PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Huleboeren
I'll keep alookout on the original (Dutch) GOTsent topic for you Audioboxer, as I'm also active on that forum

Also, on a side note; if you are a mac user and you're using Mac OS X's native filesystem (HFS) on an external drive, it should also work on your PS3 AND allow files larger than 4GB - note: as far as I know, this is still not something to solve the mp4 4GB issue

Are you sure?

I thought only the X360 supported the HFS filesystem

Keito
Are you sure?

I thought only the X360 supported the HFS filesystem

I couldn't test it as I do not have a mac, nor do I have friends with a mac and PC, it's just what I've heard a couple of times now - yet, I could be wrong
sn00pie

great guide audio! props to you for helping me out with all this stuff a few weeks ago. :yes:

rand0m.bullet

+1 vote for sticky

L3thal

I used GOTsent to encode the mkv movie file to an MP4 as it states but instead it split the movie into 2 mkv files, 2.4gb each :unsure:

What happened to the MP4?

+Audioboxer
I used GOTsent to encode the mkv movie file to an MP4 as it states but instead it split the movie into 2 mkv files, 2.4gb each :unsure:

What happened to the MP4?

Pretty positive that will be a codec issue, you're missing something required to carry out the whole process and are therefore being left with incomplete files. GOTSent is the front end only, it's not an all-in-1-package.

To play it safe, as I said I'd install CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/ - It requires what is needed, with things such as Haali Media Splitter (HD codec).

For all those people on their high horses of "CODEC PACKS DAMAGE YOUR PC!!!" come down to reality. CCCP if you read up on it, was made to be lightweight, and require all that's needed to play/watch HD content on your PC. It doesn't install multiple codecs and doesn't interfere with anything.

If you don't want to use it still, I'll dig deeper into specific codecs that are required.

AC3Filter - http://ac3filter.net/ - Is also needed as well if you aren't using the nero AAC codec.

Out of interest as well, http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/, download MediaInfo, and drag and drop your mkv onto it to see what video/audio codec it is using - Just to see if it's anything unusal, not found in a standard MKV rip.

Keito

Sentry23, the guy who is making GOTsent, is currently checking out possibilities to transcode files to mpeg2 to get subs working - picture quality suffers from this and it'll surely take more time, but if you're really keen on subs - as a lot of people are over at his regular forum - it's maybe a compromise worth making.

edit; he's also figuring out if it's possible to alter the frame rate, because apparently some people using Xbox360's complain about judder/jitter in the images when viewing stuff in 50Hz

+Audioboxer
Sentry23, the guy who is making GOTsent, is currently checking out possibilities to transcode files to mpeg2 to get subs working - picture quality suffers from this and it'll surely take more time, but if you're really keen on subs - as a lot of people are over at his regular forum - it's maybe a compromise worth making.

edit; he's also figuring out if it's possible to alter the frame rate, because apparently some people using Xbox360's complain about judder/jitter in the images when viewing stuff in 50Hz

(Y) for subtitles, but definitely only if you need em.

MPEG2 will take up muuuuch more space as well as the obvious drop in quality from transcoding.

Keito

TBH - I can only care subtitlewise for my Anime to work, however, support is never going to be something which resembles the stuff that can be done on a PC, with the karaoke's, panning/tilting text etc. If it's going to come, it'll be the same as on DVDs etc. where you basically have "raw" text at the bottom. Long story short; I won't be using any new transcode functions to get subtitles working, but oh well :p if it there it's going to please at least some people

L3thal
Pretty positive that will be a codec issue, you're missing something required to carry out the whole process and are therefore being left with incomplete files. GOTSent is the front end only, it's not an all-in-1-package.

To play it safe, as I said I'd install CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/ - It requires what is needed, with things such as Haali Media Splitter (HD codec).

For all those people on their high horses of "CODEC PACKS DAMAGE YOUR PC!!!" come down to reality. CCCP if you read up on it, was made to be lightweight, and require all that's needed to play/watch HD content on your PC. It doesn't install multiple codecs and doesn't interfere with anything.

If you don't want to use it still, I'll dig deeper into specific codecs that are required.

AC3Filter - http://ac3filter.net/ - Is also needed as well if you aren't using the nero AAC codec.

Out of interest as well, http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/, download MediaInfo, and drag and drop your mkv onto it to see what video/audio codec it is using - Just to see if it's anything unusal, not found in a standard MKV rip.

