Deciding between two cameras

Dont get me started on the Olympus. :)

Interested to explain? :) I'm just curious. Yeah their lenses line is somehow limited by you can always buy third party onces with excellent quality too, plus 2008 is pretty busy in their lens roadmap.

Tantawi, you love olympus way to much bro. :rofl:

i bet olympus loves you for all the plugs you give them though. :rofl:

/me hides his monthly check! :shifty:

Seriously though, I do love whatever is best for the price you're paying, before I got my Oly E-510 camera I was just a step away from a Nikon D50 or a Canon XTi but I made my mind and didn't regret it when I had a chance to use a friend's Canon XTi. Give me enough cash and I'll toss my Oly in the trash and jump on a Nikon D200/300 :D

It seems like the NVIDIA/ATI, or Intel/AMD on the CPU side, you just can't keep buying Intel just for the name, if AMD is better (they were someday), I'd get an AMD based system happily. The problem with switching brands if you have many lenses, but for someone just starting, it's wise to take time to study and select the best option for myself, so I just tell the world that Canon and Nikon isn't the only camera makers in the world :)

ok guys so after thinking through with the price and features ect. i just ordered the xti and i got 10% discount on top of it as well lol. cant wait till i get it ay.

Congratulations :D (Y) Don't forget to post photos in the gallery thread once you have it ;)

ok guys so after thinking through with the price and features ect. i just ordered the xti and i got 10% discount on top of it as well lol. cant wait till i get it ay.

Mind if I asked where you ordered from? In the market myself and I'm looking for good deals.

• 1 month later...

I am in a similar predicament as far as looking for an entry level SLR. Doing research I was either going to look get an Xti, 40x, or just recently I have been looking at the e510. I ended up getting an extremely good deal on the Xti, but am considering selling while it is still brand new and getting an e510. What do you guys have to say as far as complaints with the e510? Should I waste my time selling the Xti or just stick with it?

BTW I enjoy macro, landscape, and night/long exposure imaging as well as the basic photos of camping and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't see why you'd sell an XTi for a E510. The E510 does as far as I know have a 2x crop, and it's limited to 60 second exposures. I really really would stick with the XTi, seems a far better camera.

I am in a similar predicament as far as looking for an entry level SLR. Doing research I was either going to look get an Xti, 40x, or just recently I have been looking at the e510. I ended up getting an extremely good deal on the Xti, but am considering selling while it is still brand new and getting an e510. What do you guys have to say as far as complaints with the e510? Should I waste my time selling the Xti or just stick with it?

BTW I enjoy macro, landscape, and night/long exposure imaging as well as the basic photos of camping and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I have the E510, it's a great camera, but IMHO, If I had an XTi I wouldn't' sell it to get an E510, specially if the XTi was already bought cheap, I'd be just happy with it.

I'll repost a quick comparison between both that I wrote in a another older thread:

Why E-510 is better than the Xti:

1- Live View on LCD screen, lets you compose and shoot on the LCD like a point and shoot camera. (in additional to the viewfinder of course).

2- It has built-in sensor based anti-shake stabilization (works on every lens you'll attach to it, even legacy non automatic lenses).

3- It has spot metering option http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode#Spot_metering

4- A working anti-dust filter on the sensor that's proved to be the most efficient in industry.

5- Kit lenses is has ED glass and rated the best kit lenses you can get with any DSLR right now.

Why the XTi is better than the E-510:

1- 9-Point autofocus system (vs 3 on E-510).

2- Less nosier images at ISO 400+ (the difference is not dramatic though).

3- A bit larger viewfinder.

4- Better dynamic range without compensating exposure.

5- Wider selection of lenses (and probably cheaper lenses, law of supply and demand).

I don't see why you'd sell an XTi for a E510. The E510 does as far as I know have a 2x crop, and it's limited to 60 second exposures. I really really would stick with the XTi, seems a far better camera.

E-510 has a bulb option (with cable, remote, or manual to up to 30 minutes).

Thanks for the responses. I guess it is easy to get in the mode of constantly comparing cameras which really have so many more similarities than differences, especially when most of us on these forums are well-informed and somewhat technically oriented anyway. I will shoot with the Xti for a while and see how I like it. :)