When Vista SP1 RTM is available...

The 6001.18000.080118-1840-build is the RTM build ...Because the Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 is the same build, and this has been officially released on Microsoft's web site. Why would they release a new build after the AIK is officially released?

That is NOT confirmed. You are speculating.

Just because the AIK has been finalised and is released with that build number does NOT mean that the final of SP1 will be the same. (Which has NOT been released)

Just because the AIK has been finalised and is released with that build number does NOT mean that the final of SP1 will be the same. (Which has NOT been released)

You have the biggest case of denial I have ever read.

You have the biggest case of denial I have ever read.

Haha... I totally agree. I can't wait to come back to this thread and say... "I TOLD YOU SO!" ;)

But that's okay... he's entitled to his opinion. :whistle:

Whenever they release it I'm more interested on whether we can slipstream SP1 into Vista DVD :-S

Not officially, no. Apparently there are methods you can do this using the AIK, but I havent read into it yet.

RenderItBlue : I dont take that personally, but thanks for saying it anyway.

Chopsuey : I sure am, like everyone else is :)

There is no way I am going to install anything over my vista until someone provides a download URL that points to microsoft.com.

The last few service packs for XP had download URLs from microsoft.com before they officially released it. Thats what I'm waiting for. Anything else ain't final no matter what anyone says.

You guys have to realise that they don't take the beta tags out of a release on the day it goes gold. They take the tags out several days before and set the build number so that they can continue testing to make sure that taking the tags out doesn't break anything. They still have plenty of time to make last minute updates.

signed, a software dev.

From an employee on the Microsoft Connect newsgroups:

Windows Vista SP1 build 18000 is indeed the RTM build. We were hoping build

18000 we released to you (WU only) was the final build and as it happens we

didn't have to break the glass, the build didn't change at all from the time

we released it to you and our final sign-off on Monday morning this week.

What you got is what we're all running our Vista machines here internally -

we definitely RTM'd :)

You've probably all read that we are targeting mid-March to release SP1

standalone on the download center and push SP1 out via WU. We've seen a lot

of requests from our tech beta for bits on Connect before hand we're still

trying to get approval for that, so stay tuned.

We apologize for the confusion over the final build - build 18000, Vista SP1

RTM.

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks for the info, oqwarrior :) Now I do not have to worry about reinstalling anytime soon.

EDIT: And officially change my sig, lol.

Edited by midway40

I told you so Raa!!! ;) :laugh: :woot: :p

Ahh.. I love being right. :) *I'm just kidding, I could have been totally wrong too.*

I told you so Raa!!! ;) :laugh: :woot: :p

Ahh.. I love being right. :) *I'm just kidding, I could have been totally wrong too.*

Microsoft.Windows.Vista.SP1.Update.32Bit.RTM.Build.6001.18000.Read.NFO-nDn

someone posted it somewhere........

ps. Full Build tag is: 6001.18000.rtm.080118-1840

Microsoft.Windows.Vista.SP1.Update.32Bit.RTM.Build.6001.18000.Read.NFO-nDn

someone posted it somewhere........

ps. Full Build tag is: 6001.18000.rtm.080118-1840

I can confirm this. Downloading at 500kB/s.

Can someone PLEASE explain the rush to install something that may or may not be the final version (and may need to be uninstalled) when the actual product will be available in a matter of weeks?

The RTM build has gone out to reviewers, and as Smitty pointed out on the neowin comments, Paul Thurrott's screenshots of the final RTM include a shot of the registry holding the build numbers.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...sp1_screens.asp

bottom right picture shows :

BuildLab : 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840

BuildLabEx : 6001.18000.x86fre.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840

While this may indeed be the build that will be released to manufacture, there is no guaranty that it is. Everyone is clearly free to do as he wishes, but personally - given the short time frame involved - I'd wait for the final release on the Microsoft web site.

While this may indeed be the build that will be released to manufacture, there is no guaranty that it is. Everyone is clearly free to do as he wishes, but personally - given the short time frame involved - I'd wait for the final release on the Microsoft web site.

I wouldn't touch a non MS download of an SP without verified (by MS) crc32 and md5's. Even then probably not as it's been stated using a download from a non MS server invalidates the license.

I installed Sp1 late last night and i have to admit my laptop certainly runs a lot better not tried moving large files to test the improvements that side of things .What i was quite shocked about though was as you install it it tells you it will need upto 7 gig of hard drive space for the 32 bit version and upto 15 gig for the 64 bit version which bearing in mind quite a few people have vista on laptops these days that is a hefty chunk of disk space used before you install anything else :o