18 year old crashes M5, kills 4 others

Its not about being responsible teenagers, responsible parents. Teenagers, well anyone under 25 without however many years driving experience should not be allowed to drive a high performance car.

Pilots need 1000's of hours experience in order to fly large aircraft (1500), drivers of high performance cars should have to follow similar rules, but altered for situation.

You're comparing a Neon to an M5?

Yes I am. I hope your not confused for a regular Dodge Neon. There ARE Dodge SRT-4's out there with 500+HP (stage kits, nos, turbo, etc). I have heard of people who are 19, total them on highways because they were stupidly speeding and they amazing lived. I was just saying....this isn't a good look for the younger audience. Just another bad name to give to us which isn't fair to us more responsable 18+ year old drivers.

And for the record: who the hell lets their 18 year old son drive their dads $80, 000 2008 BMW M5 at 3:30 AM in the morning to begin with?

From the pic it looks to me like he was being irresponsible and tried to see how fast he could push the M5 with probably very little driving experince and even less or none handling a high performance vehicle. Not saying that kids should be allowed to drive such vehicles because there will always be the hoon driver who wants to drive really fast in a nice car who basically doesn't know how.

Well to be honest,you give a inexperienced teen a fast car like that.I know of a lot of accidents that resemble this.Some pretty messed up,and some with a couple dents on there bumpers.My cousin had gotten a brand new Mazda Rx-8.Almost killed us on the freeway,trying to make a wide turn.The right rear mirror came off.That whole side was dented for scratching against the wall.The Car leaned to the right,but suddenly just dropped back on all four wheels.Oh,i forgot to mention it was on one of those narrow roads that curve and keep spiraling.It's the freeways here in the bayarea.They freak me out all that water under me.Anyways,I feel bad and realized I have been one of the lucky ones.

well ... i dont get it .. why give a kid such a car to drive .... i know when i got my licence my parents let me drive the bucket of rust for a year and then thei said, want to drive get yourself insurance ... and hell with a 200$ insurance on my ass i said no ... none the less the bucket of rust helped a lot ... so i am wondering ... if you have a BMW why don't you get your child a .. lets say a neon (used) or some small car that they would not eb able to go faster than 130km/h ... stupid accident but it does show .. having $ = stupidity at <25

I'm 27 and have been driving "high performance" cars since I was 20. In the past 6 years I have learned a lot about proper driving technique, but the most important lesson of all was that I still have a long way to go. Driving school was especially sobering, as I realized that I wasn't nearly as good as I thought I was.

My heart truly goes out to this kid's family. If I ever have kids, and that's a big "if", and they take an interest in cars, I won't let them go solo in any high performance car until they're at least 21.

man, id hate to be that poor lads dad!

not only has he totalled my M5 but killed himself & 4 of his mates.

but looking objectively what the F was his dad smoking letting an 18yr old boyracer drive his M5!!!

Gawd im 35 and only this year was I allowed to drive my old mans Bentley Brooklands without him there! lol,never been a problem cos tbh big high performance cars aint my thing, gimme a small 2/4 seater coupe anyday ;)

Ill make sure this isnt wasted though, my 16 year old son wants to learn to drive in my cars when hes 17.....errr no! No way is he learning or using a Celica SSII or the Eunos roadster, ill buy a fiesta or better still a Panda!

Im actually gobsmacked that the owner was able to allow anyone under 25 drive such a high performance vehicle on his insurance policy tbh

What a terrible accident and it's said that such thing can and did happen. The kid is 18 and indeed too young to drive such car but it's still shocking to read such news. My condolences to the families.

It does seem as if the US has slack rules concerning high-end sport cars and teenagers. Here in Belgium you have to be 23-years to drive a Porsche, Bentley, BMW M5, Audi RS4, ... .

Edited by Couch Potato

Unfortunately there are many many more that AREN'T.

And as the saying goes "those that ruin it for one, ruin it for all".

Tbh, they DO need to raise the driving limit.

I'm going to have to disagree here. I'm willing to bet that many more teens are responsible drivers than aren't. I'm also willing to bet that more accidents and tragedies are caused by middle-aged drivers than by teens - you just don't hear about the latter as often because teens are easier to pick on. Now that's not to say I could easily imagine an adult doing something this stupid, but that's beyond the point.

It's also very impractical in this day and age to not let teens drive. We practically force teens into jobs even before the legal driving age already, on top of school, on top of a social life, and they need a means to get around, and I'm willing to bet that parents aren't going to be taking them everywhere. Not to mention if you take away their privelage to drive, you destroy a decent part of our already **** economy because a rather large demographic will have major problems getting jobs so they can make money to go spend on things.

-Spenser

I'm 19 and a responsible driver, this accident didn't happen because of the car, if he had a 1960 VW beetle, he would've killed himself as well...

yea he was active at m5board.com

the owner of the car was his father. his last post on the forum was several hours before the accident. he went on about how he was a very responsible driver and could handle a 500+ hp car.

Of course, everyone thinks they're as skilled as Michael Schumacher.

It's a terrible tragedy and it was easily preventable.

There are plenty of people over 25 who drink drive.....

How fast was he going to "fly" 200ft ??

I'm 19 and a responsible driver, this accident didn't happen because of the car, if he had a 1960 VW beetle, he would've killed himself as well...

It happened because he thought he could drive at excessive speeds to impress his mates.

If the driving age is raised, to say 25 likes been mentioned, there will still be the problem on unexperienced drivers, Yeah, they may be a little more mature, but they still wouldn't have had much experience on the road.

From the pic it looks to me like he was being irresponsible and tried to see how fast he could push the M5 with probably very little driving experince and even less or none handling a high performance vehicle. Not saying that kids should be allowed to drive such vehicles because there will always be the hoon driver who wants to drive really fast in a nice car who basically doesn't know how.

Yeah, and with less than about 30 seconds of theoretical drive time before the end of the run way, I guess they didn't keep an eye on the clock.

Wow he even says it was his first manual transmission car.

The best line on the M5board that sums things up:

Please drive responsibily as the life you take might not just be your own
Edited by Doli

Lunatic!

I'd raise the min driving age to 25. Yobs have no place behind the wheels of anything before that, and that goes for drinking too.

if the min age was raised to 25, this type of thing wouldnt be happening with 18 years but 25 year old, as they would have hte same ammount of driving experience

Just take some time and read what this young guy wrote on the M5board.... Hey, he was driving pedal to the metal at 140mph and he said he was still learning to shift because the other cars were all auto...

So yeah, STUPID dad, and a very irresponsible thing to do, only to impress buds... Let your 18yo kid with your M5 at 3h AM.... WTF?!

He died, but killed friends also.

If I was the dad, I would be VERY ashamed of myself and I'd go hide someplace.

This is a lesson to all of us who do occasionally drive fast. I'm guilty of this because I drive a sports car myself. I've always wanted a M5, but I'm not even 20 yet and I'd probably end up killing myself like this guy did.

It's very sad to see this happen to a young kid in the wrong car, but its bound to happen. He's not the only 18 year old driving a $75,000 + car around here.

I feel bad for the families of the victims and the driver, this is a very unfortunate event.

RIP: E60 M5 - another one off the roads... :(