'Slim & Lite' PlayStation 3 rumours surface

^^ But by making it smaller it creates less heat, therefore you can use a smaller hs&f combination keeping it at reasonable temperatures, that is what will help it get smaller.

Would be neat.

@ Above Poster: Just because the game division made profits doesn't mean they made profits for the hardware.

If not offer some speculation on where the profit came from?

If they were making a loss and the only thing holding them back was the PS3, for the PS3 to still be making a loss and for the games division to suddenly make a profit something else must have "boomed in profit" to cover and exceed hardware loses - Software? Highly doubt that.

I have already shown in this topic a profit is definitely being made in europe as a PS3 sells for the equivalent of $600 over here. The PS3 is said to cost $400 to make - There is a profit per system, not hard to see.

The PS3 has sold the most in Europe so even if the system is still losing a little in America, it is null as Europe covers the loses and exceeds them into the profit zone.

(Source for Europe selling most - http://www.vgchartz.com/ )

The mockups look gorgeous!!! I have been waiting for this to happen ever I held a friend of mine's original PS3 a few months back. Damn, those things are huge! I guess I'm used to the MUCH smaller 360 and Wii. I'm pretty sure the current PS3 is heavier/larger than my original Xbox, even though it has been modded to have 2 drives and more heat sinks.

Anyway, I know it's probably too early for a slim version, but the system hasn't exactly been selling well. I hope it's true.

I also hope for a price drop. :D

I'd say almost all of the profit is from the psp and ps2 sales.

Which is no doubt true, but sales from them have been stable.

The PS3 is no doubt making a profit in Europe, in USA and Japan I don't know, probably still a loss for what they make/sell them for.

Sony are only winning in Europe as the pound is soo strong against the dollar.

hahah huge jump in size from 65nm to 45nm.

http://www.nanooze.org/english/articles/ar...ananometer.html

read up children.

Do you know what a core shrink size mean in micro-processors?

It first mean, less heat, this will result in less heatsink needed to dispatch the heat, reducing the size, and the cost.

It also mean that they are doing more chips with the same plate, so again, it reduce costs.

T3 is not really a great source.

Plus their "mockups" look silly...

t3-ps3-slim-4_w606.jpg

The slim PS3 will come though, that's a given.

With the Cell chip moving to 45nm soon, it may happen this year, but I wouldn't bet on it for sure.

That image looks like PS3 has a child with Wii

Not to be an ass (even though I might be one) or anything but weren't people were bashing when MS came with 3 SKU's for 360. Now how many Sony's coming out with.

Non of these SKUs are crippled - they all include a harddrive..

Non of these SKUs are crippled - they all include a harddrive..

on the other hand, the PS3 is the ONLY console with SKU's with different hardware. HDMI 360's not included.

You mean BC?

hardly the only hardware changes done to the PS3. removal of ports and stuff. things that can't really just be added back on, unlike a HDD on a core/arcade. I'm just saying it's not a good idea t obring up HW differences between SKU's, the PS3 does worse in that department.

hardly the only hardware changes done to the PS3. removal of ports and stuff. things that can't really just be added back on, unlike a HDD on a core/arcade. I'm just saying it's not a good idea t obring up HW differences between SKU's, the PS3 does worse in that department.

Removal of USB ports/Card reader is easily remedied by either a USB hub/USB card reader.

4 USB ports was a little overkill. The PS3 and 360 now both have 2, and the only thing I use either of them for is controller charging.

The only thing to be peeved over is the removal of BC... everything else in every PS3 SKU lets you play PS3 games offline/online with no additional purchases.

Both MS & Sony made mistakes with their consoles, and both are argubaly worse than the other depending on your preferences/what you need in your console.

Cardreader and a USB hub can be added through the existing usb ports :p

But I see what you meant..

Removal of USB ports/Card reader is easily remedied by either a USB hub/USB card reader.

4 USB ports was a little overkill. The PS3 and 360 now both have 2, and the only thing I use either of them for is controller charging.

The only thing to be peeved over is the removal of BC... everything else in every PS3 SKU lets you play PS3 games offline/online with no additional purchases.

Both MS & Sony made mistakes with their consoles, and both are argubaly worse than the other depending on your preferences/what you need in your console.

First thing I liked the idea of 4 usb port, also the card reader was great when I can just pop in my CF card in the front of PS3 and be on my marry way to show off my goods. I really don't like the idea of having a small ****ty thing dangling over my PS3. Now I have 2 PS3, one is 60G (with all the bells and whistles) and other is 40G (the striper version). What I hate is I can play MGS in one of the console but not the other

If not offer some speculation on where the profit came from?