Thanks! I didn't have CCCP installed and now that I installed it, it works perfectly.

Keito

GOTsent Beta-9 Pre-release

Now includes Playable on PS3/360 detection, subs are disabled. Some form of mpeg2 conversion is in there, yet it doesn't work for 360 yet

Download here, but use with care - it's a pre-release of a beta...

Also; Sentry23 announced he's now collaborating with Ditlew - apparently someone with a name in the PSP scene (I do not own one, so I wouldn't know) - they're working on a better h264 detection/implementation, which apparently is almost finished and should make beta10 or beta9, however the former is more likely.

edit; we should really get this topic stickied

+Audioboxer
GOTsent Beta-9 Pre-release

Now includes Playable on PS3/360 detection, subs are disabled. Some form of mpeg2 conversion is in there, yet it doesn't work for 360 yet

Download here, but use with care - it's a pre-release of a beta...

Also; Sentry23 announced he's now collaborating with Ditlew - apparently someone with a name in the PSP scene (I do not own one, so I wouldn't know) - they're working on a better h264 detection/implementation, which apparently is almost finished and should make beta10 or beta9, however the former is more likely.

edit; we should really get this topic stickied

(Y)

I'll update my guide for Beta 9 once it's actually out and all the new features are in/confirmed working.

Waylander

transcoding is a ballache if you ask me i dont see why people are so interested in playing everything on there ps3, something like the Popcorn Hour makes more sense to me if you dont want to use a pc, it has native mkv support and can read subtitles from mkv as well.

Huleboeren
transcoding is a ballache if you ask me i dont see why people are so interested in playing everything on there ps3, something like the Popcorn Hour makes more sense to me if you dont want to use a pc, it has native mkv support and can read subtitles from mkv as well.

I dont have the room for a gazillion boxes that just do one thing each - I want ONE device to handle them all :)

My friend was trying out his friends Popcorn Hour, he says the software seemed a bit buggy..

Perhaps in the future I will invest in one if custom firmware hasnt struck the PS3 by that tiem :D

Ianwoollam

Thanks for this guide! Never heard of any of these programs and was going to just wait for MKV support! Quick note btw GOTSent won't convert an AC3 Audio track in Vista x64 if you don't tick Safe Sync :) For some reason if you don't it just says conversion done with no output file.

However I must admit I struggled getting MKV2VOB to work, for some reason it outputted the Audio fine to the VOB file but there was no video :o But GOTSent works anyway so its all good in the end ;)

Piggy

I just became even more satisfied with my PS3.

I'm playing my MKV files with just streaming! :D

All I did was install a codec pack, change a few settings and install tversity and stream over my network.

I'm so damn happy with this now.

Oh the guide is here btw:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=8063

Scroll down to method B.

+Audioboxer
Thanks for this guide! Never heard of any of these programs and was going to just wait for MKV support! Quick note btw GOTSent won't convert an AC3 Audio track in Vista x64 if you don't tick Safe Sync :) For some reason if you don't it just says conversion done with no output file.

However I must admit I struggled getting MKV2VOB to work, for some reason it outputted the Audio fine to the VOB file but there was no video :o But GOTSent works anyway so its all good in the end ;)

Sounds like a codec issue to me, what codec pack/codecs do you have installed?

I just became even more satisfied with my PS3.

I'm playing my MKV files with just streaming! :D

All I did was install a codec pack, change a few settings and install tversity and stream over my network.

I'm so damn happy with this now.

Oh the guide is here btw:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=8063

Scroll down to method B.

I didn't cover this in my guide, but im happy you have it working :)

Quickest method to view, but you do lose video/audio quality with the transcoding. Plus you need a very decent PC to handle on the fly transcoding (Y)

Malbojia

Just a quick word on Tversity with the K-Lite codec pack. Even though subtitles are check in ffdshow to load sas/ass/srt also embedded. Once you start the file on the ps3 go back to your computer right click on the tray icon and click on the subtitles.

Kill off the transcoding job. Go back to the PS3 and restart the same file. Subtitles should properly appear now on the transcoding computer.

