[Review] Shure SE210 Earphones

Martyn

I thought I would post my review of the Shure SE210 earphones that I wrote a while ago. Mainly because I liked saxondale's review, and I thought I would offer my opinion of the somewhat cheaper model (compared to the SE530's) so people can see the differences between the two products, hopefully it will help those who are looking to purchase a pair of Shure earphones. Anyway, as with my MacBook review, you can read this on my blog here if you would like to...

I have been on the lookout for a good pair of earphones for a while now, and it finally looks like I may have found the right earphones for me. I listen to a lot of music on my iPod when travelling to and from Uni and frequently around the University itself. I also tend to watch a lot of TV or films on my computer, and when I do not want to disturb others I often plug my earphones into the jack on my speakers remote.

071115(1).jpg

First of all, I am having to force myself to be technically correct in this post, I am pretty used to referring to my “earphones” as “headphones”…but I shall try and adhere to being technical and refer to my “new things that get shoved down my ear” as “earphones”.

Well anyway, I quite liked my last pair of earphones, a pair of Creative EP-630’s which served me well for just over a year before the right earphone decided to annoyingly conk out on me. The EP-630’s offered a lot of bass, but I have been on the lookout for a better pair of earphones for a while now, and with my old earphones breaking that forced my hand.

So I continued my search for a pair of earphones that met my requirements and seemed to be fairly reliable, or at least had a good guarantee. So yes…my “particular requirements”…the plug must be straight (those 90 degree ones really get on my ######) and also the wires must be symmetrical (not those stupid ones you strangle yourself with and wrap around your head twenty times). In the end I settled on the Shure SE210 sound isolating earphones.

071115(2).jpg

The initial impressions of the sound quality of the SE210’s was excellent. Everything is so clear and precise that you really can tell the difference in bit rate between tracks you listen to. Ordinary earphones do not tend to pick up those tiny details, but it is the tiny details that help make a song what it is.

The song I christened my new earphones with was Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, a personal favourite, and after listening to that song I knew I had invested in a quality pair of earphones. There are two real types of earphones today in terms of listening, and it really depends on what you are looking for from your music. Some earphones provide a very warm type of music, whilst others offer more bass. The SE210’s focus on delivering a rich and warm music to your ears.

071115(3).jpg

So to conclude, the Shure SE210 earphones have cracking sound quality. Although, as yet I am undecided as to whether they justify the retail price of ?99.99…although I “only” paid ?69.99 on Play.com!

For those interested, my blog is UnknownLogic.com

Damo R.

Good review (Y)

I need to get some new headphones after my new ones broke :(

Might invest in some expensive ones.

Martyn

Cheers Damien.

And congrats on the soon to be 20,000 posts :D

Quillz

I think Shure makes some of the best earbuds in the industry. I currently have a new pair of SE530, but before, I had the older E3c, which is kind of an in-between model. All of them were great, except the E3c had a really flimsy post and it broke...

Lqv2015

I've tried these. Good but no bass at all though.

Martyn

I think there is bass. As I said in my review, the SE210's deliver a richer, warmer sound rather than an ear bashing dose of 500% bass. However, there is still an adequate amount of bass, at least for me.

I remember my EP-630's delivered a lot of bass, but I enjoy the warmer sound provided by my SE210's these days.

Ficman

That was my take as well...

Chlorpromazine

How would you guys compare SE210 to the SE110? I purchased the latter ones upgrading from Sennheiser CX300, their ultra-bass definitely annoyed me and I was looking for something more balanced and with higher impedance.

For their price (about 100€ here in Italy) I'm more than satisfied, but I'm wondering if the extra 50€ I could have spent on the 210 would have made my ears happier.