0 bytes of space left on the C: drive

You can't use Hijack This! (unless it's already installed)... With another PC it would have possible to make it on a USB drive or CD...

So go in TaskManager, see all users process, and give us any process names that you find strange and in the view menu, go in columns to get the command line and look for any exec (bat as well) that are runned from strange folder

The manifest files aren't anything to worry about. As long as your system is able to re-start and boot up, the situation doesn't appear critical...

Still, you need to get to the bottom of it.

The manifest files aren't anything to worry about. As long as your system is able to re-start and boot up, the situation doesn't appear critical...

Still, you need to get to the bottom of it.

Thank you. That is a little more comforting. Especially after my anti-virus (Kaspersky) showed that "There were no threats" :s :s :s

OK, +NienorGT and others. These are the processes I don't recognise, in the Task Manager. Obviously some may be OK (such as SearchIndexer.exe and winlogon.exe), however, I do not know for sure.

Also, there seem to be A LOT of processes with dodgy command lines, which include the text 'svc' :s whatever that means? It could be legit, but I don't know:

? agrsmsvc.exe (in the folder 'C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe')

? alg.exe (in the folder 'C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe')

? audiodg.exe (with no folder and command line - there is just a blank space in that column)

? CISVC.EXE (in the folder 'C:\Windows\system32\CISVC.EXE

?

Edited by cJr.

Yeh. It was about 40GB allocated on each drive, and I'm pretty sure it was around 16GB I had free on Drive C:\, after Vista and some other programs were installed. It could be more or less, but that is what I vaguely remember.

Edited by cJr.

Try CCleaner to free up some space temporarily. Excellent junk-removing program :)

And you wouldn't need another program for the partitions. If you're going to format them, Windows can do that (just delete the partitions and make a new one; no need for "merging" them).

(Note: I haven't installed Vista personally, yet, so incase I'm wrong, let me know. But I figured that it was safe to assume that Vista can delete and create partitions.)

You don't have "Disk Quotas" enabled (in Drive Properties), by any chance, do you?

No I don't have Disk "Quotas" enabled, just double checked. Thank you very much for the input though as that could well have been the problem :).

Try CCleaner to free up some space temporarily. Excellent junk-removing program :)

And you wouldn't need another program for the partitions. If you're going to format them, Windows can do that (just delete the partitions and make a new one; no need for "merging" them).

(Note: I haven't installed Vista personally, yet, so incase I'm wrong, let me know. But I figured that it was safe to assume that Vista can delete and create partitions.)

Thanks, I've been using CCleaner for a while now and that is what I was using, along with Disk Cleanup, the first time, a few days ago. It didn't seem to remove much, if anything, though for some strange reason the other day :s

I don't know anything about the partitions, so I will wait till another day this week to sort that out, when/if I have to re-format my hard drive. Thank you for the advice.

lol this thread is actually kinda fun to read

Lol, ok... what bit is fun? lol. :p Is it because of my lack of knowledge about computers?

before you start reformatting stuff, boot into safe mode and do a virus scan from there with KAV or NOD, which ever you prefer. as for manually searching. just go to start > search and search for folders under 2kb and see if there are a bunch of folders with random characters for names

formatting it will delete everything on your hard drive. so you will have to re-install your programs after installing your OS (photoshop, office, etc.). so you need your windows cd and it's product key before you do this

merging the partitions you need a program like Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic. windows can't do it

A little offtopic but... Vista can merge the partitions i believe. XP etc cannot.

Thank you. That is a little more comforting. Especially after my anti-virus (Kaspersky) showed that "There were no threats" :s :s :s

OK, +NienorGT and others. These are the processes I don't recognise, in the Task Manager. Obviously some may be OK (such as SearchIndexer.exe and winlogon.exe), however, I do not know for sure.

Also, there seem to be A LOT of processes with dodgy command lines, which include the text 'svc' :s whatever that means? It could be legit, but I don't know:

? agrsmsvc.exe (in the folder 'C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe')

? alg.exe (in the folder 'C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe')

? audiodg.exe (with no folder and command line - there is just a blank space in that column)

? CISVC.EXE (in the folder 'C:\Windows\system32\CISVC.EXE

?

• CISVC.EXE (in the folder 'C:\Windows\system32\CISVC.EXE

Can you kill this process? If so, this is NOT good. It's a virus. I had it on my old laptop (it was running XP, but, I think that's irrelevant) and it ate my processor resources for breakfast. While I've never known it to fill up my entire hard drive, why trust a virus not to do something? Kapersky should have killed it, but just tell it to scan the system32 folder for any viruses.

If you can't, then, not to worry :p

ALSO: How to get a live boot of Linux:

Download an ISO of knoppix from here:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html#

I suggest selecting the HTTP version from whatever mirror you chose, and I suggest one closest to your county/state. It'll be just under 700 MB, so the speed will depend on your broadband :) Obviously, download it to your E: drive. You'll need a version of Nero, or if Vista does it (haven't tried it myself yet), burn all of the contents of the ISO to a CD. I think extracting everything using WinRAR and burning that might work if you're desperate, but I'm not sure. Once it's burnt, keep the CD in your main disc drive and restart the machine and it should auto boot from the CD.

