So the menus and such should probably be a little better on newer TV's.

Pretty sure Larry has a newer model Sony tv... I'd bet they figured out a way to put Cinavia on the tv as well. :laugh:

Yeah, I have a newer Bravia model. I will see if it works, but pretty sure it probably has Cinavia as well. Damn you Sony!! :laugh:

EDIT - So I guess I finally know what that "Unknown Media Renderer" that always showed up on PSM when I started it up was. My TV!

So oddly enough, not a single video actually will play through my TV? I can navigate all the way to any folder, but the TV then reports "There is no content to display."

Now the thing is, my Synology Disk Station shows up on my TV, and videos show up from it immediately. And seem to work great. I only had smaller videos on my DSM, so I actually am in the process of copying over a fairly large MKV file, once that is done, going to see if it streams from my DSM through my TV. If it does, I may no longer need PSM at all. Although I am wondering if I will get DTS through my TV?

But thanks for even bringing it up Shakey, I really had never even tried my TV with media. While I was at it, I also set up Netflix as well. The TV is the now the 5th device in my house registered for Netflix. I think that is 4 to many, but why not. :rofl:

Yeah, I have a newer Bravia model. I will see if it works, but pretty sure it probably has Cinavia as well. Damn you Sony!! :laugh:

EDIT - So I guess I finally know what that "Unknown Media Renderer" that always showed up on PSM when I started it up was. My TV!

So oddly enough, not a single video actually will play through my TV? I can navigate all the way to any folder, but the TV then reports "There is no content to display."

Now the thing is, my Synology Disk Station shows up on my TV, and videos show up from it immediately. And seem to work great. I only had smaller videos on my DSM, so I actually am in the process of copying over a fairly large MKV file, once that is done, going to see if it streams from my DSM through my TV. If it does, I may no longer need PSM at all. Although I am wondering if I will get DTS through my TV?

But thanks for even bringing it up Shakey, I really had never even tried my TV with media. While I was at it, I also set up Netflix as well. The TV is the now the 5th device in my house registered for Netflix. I think that is 4 to many, but why not. :rofl:

hmm.. now that you mention it. My Sony TV only plays certain video files as well, I do not believe you will get DTS (even if you have an optical cable running from your TV back to your receiver) as most TVs do not support anything other than stereo on the return channel. So thats prob a deal breaker as you watch mostly movies via your MKVs.

Hmmm what is the trick for Cinavia and changing the time? I tried it this afternoon and it just did not work, unless of course it is supposed to happen every 5 or 10 minutes?

Hmmm what is the trick for Cinavia and changing the time? I tried it this afternoon and it just did not work, unless of course it is supposed to happen every 5 or 10 minutes?

This is how I do it, and it works for about 20-30 minutes depending on the video. Thus, I normally end up around the year 2016.

Steps:

Start movie

Cinavia starts and mutes.

Press O to back out of the movie and go to the Settings section of the PS3.

Go to Date and Time, and move the year up 1 year. IE- 2012 to 2013

Go back to the movie, you can use X to normally start from where you left off, or press Triangle ( i believe ) and it will give you the option to play from where you left off.

Keep watching the movie until Cinavia starts up again, rinse and repeat.

It has been working for me. I haven't had a single movie not let that method work when Cinavia has reared it's head.

Just remember after you watch the movie to put your date back to the correct year, or PSN will not let you back on :p

This is how I do it, and it works for about 20-30 minutes depending on the video. Thus, I normally end up around the year 2016.

Steps:

Start movie

Cinavia starts and mutes.

Press O to back out of the movie and go to the Settings section of the PS3.

Go to Date and Time, and move the year up 1 year. IE- 2012 to 2013

Go back to the movie, you can use X to normally start from where you left off, or press Triangle ( i believe ) and it will give you the option to play from where you left off.

Keep watching the movie until Cinavia starts up again, rinse and repeat.

It has been working for me. I haven't had a single movie not let that method work when Cinavia has reared it's head.

Just remember after you watch the movie to put your date back to the correct year, or PSN will not let you back on :p

Thanks, with the incoming hurricane here in nj my office is closed so I hope to catch up on a few movies today and possibly tomorrow.