Keito

GOTSent 0.23 Beta 9

Download here

• Lots of fixes (mainly audio and detection)
  • Playable on PS3/360 detectie (Thanks to Ditlew)
  • mpeg2 fallback encoding (PS3/360) note; might take long
  • Subs are off temporarily due to detection issues
  • command line encoding: Gotsent-version-.exe [filename\foldername] (converts all files in directory, to temp dir)
  • Aspect ratio will be corrected for mp4 files where pixel resolution doesn't match display resolution

Apparently there's more but Sentry23 didn't finish his changelog cause he needed some whiskey (his words)

Fubar

just so you guys know , the latest build of mkv2vob has added fast forward and rewind support :)

V1.5.2 28/Jan/2008

Fixed bug with long filenames with DTS give "Error creating AC3 from WAV!"

DTS now recompresses to higher 640bit quality instead of 384bit.

V1.5.1 27/Jan/2008

Fixed muxing bug, 1.5 was completely non-functional sorry.

V1.5 27/Jan/2008

Added Fast forward/rewind support

this is now by far the better option :)

+Audioboxer
just so you guys know , the latest build of mkv2vob has added fast forward and rewind support :)

V1.5.2 28/Jan/2008

Fixed bug with long filenames with DTS give "Error creating AC3 from WAV!"

DTS now recompresses to higher 640bit quality instead of 384bit.

V1.5.1 27/Jan/2008

Fixed muxing bug, 1.5 was completely non-functional sorry.

V1.5 27/Jan/2008

Added Fast forward/rewind support

this is now by far the better option :)

Woah :|

How did he manage it?

I'll update the whole guide soon :yes:

:D

Fubar

no idea but i just checked it and its works :) glad he managed it :)

+Audioboxer
no idea but i just checked it and its works :) glad he managed it :)

Yup :)

I'm in the process of reconverting all my movies now!

(It seems ff/rw has been made possible by using tsMuxer, which is a new application added to MKV2VOB)

Everyone should get 1.52 immediately. I have also noticed a 720p movie I had that I couldn't get working no matter what (MKV2VOB and GOTSent both failed) now works (Y)

Edited by Audioboxer
Huleboeren

Cant wait to try this - please let the next thing be non-hardcoded subtitles support :D

How come this thread hasnt been pinned yet? :( someone should PM DirtyLarry(?)

• Andrew featured and unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      Naughty Dog celebrates The Last of Us Day with a board game, vinyl sound track and more
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

A couple of days ago, the developer of critically acclaimed series The Last of Us announced that it would be renaming its yearly celebration of the community. The annual commemoration takes place on September 26 and was previously called Outbreak Day. Due to the pandemic, Naughty Dog changed the title to The Last of Us Day this year.

In honor of The Last of Us Day, the Santa Monica-based video game maker has announced a bunch of new collectables, memorabilia and more. First off, a 2xLP vinyl version of The Last of Us Part II's original soundtrack has been announced, coupled with some limited edition posters. Pre-orders start tomorrow and close September 30, after which the exclusive posters will go out of print.

Naughty Dog has also announced a tabletop game called The Last of Us Board Game, created in collaboration with CMON. The board game is still under development and no further information is available at the moment, apart from its existence.

Collectable figurines of characters from The Last of Us and The Last of Us II have also been announced. This includes limited-edition statues of Ellie striking different poses and scale figures of Ellie and Joel which may be bought in pairs or individually. Pre-orders are open, with more information available on Naughty Dog's blog.

Following an overwhelming response from fans on the Ellie cosplay guide, an official cosplay guide for Abby from The Last of Us Part II has also been published. A high-res pdf version of the guide can be downloaded from the game's official website free of charge. As part of the festivities of The Last of Us Day, a dynamic beach theme featuring The Last of Us II for the PS4 has also been revealed and is available for free on the PS Store. Until September 28, all other The Last of Us Part II themes and avatars will also be free.

To celebrate The Last of Us day, PlayStation Gear Store will also roll out new merchandise for the franchise such as shirts, mugs and the Joel Funko Pop. Meanwhile, previously existing The Last of Us items on the Gear Store will be discounted by 40%. The PlayStation Store will also participate in the festivities, offering half-off discounts for The Last of Us Remastered, The Last of Us: Left Behind, and some The Last of Us Remastered Factions Bundles. Both sales will end on September 28 at 11:29 PM PST.

Lastly, Naughty Dog has also launched a competition called The Last of Us Part II Photo Mode Contest which will take place on its social media. Qualifying winners stand to win Ellie Edition DualShock 4 controllers while runners up will receive The Last of Us Part II Limited Edition DS4 controllers.

Further information such as pre-order details or terms and conditions about the photo mode competition can be found on Naughty Dog's blog.