If memory serves me correctly, there should be a computer icon on the desktop in Knoppix, but if it isn't, it should be in the start menu. Knoppix isn't all too dissimilar to windows in respect to what you want to do, so you should be fine :)

Can you kill this process? If so, this is NOT good. It's a virus. I had it on my old laptop (it was running XP, but, I think that's irrelevant) and it ate my processor resources for breakfast. While I've never known it to fill up my entire hard drive, why trust a virus not to do something? Kapersky should have killed it, but just tell it to scan the system32 folder for any viruses.

If you can't, then, not to worry :p

ALSO: How to get a live boot of Linux:

Download an ISO of knoppix from here:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html#

I suggest selecting the HTTP version from whatever mirror you chose, and I suggest one closest to your county/state. It'll be just under 700 MB, so the speed will depend on your broadband :) Obviously, download it to your E: drive. You'll need a version of Nero, or if Vista does it (haven't tried it myself yet), burn all of the contents of the ISO to a CD. I think extracting everything using WinRAR and burning that might work if you're desperate, but I'm not sure. Once it's burnt, keep the CD in your main disc drive and restart the machine and it should auto boot from the CD.

If memory serves me correctly, there should be a computer icon on the desktop in Knoppix, but if it isn't, it should be in the start menu. Knoppix isn't all too dissimilar to windows in respect to what you want to do, so you should be fine :)

Sadly, you need some space to burn a CD.

And CISVC.exe is NOT a virus. False Alarm. It just has some issues which causes it to hog your system. It is put in there by Microsoft.

I would assume that he would use another PC for that. Just like he would for downloading any other utilities or virus-scanning boot disks and such. ;)

Sorry, I'm just awake since 2 mins...

Just to say that my Vista partition right now have only 15GB... (It's not a permanent install though) so it's not the problem.

Do you run a Toshiba Harddrive? If you don't end the process TODDSrv.exe. Even if you do have a toshiba harddrive, just ebd it [try], it is a backup sort of a utility, so maybe it is causing problems.

Yes it is a TOSHIBA harddrive, but for some reason I just checked my processes again and I cannot find it :s (I have restarted my computer since.

And CISVC.exe is NOT a virus. False Alarm. It just has some issues which causes it to hog your system. It is put in there by Microsoft.

Ok, thank you. I will leave it there for the time being then...unless it is safe to end?

I would assume that he would use another PC for that. Just like he would for downloading any other utilities or virus-scanning boot disks and such. ;)

I don't have another PC in my possession, but I MAY be able to use one of the flatmate's laptops for that (if they don't mind).

Sorry, I'm just awake since 2 mins...

Just to say that my Vista partition right now have only 15GB... (It's not a permanent install though) so it's not the problem.

Ok thank you, that's OK then. Now I just need to figure out why my C:\ drive is now saying 424KB instead of 16GB :p

Oh, sorry about that, I've always been lead to believe it was

Wait, Windows report the total size of the partition as 424kb?

No, sorry, I meant it was telling me there is only 424KB free, rather than about 16GB (which there should be after Vista and my programs are installed).

This is the problem I need to sort and it just won't! :( IT keeps changing how much is free somehow. Now it is telling me I have 117MB free :s

Reboot in safe mode with command prompt and try this. Sounds like your drive has a couple issues.

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

BOOTCFG /REBUILD

CHKDSK /F

OK thank you. I will try all of those in that order. It won't lose any of my files or programs will it?

(EDIT: Please read my new post below this. I think I have found the problem and need to know if I am right. If I am not right please answer my question in this post and I will try those Command Prompt things)

Edited by cJr.

OK, important update to the situation here lol:

I ran TreeSize Free (after the person who recommended it to me in this thread and also another forum topic on the Internet I found of someone with the same problem as me and I think I may have found the problem).

There is a folder from my Kaspersky Anti-Virus inside a folder called 'Program Data' which seems to be taking up 29GB.

Please look at the screenshot. Am I right? If so, can I delete any of the folders in this 'Program Data' folder? Or indeed, delete the 'Program Data' folder itself?? It would give me 29 GB of free space, wouldn't it? lol.

Phew, I'm so glad I think I've found what the problem is. Please can anyone tell me if I am right?

Screenshot:

post-194916-1202260430_thumb.jpg

Are you using a Beta version of Kaspersky? :blink:

I got that "bug" testing KIS7 where KIS was always crashing and making report again and again and again...

But you would have noticed if KAV where crashing no?

Anyway, delete the content of your Report folder the way I shoved you...

EKKK, DON'T DELETE "Program Data" lol! Just the content inside "Report" folder in KAV folder.