• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

When Vista SP1 RTM is available...

TheTripleX    0

Well, that build that was previously posted (also known as the second refresh) might actually be the final SP1 build. I mean, why not? Everything pointed to it being the final one.

Raa    1,590
Well, that build that was previously posted (also known as the second refresh) might actually be the final SP1 build. I mean, why not? Everything pointed to it being the final one.

And yet no credible source has shown up saying it is, after all this time?

No, I dont think so. If it is the final, why are MS delaying until March? Even on MSDN and connect? (yeah I know, driver problems is the claimed reason)

+Audioboxer    2,876

No, I dont think so. If it is the final, why are MS delaying until March? Even on MSDN and connect? (yeah I know, driver problems is the claimed reason)

One thing I think the delay may be about is that they want to block out those OEM Bios hacks.

Right now they aren't blocked - Maybe they are struggling to find a way to do it without blocking out legit OEM machines?

Who knows? :/

TheTripleX    0

Not sure, but they posted the final documents about SP1 on their download site.

I believe that they're pushing it until March just because they want to send it to OEMs (hence the RTM) and have a good supply of SP1 disks. Could be this or the fact that they always delay the official releases (Vista was released in November, official consumer release was in January, more than two months apart).

nekrosoft13    748
You're ABSOLUTELY right. Win2k8 is indeed build 18000.

What relevance does that have to Vista SP1 final? Why, nothing at all!

Still, it's good info to know :)

server 2008 and sp1 was side by side development, they have the same build numbers.

same reason why they delayed vista. they want companies to catch up and create drivers, just in case.

also they want to space out the official WU release, so servers don't crash.

nxm    0

just did some analys on the streaming method of getting rtm sp1 for vista (windowsupdate method, with registry adding)

first:

uninstall al previous (any) / beta servicepack1 installations from your vista system. reboot.

then run as administrator this script:

@echo off
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp1 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSP1 /f > NUL 2>&1
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp1 /v Beta1 /t REG_SZ /d dcf99ef8-d784-414e-b411-81a910d2761d /f
IF NOT %errorlevel% == 0 ( goto ERROR)

:SUCCESS
%SystemRoot%\system32\wuapp.exe
goto END

:ERROR
@echo.
echo ===========================================================
echo error
echo ===========================================================
@echo.
pause
goto END

:END

(batch file / cmd file). save with notepad as .bat or .cmd, then rightclick runas admin etc....

then go to winupdate and download the smaller updates first. it asks you to reboot several times. always recheck the winupdate service.

finally it starts loading the servicepack 18000 build from january 18th, 2008, 18:40 buildtime

anyways, the interesting thing is what it is actually loading off the winupdate servers:

TCP_MISS/206 271183 GET http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2008/01/spclitegfx_cba52dcbb98fcc4d2f40e632150f697ce5966d61.exe

TCP_MISS/206 16337719 GET http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2008/02/windows6.0-kb936330-x86-express_637ae88e48c41a2f3420d61be2149b02caa77623.cab

and finally the big one (over 700megs of size, its being used as a stream, so the winupdate client only gets the bytes from it (probably an image file (like iso or something which can "extract" stuff from right inside it, no archive, as it wouldnt be able to unpack if only getting certain parts/bytes from the middle of an archive (consistency)) that your computer actually needs.... but this big file could actually also bee some .iso image of the actual servicepack standalone or even the .exe downloader complete with all the released languages (30something...)

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2008/02/windows6.0-kb936330-x86-neutral_5328f51df73e25b72ad7089e8e6b23a30c1c643e.psf

try to check it out yourselves and post some more hints.

good luck and happy debugging&anal-yzing ;p

SkyyPunk    39

Well that reg info is what is on connect for the RC Refresh 2 enabler...not sure why that would now give you RTM?

nxm    0
Well that reg info is what is on connect for the RC Refresh 2 enabler...not sure why that would now give you RTM?

that reg key is just the enabler for sp1 in general, no connection or reference to a special build.

the current build of sp1 is rtm by now. thats why that regkey gives youu xs to rtm.

will you guys ever start to believe? install it yourself and stop arguing or rumouring around.

SkyyPunk    39
will you guys ever start to believe? install it yourself and stop arguing or rumouring around.