• By indospot
      Discuss: What does the future of gaming look like?
      by João Carrasqueira

For decades, the gaming community, or part of it, has gotten used to the famed “console wars”. The race between each console manufacturer has, for a long time, been a topic of discussion for fans, as have the consequences of losing the console wars. Especially after the Sega Dreamcast - the company's last traditional console after a series of failures in the market - the idea of a company becoming a software-only company was a scary one. I distinctly remember how people would discuss the possibility of Nintendo going the same route during the Wii U era, and how worrying that thought was to fans like me.

But as we head into another generation of gaming consoles from Sony and Microsoft, the gaming landscape is changing, and I think it’s very fair to say that Microsoft is spearheading that change.

When it first introduced Xbox Game Pass in 2017, Microsoft gave Xbox what is arguably one of the best deals in gaming, with over 100 games available from the get-go at a monthly cost that’s a fraction of the price of a single game. It instantly gave gamers access to a huge library of games from Microsoft and third-party developers, and that was a huge advantage for Xbox consoles. But since then, it’s become increasingly clear that it’s not about consoles.

Last year, Microsoft introduced Game Pass for PC, and with that, you didn’t even have to buy Microsoft’s hardware to get access to a long list of games, once again, for a very low monthly fee. Sure, it requires a Windows 10 PC that can run games, but most gaming PCs already run Windows 10 (based on the latest Steam hardware survey), and the hardware requirements would be there even outside of Game Pass. And this month, the next step - game streaming from the cloud officially launched on Android as part of Game Pass Ultimate, and now you don’t even need a PC or a Windows license. Plus, you can play your games anywhere, and not have to worry nearly as much about the specifications of your device.

Microsoft knows this transition to cloud gaming isn’t going to be instant, so of course the new consoles still have a reason to exist, but the sales numbers for that hardware are hardly going to matter. It’s no longer a “console war”, but a more generic gaming war, and eventually maybe just a service war. And after Microsoft announced its acquisition of Bethesda earlier this week, plus bundling EA Play into Game Pass, it’s clear that it’s willing to put down the money and effort to lead the next generation of gaming. Truth be told, Game Pass is completely unmatched in terms of scope and value.

But I can’t help feeling like I’ve seen a lot of this before in another medium. At the dawn of the 2010s, Netflix was the video streaming service. You’d hardly ever hear about any other service of the kind, and almost any show or movie you could want to watch was on there. And all of that came at the low cost of $9 per month, so there was almost no reason not to use the service.

But eventually, other media companies caught on, and today, the video streaming landscape is a mess. CBS All-Access, Disney+, Peacock, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more are fighting it out, and while most of these haven’t posed a major threat in terms of subscriber numbers, they’ve slowly chipped away at Netflix’s library, pushing the company to create more original content – resulting in more costs and potentially smaller returns.

We’re at the dawn of a new era of gaming, and just like Netflix did 10 years ago, Microsoft is undeniably leading the transition to this new method of bringing games to users. But eventually, other companies will catch on, and Microsoft knows that. I feel like that brings about a ton of questions on how the gaming market will develop, and whether Microsoft will be able to leverage its head-start to stay ahead in the future.

Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, has said that it doesn’t necessarily see Sony and Nintendo as rivals, and instead points to companies like Google, which has its own Stadia service, and Amazon, which just announced its Luna cloud gaming service yesterday. But we're still early in the cloud gaming days, and both Stadia and Luna are from offering the value Microsoft offers with Game Pass Ultimate. Neither of those companies had the experience with building games, or the relationship with existing developers to kickstart a new gaming platform with major experiences on board. A lot of that done has to be done from scratch for these companies, and it will take a while for them to even have the chance to become as attractive as Game Pass Ultimate now is.

But then, what about the companies that do already have these relationships – Sony and Nintendo? An argument that can be made for Google and Amazon entering the race against Microsoft is that those companies have the cloud capacity to back that kind of gaming service, but I don’t think that means they have to create one such service to be successful. Amazon has a major cloud infrastructure, and it does offer Prime Video, but Amazon Web Services are also the backbone of services like Netflix. Amazon is still making money from the streaming market by offering its infrastructure to other services.

So what’s to stop these companies from doing that again with gaming, with Sony and Nintendo coming in to create their own distribution platforms, building on their existing properties and their relationships with existing developers and publishers? I think there’s room for the market to evolve in this way.

