• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Audio Advice Please?

Brodel    14

Hi,

My computer has been a pain regarding 5.1 surround pretty much since I first built it. I have an Asus A8N-E board but decided to use a Creative Soundblaster 5.1 card. I originally used a Creative Soundblaster that came with a Dell. The Dell also came with these speakers. I sold the Dell including the creative card before building my current computer because I figured the speakers would work on the AS8N-E onboard sound. They don't, so I purchased another Creative soundblaster from ebay and it works, but only partly. This might be something to do with the speakers coming with a Dell setup and possibly a specific Dell/Creative soundcard? I'm not sure.

For example creative's own drivers are not an option, it only seems to work with KX audio drivers. This means I have no true EAX because KX Drivers don't support it.

Today Battlefield 2 started acting up and I started playing with the sound settings and got partial EAX working. The game is awesome with it, but bottom line is my setup can't handle it as far as I can tell.

What I want is good 5.1 sound for games with working EAX and a good system to play music though. Just this day I was looking at amps and speakers to buy for a separate setup to play my music on before BF2 started playing up so I'm wondering what my best solution is.

Do I buy a basic separates package like Hi-Fi system #2 here for my MP3's and a new soundcard so that I can run 5.1 in games through the Dell speakers (assuming these current speakers will work with it?) Or do I buy a new soundcard and a new set of PC speakers that will play music and games?

The whole reason I was about to buy separates was because I wanted a dedicated setup to play my music on some nice wall mounted speakers and I don't know how PC setups rate against dedicated setups?

Sorry this is such a long and probably confusing post, but any advice/help is appreciated.

goji    30

Granted I'm in the states, but have you a budget for what your looking at doing? I'm assuming your interested in a good stereo system for now and then upgrade to 5.1 or do you want to jump into 5.1 on a budget? If you go for a quality system with upgrades over time your will spend more cash but have a higher quality setup and experience in the long run.

I would check with Creative/Dell customer support to help trouble shoot the problem with you to see where the source of your problem lies. From there then you'll have options.

Hope that helps.

Brodel    14

I don't really want to spend more than around 200 really. After thinking about it, I'd like to keep the speakers I have for gaming and then buy a separates system for music.

If I were to buy a Creative Audigy 2 ZS, would I be able to hook my current speakers up to it (they have a black, yellow and green cable coming from them) and then if I purchase Hi-Fi #2 from the link above, would I be able to attach that to the sound card and then switch to that to play music from my computer when I wasn't gaming (without having to unplug anything)?

Also, the Audigy 2 Zs is compatible with Vista isn't it? Or would I be better off in the long run by going for something like an X-Fi card?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm pretty clueless about sound cards.

Brodel    14

On second thoughts, I could stretch to a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music. If that improves the sound quality of my music and games, then that will do for a while whilst I save for a separates system?

goji    30

You can build a great little system without breaking the bank by shopping for name brand audio equipment on the used market; deals can be had!

I'm sure anything you buy will allow for some connectivity with you PC, just a stereo line cable into the receiver unit and your set. I've been told to stay away from Creative due to bad driver support and I hear Asus makes some good audio cards. Check each website for specific models and they should state if they are or are not Vista compatible. Shop around and have fun!

+Fahim S.    1,087

It really isn't a bad idea if you are on budget to buy your kit second had, if it has no moving parts (i.e. no CD or DVD players).

Brodel    14

Thanks guys. I've actually picked up a secondhand AV amp which will arrive tomorrow and I plan to hook up some Wharfedale 9.1 speakers to it.

I have a question regarding the best way to connect my PC to the amp though. My motherboard is an Asus A8N-E

13-131-530-01.jpg

The board doesn't have a headphones out at the front and neither does the soundcard (SB Live 5.1) there is a port at the front but the motherboard does have spdif coaxial which I'd rather connect to the amp which seems possible unless I'm completely missing something?

540R_Dos_L.jpg

My problem is that I use the creative card for gaming so want to keep that for the eax effects. If I play music through foobar I can select the output... sb live or nvidia onboard.... the only thing is there isn't anything to specify that I want the audio coming out of the coaxial in foobar or in the nv mixer. Is this just something that happens automatically and I don't need to set?

+Fahim S.    1,087

To my knowledge, it will come out of both...