Rumor: PS3 in store for yet another price drop?

Several posters at SlickDeals.net are reporting that the PS3 may have yet another price drop towards the end of the month. Many are rumoring that a $299 PS3 will be announced on January 28. SlickDeals.net is a website dedicated to providing consumers with the latest prices in electronics, breaking the news of both of the previous PS3 price drops and the 360 price drop a few weeks early, along with the CheapAssGamer forums.

Though it does seem early for this to occur, Sony did recently announce that the price of manufacturing of the PS3 did drop from $800 per unit at the launch to $400 currently. This is mainly due to the success of Blu Ray, especially with Warner Bros. going Blu Ray exclusive earlier this month. Now there are also rumors that Paramount found a loophole in their HD DVD exclusivity contract and will be going Blu Ray as well - leaving Universal and Dreamworks as the only remaining HD DVD studios.

Financially, the price cut makes sense, consoles have historically been sold at a loss until the tail end of their lifetime. The only consoles not sold at a loss are the Sega Saturn(sold at the price to manufacture) and the Nintendo Wii(sold at a $100 profit for Nintendo). Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony make most of its money off of game licensing, not the actual console. For every game released, they developer must pay $10,000 worth of licensing fees to Sony(its traditionally been $20,000 for all 3 companies, but this was another cut Sony made to encourage developers recently). They also make a bulk of their profit from peripherals, like memory cards and controllers.

Still, I personally think it may be a bit too early for another price cut.

News Source: Exgen

Edited by Tech Star

A $ 299 PS3? That's cheaper than an iPhone and is only ? 206. A huge price drop compared to the current ? 399. However I do see the WiFi going away for that price and that wouldn't be cool.

A $ 299 PS3? That's cheaper than an iPhone and is only € 206. A huge price drop compared to the current € 399. However I do see the WiFi going away for that price and that wouldn't be cool.
if they only converted just like you :p

Glassed Silver:mac

playstation-3-game-console2.jpg

Several posters at SlickDeals.net are reporting that the PS3 may have yet another price drop towards the end of the month. Many are rumoring that a $299 PS3 will be announced on January 28. SlickDeals.net is a website dedicated to providing consumers with the latest prices in electronics, breaking the news of both of the previous PS3 price drops and the 360 price drop a few weeks early, along with the CheapAssGamer forums.

Though it does seem early for this to occur, Sony did recently announce that the price of manufacturing of the PS3 did drop from $800 per unit at the launch to $400 currently. This is mainly due to the success of Blu Ray, especially with Warner Bros. going Blu Ray exclusive earlier this month. Now there are also rumors that Paramount found a loophole in their HD DVD exclusivity contract and will be going Blu Ray as well - leaving Universal and Dreamworks as the only remaining HD DVD studios.

Financially, the price cut makes sense, consoles have historically been sold at a loss until the tail end of their lifetime. The only consoles not sold at a loss are the Sega Saturn(sold at the price to manufacture) and the Nintendo Wii(sold at a $100 profit for Nintendo). Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony make most of its money off of game licensing, not the actual console. For every game released, they developer must pay $10,000 worth of licensing fees to Sony(its traditionally been $20,000 for all 3 companies, but this was another cut Sony made to encourage developers recently). They also make a bulk of their profit from peripherals, like memory cards and controllers.

Still, I personally think it may be a bit too early for another price cut.

Source: http://exgn.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/rumor...her-price-drop/

While I think $299 will be the price Sony should hit this year, I do agree January is too early - For Sony, and even for us (I'll explain).

A price drop to $299 would make sense at the release of a AAA title like MGS/LBP/KZ2 or after something like the release of Home.

People would buy this in January at that price, no doubt, but it still wouldn't sell as much as it would surrounding a game release.... But on that note, a $299 profile 1.1 Blu Ray player would sell well! :yes:

What do you guys think?