When other companies come into the fight, regardless of who they are, Microsoft will have to face a more serious fight, and I wonder if the company can be a leader in that market. Companies will start fighting harder for exclusive titles, and just like Microsoft acquired Bethesda, other big acquisitions could happen to rival it. At some point, the game streaming market will likely go through the same problems we’re seeing today with video streaming, and I’m not sure it will necessarily be better for consumers. You don’t see many shows running on different video subscription services at the same time, and it’s possible that more games will become exclusive to specific services in the future, potentially forcing customers to buy into more services to get access to the games they like.

One last question I have, especially being a Nintendo fan, is what will happen to dedicated gaming hardware. Nintendo is known for two things – making a profit on hardware sales and designing games around specific hardware features. Most games can be played with traditional controllers, but a lot of the experiences Nintendo promotes involve some kind of gimmick exclusive to its hardware. ARMS for the Nintendo Switch used motion controls as its primary control method, and the minigames in something like 1-2-Switch are based on many different Joy-Con features, including motion, the IR camera, and HD rumble. While it’s not impossible to imagine the company developing games with more traditional controls in mind, I feel like that would take away a lot of what makes Nintendo unique. Maybe controllers and accessories can deliver these experiences on different devices, rather than having to be tied to a console, or, who knows, maybe Nintendo will try to live on as a console manufacturer in this new landscape.

Nintendo's ARMS has you throwing punches in real life So, let me pass these questions on to you: how will the gaming market evolve once companies start rivaling Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass? Which companies do you see becoming players in this new landscape, and which ones do you think will drop out? Which ones offer their own services, and which ones will only make games? Will dedicated gaming hardware become unnecessary, particularly in the case of companies like Nintendo, which usually designs many of its games around specific hardware features? Will console exclusives be replaced with service exclusives and make the game streaming market as troublesome as the video streaming market? What do you think? Sound off in the comments and let us know!

• By Usama Jawad96
      Football Manager 2021 is not coming to the PlayStation... because Sony didn't send dev kits
      by Usama Jawad

The Football Manager series has been a staple among fans of the sport as well as people who enjoy simulation games in general. The first title in the series was launched back in 2004 and since then, it has followed a yearly release schedule. Over the past decade or so, it has not launched on any home console.

Now, the latest entry in the series, Football Manager 2021 is finally making its way back to current- and next-gen consoles as well. However, support for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 is notably excluded, only because Sony didn't send dev kits to the developer.

In a blog post, the company has announced that Football Manager 2021 is coming to Steam and Epic Games Store on November 24, and people who purchase it through these storefronts will also get Football Manager 2021 Touch for PC and Mac for free. iOS and Android versions are coming soon too, with the Switch edition expected to arrive before the end of the year.

In a surprise reveal, the game is making a return to Xbox One, Series S, and Series X as well, with optimizations for Xbox controllers in tow along with the ability to carry saves across Windows 10 utilizing Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere technology. This will be the first release of the series on a Microsoft console since 2008. However, a firm release date for the Xbox Edition has not been announced as of yet.

Interestingly, mention of the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 edition is completely absent in the blog post. Responding to curious fans on Twitter, the game's director Miles Jacobson stated that this is because Microsoft "asked" for Football Manager 2021 on Xbox while Sony did not. He further revealed that:

It's quite interesting to see that while Microsoft was proactive about getting an arguably popular title to its current- and next-generation consoles, Sony could seemingly not be bothered to even send dev kits to the developer. With this being the title's first home console release in well over a decade, only time will tell whether the company made the right choice or not. In the meantime, those interested can head over to the pre-order page for Football Manager 2021 here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Going into the next generation, Sony needs to stop its deceptive marketing tactics
      by Usama Jawad

Let me say this right off the bat: When it comes to gaming, I'm platform-agnostic. I'll play on whatever machine offers a decent gaming experience, regardless of whether it's made by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or any PC-maker for that matter. I strongly believe that as long as you're satisfied with the gaming experience offered by a piece of hardware, you should enjoy it regardless of whether it packs the most powerful silicon on the market.

With that out of the way, let's start with the topic on hand. I have mostly played on the PlayStation 4 in this generation and have really enjoyed Sony's exclusives especially God of War, The Last of Us Remastered, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding (which is not a PS4 exclusive anymore), and more. Sony has really built my trust in this generation and while I'm very excited about the budget-friendly Xbox Series S, the PlayStation 5 feels like a no-brainer to me as well given the absolutely incredible PS4 exclusives this generation.

