• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

.DMG?

LilSnoop40    6

hi, i currently have a computer that runs windows xp. i am getting a mac powerbook this weekend. i have some files now on my windows pc that are in .dmg format... what program do i burn this with?

thanks

RedFlow    0

I am not a Mac user but I can tell you .dmg format is the files that are pretty much what a .exe is in Windows. They install programs.

(Forgive me if I am wrong)

instant.human    45

kinda right.

they are disc images that osx kinda "mounts" when you click on them.

they contain installers or just programs, as with osx you dont really "install" programs, you just dragndrop them, most of the time.

LilSnoop40    6

but for windows how do i burn that file to a disc?

instant.human    45

you can download a trial of "transmac". i never tried it but heard some voices telling you can burn dmgs with that.

null_    4

You could just burn them to a disc on the Windows system and then put it into the PowerBook and double-click on the .DMG files which should mount them in the Finder. From there you'll be able to install or use whatever is inside of the .DMG file. I've done this, works a treat.

instant.human    45

^thats more easy, certainly. :)

Wannes    38
You could just burn them to a disc on the Windows system and then put it into the PowerBook and double-click on the .DMG files which should mount them in the Finder. From there you'll be able to install or use whatever is inside of the .DMG file. I've done this, works a treat.

Indeed, you can create a data disc with Nero or something containing your *.dmg files.

LilSnoop40    6

thx

RedFlow    0

You could always save yourself some time and just slap them on a Jump Drive.

CPressland    176

And why not call it the universally know name of Flash Drive?

LilSnoop40    6

on my windows pc i have 12 .dmg files. how do i convert them into one file to be burnt then used on my mac. sorry dont' know how to use the mac...

Galley    1
on my windows pc i have 12 .dmg files. how do i convert them into one file to be burnt then used on my mac. sorry dont' know how to use the mac...

Copy them to a blank CD, or a USB flash drive. Once they're on your Mac, simply double-click them to mount them. Most of the time you will get a file that you simply drag to your Applications folder to install. Sometimes these disc images contain aliases (shortcuts) to the Applications folder, making it that much easier. :D

Here's an example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37s/122648943/

Menge    33

ok let me get this thread straight ;)

DMGs are like Disk iMaGes. in OS X all you have to do to open them is double click them. It's pretty straightforward.

regarding your question: if the DMG doesn't need to be burned alone to a disk (as in... if it's not bootable and stuff like that), then i wouldn't even bother converting them. just burn the files and they'll be VERY easily accessible on any mac that you pop the disc on. burn them to the discs as separate files from windows and that'll do the trick :)

LilSnoop40    6

i just burnt the 12 .dmg files to a disc using nero. when i put the disc in my mac it says my mac.... can't open any of them.. new to mac

giga    45
i just burnt the 12 .dmg files to a disc using nero. when i put the disc in my mac it says my mac.... can't open any of them.. new to mac

That's odd. You don't have a flash drive handy? Transfer them over the network?

Simon    177

Are you sure they are .dmg's and not something else? If you're new to Mac, I don't know why you would have them lying around anyway...

LilSnoop40    6

they are .dmg's on the mac i am trying to put them on run leopard.

Simon-    492

DMGs - Disk Images - are the Mac OS X equivalent of ISO images on a Windows system

The major different - or rather the major source of confusion - Is that Max OS X includes a built-in shell handler to automatically mount a DMG image as a local disk when you double-click on it.

DMGs are very popular because Mac OS X applications (.app) are very different from Windows applications (.exe) in the way that Mac OS X applications are NOT single files, but rather a folder (that is not compiled).

Inside that folder, the binaries and other supporting libraries are contained. Mac OS X's Finder (equivalent to Windows Explorer) gives the appearance that their are single files by not giving any obvious indication that you can browse inside those folders even though they really are. Mac OS X's finder also replaces the icon of the folder with an icon image that is contained in a subdirectory in the Application folder.

For this reason - That applications are folders and not files - The Application needs to be distributed in a container that supports holding a directory structure.

Shell integration of .ZIP files are not as good as it is in Windows, but the Mac OS X implementation of .DMG Disk images are in some ways better than the .ZIP implementation in Windows. For Example, it's possible to customise the appearance of the root directory of the DMG Disk Image to including custom branding of the application.

It is completely possible to burn the DMG itself to disk (rather than the contents of the image), so that when you access the disk in Mac OS X and then double-click the DMG, the DMG will automatically mount itself as another drive.

suicide_pact    5

Just think of them as any data files or compressed files, such as .zip or .rar files. I would suggest putting them all into one folder and then burn that folder to to cd or dvd, or drag and drop to a flash drive.