Is Vista the new ME!

RTM was fine, SP1 made it better and yeh, SP2 made XP excellent for everyday-use. SP3 will make XP an excellent package, but everyone is (or at least will be) switching to Vista soon.

RTM and SP1 were fine? Do you remember how many compatabilty problem the sp's had with programs and how many programs they broke. A lot of big companies held off on upgrading for months because of this.

RTM and SP1 were fine? Do you remember how many compatabilty problem the sp's had with programs and how many programs they broke. A lot of big companies held off on upgrading for months because of this.

He probably forgot about Sasser too.

I really was leaning to the "Vista is the new ME" thing, but I just got done building a PC with all the latest tech ....Core2Quad, Nvidia 8800GTS 512oc, etc and I now see how friggin excellent Vista really is. Vista blows the doors off XP in every category on a current tech machine. Im done with XP...I was dual booting before because I found myself really frustrated with Vista at times, no more...I cant believe it, but I am really loving Vista now. XP is gone.. wiped from its partition. Vista is flying solo now.

I really was leaning to the "Vista is the new ME" thing, but I just got done building a PC with all the latest tech ....Core2Quad, Nvidia 8800GTS 512oc, etc and I now see how friggin excellent Vista really is. Vista blows the doors off XP in every category on a current tech machine. Im done with XP...I was dual booting before because I found myself really frustrated with Vista at times, no more...I cant believe it, but I am really loving Vista now. XP is gone.. wiped from its partition. Vista is flying solo now.

Congrats :D It really is great.

Now, I vote that this thread be closed to avoid any further "problems" that may arise :)

So instead of opening a thread in Windows Vista Support asking for help as to why the issues (bad fps) are occuring (probably bad driver installation), you post a stupid thread about how Vista is bad? That's pretty unproductive.

OP: You're doing it wrong.

I tested Vista in Alpha, then Beta and finally got RTM. So I have been using it for some time.

I have been fairly impressed with it on the whole, but started to get a bit annoyed with it when Windows Explorer started to crash for no reason. (I know about the right click problems etc that may cause this) I turned off UAC and it appears to have gone away.

I have also noted that my games are crap in Vista, and this is the new stuff UT3, Crysis, Dirt etc. With the hardware I have (see sig) my games should fly, well they don?t. UT3 has started to crash on me for some reason and it is really annoying.

I do a lot of testing so I have a number of hard drives (SATA) and a caddie that I can interchange the drives.

Because of the annoying state of my games, I decided to put in a new hard drive and install Win XP. The install went very smoothly as I would expect. I installed all my games and configured them to the max. They all played great, everything worked, and the images were fantastic, frame rates were great, game play was just unbelievable and 100% better then Vista.

Now, is it just me or is Vista a bit of a dog?? Is it today?s version of ME which was equally poor at everything and had me reaching for my Win98 disks.

I didn?t think that Vista was going to be a pain and thought that it was going to be an improvement over XP, but even though Vista has its nice visuals, (just like ME spooky enough) it isn?t up to the job and XP would be a better bet. Even with the RTM SP1 installed in Vista, it works a little better, but nothing fantastic and quite honest a little disappointing. If this is the standard of the SP1, then all the people that MS want to move onto Vista, well they are not going to bother.

We had to wait for MS to get things right when they rushed out ME which was bad, very bad, because they thought that they needed something new. Well Vista appears to have been in the same vein, so should we be looking towards the next OS to come out of the door as this may be the next XP which we thought that Vista was going to be.

you = /fail

Answer = no

Go away.

WOW.

this has got to be the 3rd or 4th thread ive seen here calling vista the new ME....

GET A LIFE.

vista is fine, any problems your having are most likely due to drivers.

you should be asking for help with the problems instead of making yourself look like a fool.

WOW.

this has got to be the 3rd or 4th thread ive seen here calling vista the new ME....

GET A LIFE.

vista is fine, any problems your having are most likely due to drivers.

you should be asking for help with the problems instead of making yourself look like a fool.

I agree... Vista is NO ME that is for sure. I am been running Vista a year now and ZERO problems. Far better than XP problems I had.