However, before I dip my toes into the next generation of consoles, I need Sony to stop its deceptive marketing tactics which were quite clearly exposed in its PlayStation 5 showcase event earlier this week.

For starters, Sony Interactive Entertainment's Jim Ryan had been making a huge deal for the past few months about how the company believes in console generations. In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz back in May, the executive went on to say:

Notice the emphasis on the PlayStation 5 offering features not possible on the PlayStation 4 at all. Fans were led to believe that games were going to be built ground-up for the next-gen console, offering experiences that the current-gen is not capable of.

Following this statement, when Halo: Infinite was announced as a cross-gen exclusive by Microsoft, the company drew a lot of criticism from the online community, which claimed that the reason for the unimpressive visuals were likely due to the title being held back by current-gen hardware. Soon after this negative reception, Microsoft was forced to delay its highly-anticipated Xbox Series X|S launch title into next year.

Because Sony had so strongly stated that it believes in generations and its games taking full advantage of new hardware, it was praised by many for taking this bold step, unlike Microsoft.

Fast-forward to the Japanese tech giant's showcase event earlier this week, and and most of us learned via prominent game journalist Geoff Keighley - so not even via Sony directly, at first - that three of the company's supposedly exclusive PlayStation 5 titles, namely Horizon: Forbidden West, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and SackBoy A Big Adventure, are also coming to the PlayStation 4. Sony's Jim Ryan explains the company's change of heart as follows:

While I completely agree with Ryan that it simply wouldn't make sense from a business point-of-view to abandon a huge current-gen PlayStation community, it goes against everything the executive has been emphasizing for the past few months. None of these aforementioned titles were announced as cross-gen, and all of Sony's marketing material mention them as PlayStation 5 titles only. The community has noticed this U-turn and is understandably calling out Sony for it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound like an entitled gamer. As the happy owner of a PlayStation 4, it's actually good to know that I'll be able to play upcoming AAA titles without shelling out hundreds of bucks for new hardware.

What's problematic to me is the lack of clear communication from Sony's end. It's disingenuous to customers to have them lambast Microsoft's cross-gen strategy for the past few months and then suddenly announce that you're planning on following that strategy too. Is the current-gen hardware then holding back PlayStation 5 titles too? Is it worth upgrading to the PlayStation 5 so early in the generation's cadence knowing that I'll be able to play most titles on current-gen hardware? I mean, sure, better frames-per-second, ray-tracing, and 4K textures sound like things worth upgrading to, but the absence of those never stopped me from enjoying all the PlayStation 4 exclusives I mentioned at the start of this piece.

At the end of the day, it's the offerings of the game itself that make me stick to certain hardware. If the gameplay of Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Horizon: Forbidden West is good enough for me on the PlayStation 4, maybe I don't even need to buy the PlayStation 5 for these particular games so soon.

Overall, I probably wouldn't have minded this move as much as long as Sony had made stuff like this clear from the start rather than harping about how it believes in console generations. It's the lost trust due to unclear communication that's the problem here, not the games launching with cross-gen capabilities.

But this is not the only place where Sony lost my trust. The other notable instance is the PlayStation 5 pre-orders fiasco. In an interview with Geoff Keighley back in July, Sony Head of Worldwide Marketing Eric Lempel stated that the company would give "plenty of time" before opening pre-orders. During the firm's showcase event earlier this week, no mention was made regarding pre-orders. Some people received emails from Sony with unique URLs to place orders for the PlayStation 5 but there was no mention of this even on the PlayStation Blog.

Keighley once again flew in to save the day and announced that PlayStation 5 pre-orders would open on Thursday, and shortly after, the PlayStation Twitter account also announced the same. Amidst this confusion, it appears some retailers chose to open pre-orders on the same day (that is, Wednesday) and then all hell broke loose, with practically every retailer making their PlayStation 5 listings active with the console being sold out in minutes. So much for the "plenty of time" being offered to customers to place their orders.

The thing is, this wasn't completely or directly Sony's fault. Some trigger-happy retailer decided to open pre-orders early and chaos ensued. The problem is, Sony as a major corporation launching a highly-anticipated should have foreseen this, it should have clearly announced pre-order dates beforehand, and it should have been more than a one-day notice.

