Sharepoint vs. Dreamweaver cs3?

Question

Sharepoint (Microsoft's rename of Frontpage) vs Dreamweaver cs3.

Which do you use, prefer, and why?

The reason I am asking is I am planning on restarting my freelancing web design again. When I stopped 3 years ago, I was using Dreamweaver MX, and very much hating on Frontpage 2003. Now that Microsoft has a new version of their website design program, and people touting Dreamweaver cs3's awesomeness, I am curious what people here think.

17 answers to this question

The reason I am asking is I am planning on restarting my freelancing web design again. When I stopped 3 years ago, I was using Dreamweaver MX, and very much hating on Frontpage 2003. Now that Microsoft has a new version of their website design program, and people touting Dreamweaver cs3's awesomeness, I am curious what people here think.

Neither Windows Sharepoint Server or Office Sharepoint are web development products, ala Frontpage. They are more collaberation portals, if you will.

That said, I'm not a web developer by any means, but use what you're familiar with, that way you can complete tasks faster, and make more money.

I hate to say but notepad still the best.

Regarding WYSIWYG software, each had it own flaws in a way. If you not collaborating on your web development, don't use sharepoint. It hogs about 30% of your resource on checking in and out cueing your editing version.

I do use dreamweaver on some project of mine; like basic layout then I would just copy and paste the code to good old notepad++ and finish the project.

You can't say which one better because neither one stand out. Dreamweaver users will lean toward DW and SP users will vote for Sharepoint. They are all pricy piece of software just for freelancing. Why not just use the belove favorite Notepad, which include in every OS for free.

i use to use note pad but i find that dream weaver does a great job and if you are doing free lance work dream weaver will help you stay organized and manage all you assets.

Personally, I use Dreamweaver, but that's just because my company paid for it. I don't even do too much HTML, I'm more of a PHP kind of coder. I like Dreamweaver, but my one and only love will always be Eclipse, with the PHPEclipse plugin. It's just awesome, and code completion is unbeatable.

I use TopStyle - text editor with some great features like syntax highlighting, html/css code completion and so on. I used to swear by Dreamweaver but it drives me crazy trying to use it (or any

what you see..." tool) these days.

I believe Aragorn is referring to SharePoint Designer. WSS and MOSS are server based collaboration environments. Sharepoint Designer is one of the replacements for Frontpage and was designed to support editing master pages within MOSS. Expressions Web was created as a replacement for Frontpage to allow web designers to build robust CSS based web sites.

As a MOSS Architect I use Designer because of the support for MOSS but for better control I also use Dreamweaver. It all depends on what you like and how you use it.

i thought expression web was frontpage's replacement?

It is, but Microsoft wanted to differentiate between basic web page authoring and MOSS development. So, they decided to create two products and have Designer posses the ability to modify SharePoint.

i thought expression web was frontpage's replacement?

Yeah, thats what I meant.

But that makes more sense, haha. Yeah when I used Dreamweaver, I would create it via view mode, then went to html mode to clean it up.

I use Dreamweaver 8.02 [Coder interface]. It helps me stay organized. Auto complete is something I couldn't live without. Validate, Find and replace across many pages are few of the many features I find very useful. I also use php designer from time to time. But Dreamweaver gets my vote. Once you get used to a piece of software especially something that you use very often its hard to switch to something else.

Yeah, Notepad kicks ass (well, pretend Notepad) but Dreamweaver works just as well on a system where performance isn't an issue. It's good too because I work between PCs and Macs and Dreamweaver is pretty much the same on either and I don't have to be in separate mindsets between platforms. App helpers like code completion and reference, etc are just too good to pass up too. When InType gets its A in to G, it'll definitely be my editor of choice.

Dreamweaver is great because of good color coding, etc... Notepad is great for quick things, but color coding helps when you have less time and need to get to something asap.

But yeah, if time is an issue, Dreamweaver is best. You can also have snippets and other stuff so you don't have to repeat same code on other pages, which would be a PITA in Notepad.

I really like Expression Web, to me it's less cluttered than dreamweaver and just as powerful.

you can hide all the toolbars in dreamweaver. just modify the workspace

i have no panels showing and got rid of the top menubar.

I never really like frontpage because of its nasty habits... you know generating poor codes. Now Micrsoft released these new softwares and they really broke frontpage into two different products. If you look at the feature closely you will see what I mean.

By all means use Dreamweaver and the latest version is better than ever.

Notepad/Metapad or whatever pad you use depends on your personal choice. To me I use Dreamweaver to code, and use the View to see what changes are happening right away instead of refreshing the browser and eating extra few ram :p.

Since you have been out for 3 years, might wanna dig the following things.

XHTML, AJAX, PHP Framework by Zend, and web 2.0 templates :p.