Windows Vista certainly is better in a lot of areas when compared to Windows XP, especially with things like Disk I/O. Try copying a lot of files from an external USB hard drive in Windows XP, and then try it again in Windows Vista, you're going to notice that your computer doesn't slow down as much because of how Windows Vista handles Disk I/O operations. Newer technology (like quad core processors, NVIDIA 8 series GPUs, etc) also runs better under Windows Vista because the operating system takes advantage of the processing power these products provide whereas Windows XP was not meant to.

With that being said, it's not for everyone. Some people still prefer the user interface of Windows XP. You'll see a lot of things like "Windows Vista sucks" all over the place, but if you take a look at every time a new Windows release comes out, you will notice the same pattern.

I run Vista on a pretty low machine by todays standards:

AMD Sempron 3400+

2 gb PC3200 Ream

7600gt AGP

I've had no problems what so ever with Vista.

Vista isn't the problem, it's the person using it!

How many of the issues listed on the INTARWEBZ are actually still in Vista? 1%?

Slow file transfer: Fixed

Overall bad performance: Fixed

No drivers (which wasn't ever MS's fault to begin with): Largely fixed

Congrats :D It really is great.

Now, I vote that this thread be closed to avoid any further "problems" that may arise :)

If you do gaming it's terrible compared to XP, for everything else i agree...it's a great OS.

I run Vista on a pretty low machine by todays standards:

AMD Sempron 3400+

2 gb PC3200 Ream

7600gt AGP

I've had no problems what so ever with Vista.

Vista isn't the problem, it's the person using it!

"Vista isn't the problem, it's the person using it!"

QFT

@ Hell_Of_Doom

I have had NO gaming problems in vista. Orange Box, F.E.A.R., COD 4, Crysis, Bioshock all run perfectly.

If you do gaming it's terrible compared to XP, for everything else i agree...it's a great OS.

I completely agree! however, Vista is improving in the gaming department (slowly but surely) some of my newer games that run like crap in Vista, now run much better (still not on par with XP, but definetly getting there). I reckon by this time next year, Vista should be at least on par with XP in terms of gaming performace (I know it is already for some people, I just mean it'll be much wider spread)

How many of the issues listed on the INTARWEBZ are actually still in Vista? 1%?

Slow file transfer: Fixed

Overall bad performance: Fixed

No drivers (which wasn't ever MS's fault to begin with): Largely fixed

File transfer is still way slower compared to XP. I can say that cause i just went back to xp64 and i can compare the file transfer in the same network environment + transfer between USB and HDD.

Overall Vista performs good, but in games is behind XP. Examples: Crysis, UT3, Bioshock etc...

I agree that it's largely fixed as far as drivers, but they are not that good. SLI sucks in Vista. Is it because Nvidia is unable to write it correctly or Vista is a terrible OS for multi GPU platform? After over a year i'm sure Nvidia would do it right, but still didn't or couldn't. Same for crossfire.

You forgot to mention sound support in Vista. It's so sad that Microsoft went the way they did cause sound in Vista sucks. Finally i can hear right under XP.

Overall Vista is solid OS with Windows ME life span cause of some major mistakes they did in there.

I have to mention Superfetch. I used it for 8 months never disabled it along with UAC. I have to say that compared to XP right now doesn't give you a single benefit. XP is still more responsive and lunches application quicker then Vista on the same system with the same software and games installed. Overall DISK I/O speed is way faster in XP, cause i know it when i start installation of the app or game XP finishes it way faster then Vista. I asked myself what is a big deal with Superfetch?

Real 11 Audio lunches instantly under XP and in Vista i can count the seconds before it displays...and things like that.

There is one thing where Vista really does better then XP. In cases where your app or window hangs for some reason, Vista finds a way around it but XP frozes totally.

I'm also not sure what is the purpose of Readyboost, haven't seen any benefits from it.

Edited by Hell_Of_Doom

So go back to XP, or Windows 95 or something. Or use Linux. We don't care really.

I'm waiting for Windows 7. I might give a try to Vista SP1 later this year...

Only someone who had never used ME (or has forgotten how bad it was...but i find that unlikely) could post such a topic.

ME was hate in your face, Vista is but a restless child in comparison.

I also remember the first incarnation of XP...boy, did that suck (albeit much less than ME). But look at it now, it's not only reliable, but a pleasure to work with.