Note that as someone who lives in Pakistan where Sony doesn't even officially launch consoles, the pre-order fiasco doesn't even bother me directly. What bothers me about this is that this is yet another instance of Sony's lack of clear communication. Due to the company's mishandling of the situation and not providing customers crystal-clear instructions, potentially hundreds of thousands of customers around the globe weren't even given a chance to be among the first to get their hands on the console come November, simply because they believed that Sony would indeed be giving them ample notice, as promised.

In the other camp, Microsoft is now capitalizing on Sony's misfires, and rightly so. It has poked fun at Sony's pre-order snafu, and just recently and clearly announced pre-order dates in various countries. With pre-orders starting on September 22, this is what I call "plenty of time" to decide whether you want to lighten your wallet right now or wait a bit.

Similarly, the company has also uploaded videos on its Xbox YouTube channel, highlighting Quick Resume and faster loading times capabilities on the Series S. Note that these videos highlight the power of the less-powerful $299 console, not the $499 Series X. To me, this is the epitome of confidence from Microsoft's part about its faith in its upcoming consoles as well as a very clear message to customers about the benefits they can expect from investing in the company's machines. One can safely assume that the performance on the Xbox Series X will be better. This is something that instills confidence for potential customers, and it's all thanks to the company's transparent communication over the past few months. Sure you might not like the titles available on the Series X|S consoles, and that is fine, but at least you know exactly what you're getting when you buy either of the two machines. This clarity has been missing from most of Sony's marketing material.

That said, there's still almost two months before the PlayStation 5 launches. Instead of making claims that it can't back up with its games and events, the company should instead focus on clearly telling consumers what they can expect when they purchase a PlayStation 5. The latest antics from the company have definitely fanned flames of "console wars" among the gaming community and are good for marketing, but they ultimately harm Sony's image when it can't live up to its promises. Right now, almost every Tweet by the PlayStation Twitter account is being criticized for how the company handled the pre-orders situation, and the frustration is understandable. With the next generation just around the corner, it isn't smart to alienate a loyal playerbase.

While these latest snafus by Sony don't turn me away from the PlayStation 5 (I really want to play God of War: Ragnarok!), but the firm's - unintentionally or intentionally - deceptive marketing tactics have diminished my trust, which means that I'll have to be very careful with setting expectations for next-gen, because I can't take anything Sony says at face value anymore.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Poll: Which next-generation console are you interested in buying?
      by Usama Jawad

The next generation of consoles is just around the corner, and we are now aware of almost all the important details including specifications, features, launch titles, value for money, pricing, and availability.

From Sony's end, we have two offerings: the PlayStation 5 and the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition. These siblings are the same in almost every aspect including a 3.5GHz octa-core AMD Ryzen Zen 2 CPU, a 10TFLOPS GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 RAM, a custom 825GB SSD, and games targeting up to 4K 120Hz video output. The only difference between the two consoles is that the standard PlayStation 5 packs an Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive, while the Digital Edition does not. The pre-orders situation has been messy so far, but the consoles officially launch starting on November 12 with price tags of $499 for PlayStation 5 and $399 for the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition.

Over in Microsoft's camp, the situation is quite different. We have two consoles, namely the Xbox Series X and the Series S, but both pack considerably different hardware and are intended for different audiences.

The more powerful Series X packs a 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT) octa-core custom Zen 2 CPU, a 12TFLOPS GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 RAM, a custom 1TB SSD with Xbox Velocity Architecture, and games targeting up to 4K 120Hz video output. It also packs an Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

Meanwhile the less powerful Xbox Series S differs with a 3.6GHz (3.4GHz with SMT) custom Zen 2 CPU, 4TFLOPS GPU, 10GB of GDDR6 RAM, a custom 512GB SSD with the same architecture as its sibling, and games targeting up to 1440p 120Hz video output. It lacks an Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive as well and is meant to be an all-digital console.

Given their differing internals, the Series X is priced at $499 while the budget-friendly Series S sports a price tag of $299. Pre-orders for Microsoft's offerings start from September 22, with the consoles officially launching on November 10.

With potential customers such as Neowin readers now aware of what the tech behemoths are offering, their price tags, availability, and bang for your buck, we are interested to know: which console are you looking to buy come holiday season or later? Do you have eyes on multiple consoles rather than sticking with a single option in this generation?

Let us know by voting in the poll below (multiple options can be selected)! We're also interested to know the reasoning behind your choice so feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section!