Deciding between two cameras

So I am deciding either a Canon 10.1 MP Digital Rebel XTi SLR or a Nikon 10.2 MP D40x Digital SLR Camera. They both have similar features and specs but the Canon is a little cheaper then the Nikon. What do you guys think?

I really can't claim to be an expert, but I've used a few Canon products and a few Nikon products, and both have impressed me.

That said, I've used more Canon products than Nikon and have been consistently satisfied. Coupled with the reputation the Rebel has as a high-quality camera, that leads me to suggest the Rebel.

I really doubt you can go wrong here, but I'll officially cast my vote for the Canon.

Thanks. Also what about the Sony Alpha 10.2MP DSLR-A100K. It also has similar specs but it has 18-70mm lenses rather then 55mm.

By the way my budget is some where around $700 lol.

Out of the two, I'll vote for the Canon XTi, or if you can wait a little longer, the new XSi ;)

If you want to hear my advice... I was at the same boat few months ago, after many weeks of extensive research, I settled on an Olympus E-510 with the 2 kit lens (14-42 and 40-150, according to reviews, two of the best kit lens with any camera you can get) for $650 and I can't be any happier! Check reviews to know about the full features and comparison to similarly priced cameras (including the XTi):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE510/

The Canon XTi is a great DSLR as well, a friend of mine have one and I used it several times, but just to give you something to think about...

EDIT: Oh and forget the Sony! XTi, D40x, E-510 are all a better buy IMHO.

i would get a 400D or just save for the 450D.

i have a D40 and the only thing i hate about it is the slow AF motor, like mentioned above. i dont know how many pictures i missed cause the AF wouldnt focus fast enough on my subject.

Don't get me wrong though, the D40 is a nice camera. But if your going to be shooting fast moving subjects i would look into a different camera.

I have a Nikon d80 and I just love it, but if you are looking at the d40 go with canon, just because what the our friends before mentioned the lack of internal AF motor limits your lens selection.

thanks guys so now I am thinking about OlympusE510 w/ 2 lens kit vs the canon. So far I am leaning towards the e510 because of the price and 150mm lens lol. would it be a good buy?

I can assure you it's a good buy in this price range, best bang for your buck period. Did you read the reviews? anything you don't like about the E-510? anything in the Canon XTi you don't see in Olympus? it's your decision but I'll be happy to reply any question you have regarding the E-510 (to an extent though :D) since I own it :)

Also wait for other input from forum members, they helped me a lot in my decision (Y).

thanks for all your inputs guys. i like the e510 but i read some reviews and they say that it has a slow AF so i dont know. i want to buy a dslr because i want to learn about pro photography. i saw a deal on pentax k10d camera.. so now i am thinking about that too.

i've been thinking that canon xti has compactflash but pentax has SD. also the sales guy tells me that pentax has more pro features then canon and olympus. is that true? so compared with canon xti, olympus e510, and pentax k10d, which one would be a better choice? not for price choice, but for features.

thanks for all your inputs guys. i like the e510 but i read some reviews and they say that it has a slow AF so i dont know. i want to buy a dslr because i want to learn about pro photography. i saw a deal on pentax k10d camera.. so now i am thinking about that too.

i've been thinking that canon xti has compactflash but pentax has SD. also the sales guy tells me that pentax has more pro features then canon and olympus. is that true? so compared with canon xti, olympus e510, and pentax k10d, which one would be a better choice? not for price choice, but for features.

K10D. No doubt about that--it's packed. Pentax has been making some great strides in the DSLR arena.

But take note, CF at the moment is much faster and available in higher capacities than SD. Microdives are FAT32 formatted...so they're up to 32GB. Speeds for read/write can also reach 40MB/s with 266x drives which would result in damn fast transfers to the computer.

D40 really sucks, and as far as I know, it's the same as the D40x other than the amount of pixels you get (correct me if im wrong, please). I'd go for the rebel XTi for sure.

D40 line is great if you're just starting into the SLR arena. It should handle most consumers needs and will deliver good results out the camera.

That said, you said you want go more in-depth into pro photography and would recommend something that will offer more which will allow to you better experiment and learn technique.

How much exactly are you willing to spend and what type of photography are you wanting to do? Walkaround? Sports? Landscapes? Nature/wildlife? Macro?

That'll help us to narrow down the body and lens which would work best.

hey dont bash my D40!!

its a good camera for being a entry level DSLR. the only negitive i have about it is the slow AF motor. other than that i enjoy it.

QFT, I myself went with a D40 because I had a analog Nikon SLR with old lenses, however my budget wouldn't let me go past that...

I'd personally say, look into the systems more - look at how much you would want to spend on the lenses you're going to upgrade to in a couple of months/years.

I sure know that I'm happy with the choice I made for my D40

Personally, Id hit up the XTi. Not dissing the D40, but after using one for a little bit this weekend (someone else's) I felt I was missing some features, along with it being really small, something which yo can fix with the XTi and a battery grip.

That plus the lack of an internal AF motor limits the good lenses (like the 50/1.8) which don't have motors themselves - whereas canon has the motor within the lens - for every lens

I currently have a Nikon d40x and I even say pass on it. No Internal AF motor means your missing out on tons of good lenses. I have been looking to upgrade so I can get the AF motor.

I suggest going with either the Canon or the Nikon, because you might start out with this camera but it's the lenses that really make the difference. And both C + N have great lenses. Moreso than Olympus.

I suggest going with either the Canon or the Nikon, because you might start out with this camera but it's the lenses that really make the difference. And both C + N have great lenses. Moreso than Olympus.

Dont get me started on the Olympus. :) lol.. But, I would go with the Canon, I don't wanna repeat what everyone else said about the Nikon.. :) I played with an older Rebel and I loved it.. heh.

I have a D50, and I was at target yesterday and saw a D40 so I picked it up. It only has THREE focus points (D50 has 5) and there's no secondary LCD on the top of the camera (I know the rebels don't have this either; it bugs me too). Those two things right there are a huge turn off to me.

I have a D50, and I was at target yesterday and saw a D40 so I picked it up. It only has THREE focus points (D50 has 5) and there's no secondary LCD on the top of the camera (I know the rebels don't have this either; it bugs me too). Those two things right there are a huge turn off to me.

It is quite sad to see them go, but that's just how smaller dslr's are designed nowadays. Very compact so the exposure settings are just displayed on the LCD display.

(300D/350D did have the secondary LCD btw ;))