'Run' commands

Hi,

Im brand new !! ....... using XP pro. Ive a folder which requires an attribute change - 'Read Only'. Going to the folder preferences and unchecking the Read only button does not work (An idiosyncracy of XP Pro I think. So, In 'Run' I've typed cmd, and at the resulting >

I've typed attrib@-r@C:\Documents@and@Settings\jon@letemps\_Mail. (Where @ are the spaces plus the route to the _Mail folder.

The answer is usually "paprameter format not correct". Ive tried several variations (space/no spaces) but with no luck. Help please.

Try

attrib -r "C:\Documents and Settings\jon letemps\_Mail"

Quote the path, because it contains spaces.

Thanks for that. Didnt work!! I presume the command and path are typed after a C> prompt??

not the default one which comes up C:\Documents and Settings\jon letemps ???

The folders themselves are always going to be Read Only. The contents inside should change from Read Only. It's a wierd thing in XP/2003.

Found this:

Folders in Windows XP cannot be read-only. Windows will never display a regular

check-mark in the read-only box when you open a folders properties, unless the folder

is on a read-only disc such as a CD-ROM. Normally you should see a greyed out check

mark, a green square, or whatever symbol your theme uses.

As Microsoft would say: "This is by design."

The square (or greyed out check mark) for a folder means NOTHING, NO CHANGE, WAITING

FOR YOU TO USE ME. This is because the read-only box in a folder's properties is

only used to apply or remove the read-only setting from all of the folder's files

at once. If you clear the box and click Apply, then the files in the folder will

be cleared of any read-only attributes they have. Like wise for checking the box

to apply the attribute to all files. The square reappears the next time because,

once again, you haven't used it.

FOLDERS do NOT have a functional read-only attribute in Windows. The read-only attribute

is only for files. The read-only check-box for folder properties is a bad and confusing

design. If you want to avoid read-only confusion, check individual files, ignore

folders.

Windows file systems actually use the read-only attribute for a folder to make it

customizeable, but the checkbox in a folder's properties has nothing to do with that.

You cannot prevent a folder's contents from being changed using the read-only attribute.

You can read more about that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;326549

Edited by t_r_nelson