Haven't seen concrete proof yet, and isnt this a rumour its RTM (since it hasnt been confirmed what build number it will be), as opposed to me knowing its the exact code to activate RC R2?

nekrosoft13    748
It is a rumour that the file being downloaded now from Windows Update is RTM is what I was trying to say

both 2008 and sp1 have the same build

http://apcmag.com/7960/microsoft_replaces_...a_kernel_in_SP1

build version of server 2008 been confirmed few times

marc2003    11
both 2008 and sp1 have the same build

http://apcmag.com/7960/microsoft_replaces_...a_kernel_in_SP1

build version of server 2008 been confirmed few times

i don't trust that article. i know it's front page news here but i don't buy it. i'm running the same build myself. i could easily have done those screenshots. would you believe me if i said it was so? i think not. :p

the windows 2008 build is easy to confirm because loads of MSDN users have access to it. :)

ManMountain    56

I still believe this to be the SP1 Microsoft intended for release. Irrespective of whether it is or isn't, delayed to due to driver problems or something else, come March a quick 10 min PC restore and I'll just download and apply the corrected SP1.

Edited by ManMountain

Pikey    32

Why the mad rush ?

Give it a few days and let some other mug test it first I say !!

Raa    1,590

Okay, so Win2k8 and Vista SP1 have the same build numbers.

Uptil the end of their development, yes that's quite true. What's to say that SP1 hasnt had more development done? Why the delays? Do you think they're just "holding SP1 in a folder" for release? I doubt that.

There is NO PROOF that they STILL have the same build number.

Thiere is no source showing that SP1 RTM Final is out, or what build number it is.

Anyone saying they "have it" has not been able to back this up! (Torrents do NOT count)

Evolution    16

How do we figure out what build we have on our own computers? I'd like to see if there is a difference when installing "RTM" with the method listed above.

Shabador    0

The 6001.18000.080118-1840-build is the RC1 Refresh 2 (a.k.a RC3) at least. But I somehow have a gut-feeling that's the build they sent to RTM. Wild speculations I know, but is plausible.

No one will ever know 100% before MS releases it on connect (if they do that), or comes with a statement. Afaik there is no confirmation from MS that the 080118-1840-build had a huge bug either.

I'm using a slipstreamed vlited 64-bit version of this, and haven't noticed any problems with it (Didn't have any problems with the first RC either though).

Edited by Shabador

TheTripleX    0

Microsoft wanted Windows Server 2008 and Vista SP1 to share the same code, hence the same build number. If Windows Server 2008 had build number 18000, then so would SP1. It makes sense. Sure, you can debate all day about it, but in the end Microsoft always waited some time before going public with anything. It took them two and a half months to release Vista after RTM, why wouldn't they wait for SP1? They haven't even released Windows Server 2008. I guess they're trying to release them all at once, in one big happy day.

For the build number use Everest.

For the most likely SP1 use the hack.

PS: the files on the Windows Server 2008 image all have the 19th of January 2008 as the date of creation. Why wouldn't SP1 RTM be the latest leaked build?

Raa    1,590
...then so would SP1.

WRONG! You're guessing.

They haven't even released Windows Server 2008.

WRONG AGAIN! It's available now on MSDN & Connect.

Why wouldn't SP1 RTM be the latest leaked build?

The better question is, why would it? There is NO PROOF that Win2k8 and SP1 will have the same build numbers.

Shabador    0
WRONG! You're guessing.

WRONG AGAIN! It's available now on MSDN & Connect.

You're guessing it's wrong. ^^

As I wrote earlier. No-one will know for certain untill MS confirms. But the latest refresh is working nicely at least.

Raa    1,590
You're guessing it's wrong.

But the latest refresh is working nicely at least.

You're also guessing. Provide some reliable sources, otherwise no deal.

And yes, the latest refresh is pretty good, hopefully the final polishes off a few things! :)

Shabador    0
You're also guessing. Provide some reliable sources, otherwise no deal.

And yes, the latest refresh is pretty good, hopefully the final polishes off a few things! :)

They should merge the two topics about this subject. Cross-posting is tiresome. :p

I never claimed anything I said (or ever say) is accurate information. It's all guessing. But to blatantly say it's wrong, is also guessing. There is a possibility. :)

At the moment we can conclude: The RC3 could be RTM. Or it could not be. We won't find out untill MS releases a statement.

ChopSuey    49

The 6001.18000.080118-1840-build is the RTM build. Why do I believe this? Because the Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 is the same build, and this has been officially released on Microsoft's web site. Click here for proof. Why would they release a new build after the AIK is officially released?