Edit after merge:

Super speedy mod to the rescue (Y)

That receipt is interesting :o Could be open box or something? Or just plain fake?

I can see how this makes sense. The 40gb Spiderman Bundle was supposed to be a "Limited Edition" now Sony will come out without the Spiderman "bundle" and sell the 40gb for $299. It's definitely a possibility and makes perfect sense to me. That's why I don't think we will see a "new model" PS3, most likely just a $100 drop on the 40gb, and maybe even the 80gb model. :D

But no question about it $299 means AMAZING sale numbers. Buh-bye 360! ;) JK haha

if they only converted just like you :p

Glassed Silver:mac

True but sad point. :(

ugh...of course. I just bought one a month ago...

Return policy and then get a new one in another shop?

ugh...of course. I just bought one a month ago...

You know what, I actually thought of that thread of yours :laugh:

If it happens, just need to bite the bullet mate :/

The price PS3's are going for just now is reasonable for what you are getting (gaming and blu ray), and not to worry, I'm very wary of this happening.

Wouldn't GDC be better for an annoucement like this? And even then, an announcement at GDC for a drop to $299 for the release of MGS4 and a MGS4 bundle for something like $329?

In saying that though, Sony might be trying to completely nuke HD-DVD off the face of the planet, and reducing the PS3 quicker for that reason.

They will know with all the press surrounding Blu Ray just now, a gamble of bringing the price down earlier than planned may = huge sales for people going after Blu Ray. I say it's a gamble as, by going down in price this soon, they will further the hit they are taking on each PS3 sold - Hadn't they just broke even? (manufacture $400, sell at $400?)

Heh, yeah I'm not too worried about it. I'm just thinking about the amount of alcohol or other stuff I could have bought with that $100 haha. :laugh:

Edit after merge:

Super speedy mod to the rescue (Y)

Lol, that was super quick, I was replyign just after you posted with this topic, but I couldn't as it got merged so quickly.

As to the topic, if they can get the price down again and not lose too much themselves, then i'm all for it, I welcome a price drop, whether I got mine a month ago or not, I would love more people to buy a PS3.

A price drop and the anticipated games for this year, it would really get a lot of consoles out there.

a price drop may be just what Sony needs to take Microsoft.

But yeah, it is pretty early - usually (as Audioboxer said) these things happen around big releases or holiday seasons.

guess only time will tell

For $299 I would consider buying one. But whats the deal with the Blu-Ray Profile 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 crap? Does that mean the PS3 won't play the '2.0' discs or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Player_profiles :)

The great thing about the PS3 is that it can be updated via firmware so when a new Blu-Ray profile comes out you will be able to upgrade to the newest profile. now if you bought a stand alone Blu-Ray player you cannot upgrade to the latest profile. :)

For $299 I would consider buying one. But whats the deal with the Blu-Ray Profile 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 crap? Does that mean the PS3 won't play the '2.0' discs or something?

The ps3 will play 2.0 discs. It will just a firmware upgrade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Player_profiles :)

The great thing about the PS3 is that it can be updated via firmware so when a new Blu-Ray profile comes out you will be able to upgrade to the newest profile. now if you bought a stand alone Blu-Ray player you cannot upgrade to the latest profile. :)

Not true for everyone of them, im pretty sure.

Not true for everyone of them, im pretty sure.

unless they have internet access built into them they cannot upgrade.\ or unless they buy a new Blu-Ray player that has 2.0 in it. But I dont think people would want to buy a new player every time a new profile comes out lol

unless they have internet access built into them they cannot upgrade.\ or unless they buy a new Blu-Ray player that has 2.0 in it. But I dont think people would want to buy a new player every time a new profile comes out lol

That's not true. You can burn cd's or dvd's with the firmware on it in some cases and update that way.

That's not true. You can burn cd's or dvd's with the firmware on it in some cases and update that way.

Yes, but profile 2.0 requires the player to have an ethernet port..

Cant get that through a cd/dvd :D