If they were making a loss and the only thing holding them back was the PS3, for the PS3 to still be making a loss and for the games division to suddenly make a profit something else must have "boomed in profit" to cover and exceed hardware loses - Software? Highly doubt that.

I have already shown in this topic a profit is definitely being made in europe as a PS3 sells for the equivalent of $600 over here. The PS3 is said to cost $400 to make - There is a profit per system, not hard to see.

The PS3 has sold the most in Europe so even if the system is still losing a little in America, it is null as Europe covers the loses and exceeds them into the profit zone.

(Source for Europe selling most - http://www.vgchartz.com/ )

Whoa, chill out. Why do you always automatically assume that I'm bashing the PS3? I have never once done so. The only reason I don't own one is because I can already get all the games I want on my 360. I'm simply saying you can't assume they made a profit off the consoles just because they made a profit for the entire division as a whole. There's nothing wrong with that statement. Heck, it was true for Microsoft for the longest time as well.

Tell me: if they only just now started manufacturing the PS3 at an equal cost or less than what they sell it for, how is it that they are making profit on the consoles right now? Do all the ones they've already shipped out magically get some sort of reduced manufacturing cost time-warping mechanism? It doesn't make sense. I'm sure there's a possibility that they could have decreased cost recently, but it's not going to have that far-reaching an effect, IMO.

And, yes, they make a profit in Europe. Never argued that. Heck, never argued they didn't make a profit. I said -- and I quote -- "Just because the game division made profits doesn't mean they made profits for the hardware." I never said they didn't make a profit.

Whoa, chill out. Why do you always automatically assume that I'm bashing the PS3? I have never once done so. The only reason I don't own one is because I can already get all the games I want on my 360. I'm simply saying you can't assume they made a profit off the consoles just because they made a profit for the entire division as a whole. There's nothing wrong with that statement. Heck, it was true for Microsoft for the longest time as well.

Tell me: if they only just now started manufacturing the PS3 at an equal cost or less than what they sell it for, how is it that they are making profit on the consoles right now? Do all the ones they've already shipped out magically get some sort of reduced manufacturing cost time-warping mechanism? It doesn't make sense. I'm sure there's a possibility that they could have decreased cost recently, but it's not going to have that far-reaching an effect, IMO.

And, yes, they make a profit in Europe. Never argued that. Heck, never argued they didn't make a profit. I said -- and I quote -- "Just because the game division made profits doesn't mean they made profits for the hardware." I never said they didn't make a profit.

I couldn't care less if you own a PS3 or not, that's up to yourself!

I'm not assuming they have made a profit, im trying to reasonably show why they will have made a profit - Of course I only go by internet articles, as hell, probably no one apart from Sony know exact figures/numbers sold.

TT said,

You do realise the only thing holding back profits was the PS3... right? If the game division made money, the PS3 in turn made money.

and I thought it was quite logical - What else could've been causing Sony a loss in their games division apart from the PS3?

I had to reiterate what I said, as yes the PS3 is probably still losing money in certain regions, but overall it's loses are turned into profit due to European sales probably earning them profit on the PS3 for a while.

It cost around $800 to make in nov 2006, and it will have decreased to $400 over time, it won't have just gone 800-400 in one day - Take into account Europe sold the PS3 at ?425 to start off which would of equaled around $850 - Now due to overheads I think they'd be breaking even/still losing in Europe, but the minute the PS3 cost around $600-700 Europe was probably starting to make profits on the PS3.

So I know they have just started manufacturing the PS3 at an equal cost to what it sells for in America, but over here in Europe they've probably been manufacturing it at less than it sells for for quite a while - Therefore the larger amount of hardware sales in Europe overall will of started to trounce the profit loses towards the 3rd quarter of last year and turn it into a profit overall on paper.

For a really simple example,

USA - In red by 10, Europe - In green by 15 = Profit of 5 overall. I have no idea how Japan fits into this as I don't know how strong the Yen is against the dollar.

I do admit I misread some of what you said though.

seen this in the T3 mag i got thru the post and i was like woot woot. Looks anorexic! But slick at the same time.

Also 360 has 3 USB ports not 2. 2 at the front and one at the back

seen this in the T3 mag i got thru the post and i was like woot woot. Looks anorexic! But slick at the same time.

Also 360 has 3 USB ports not 2. 2 at the front and one at the back

I hope the new PS3 will have USB ports in the back too..

It looks like a wii minus the base and plus a huge parasite growing off its side :p. A redesigned slim PS3 is much farther down the road, I think. We're talking at least a couple of years more. I'll be glad to see one though. Despite the awkwardness of the mockup, the design still looks cool.